Morrisons BIo Diesel...

Leon-y-k

To perhaps resurrect an old thread...

I've just been on the phone to Morrison's customer services, who were about as useful as a chocolate ashtray. In the end I spoke to my local "Bio diesel" stockest who was going to confirm the specs - until she told me it was the same price. At that point I thanked her for her help and ended the call.

Obviously I've now read the specs above - but seriously, what's the point? Bio diesel for the same price as regular? You can't even argue an environmental benefit as for a start it's only 30% bio and secondly when did diesels become environmentally friendly?? Argh.

Still, rant over.

What is the point? There isn't one really. If the 30% was sourced from waste product then it is environmentally and morally better to use but i don't think this product is. The spec of it will be EN590 which is the same as regular diesel.

Diesels do pump out less CO2 generally however they pump out some other nasty stuff but this isn't causing the planet any harm (Not in a public aware sense anyway ;) ) so at the moment they are in favour. Don't worry someone will come along in 10 years time and tells us all how we will all get cancer from the fumes making them unpopular again.

If your local stockest is selling b100 from WVO then there is a great advantage as your reusing a waste product an dit pumps out less of the nasty stuff. It's not all about the price.

If you drive a Ford TDCI engined car, if you put 30% Bio Diesel in your car, it will invalidate your warranty. They have only been tested for 5% bio diesel apparently.

They will have been tested far above this as regualr pump diesel that everyone uses can exceed 10% Bio sometimes and this will probably increase in time.

The warranty issue will be the case with most new common rail diesels as well as the last lot of PD's. Doesn't stop them running fine on it though.

Handbook on my 04 1.4tdi (book dated 08.03) says -

Performance MAY be reduced.

Fuel consumption May increase slightly

if you switch to driving with biofuel.

Then goes on to say "Biodiesel conforming to E51 606 can be mixed in any desired ratio with diesel fuel conforming to E590.We recommend using diesel at temperatures below -10."

Then there's a caution only to use diesel at E590.

But given the pricedifference between bio and ordinary at the nearest Morrisons ( bio a lot dearer) ,think I'll stick to neat stuff (or at least till the prices even out ,or drop)

They will have been tested far above this as regualr pump diesel that everyone uses can exceed 10% Bio sometimes and this will probably increase in time.

The warranty issue will be the case with most new common rail diesels as well as the last lot of PD's. Doesn't stop them running fine on it though.

Well we've all had an email at work with quotes from Ford, saying that anyone found to be using biodiesel in a company car will face disciplinary action, due to the warranty issue.

But given the pricedifference between bio and ordinary at the nearest Morrisons ( bio a lot dearer) ,think I'll stick to neat stuff (or at least till the prices even out ,or drop)

That's quite strange, as the Morrisons I visited on Saturday, on the outskirts of Glasgow, had Bio at 84.9. I would have tried some, but I wasn't in the Fabia at the time.

Steve

That's quite strange, as the Morrisons I visited on Saturday, on the outskirts of Glasgow, had Bio at 84.9. I would have tried some, but I wasn't in the Fabia at the time.

Steve

Found that round about the south side of Glasgow prices seem to be a bit lower .Trips north was using Sainsbury on the A82, till I found a station (Asda ,I think) near the shopping park at J10 .

One I spotted week or two back when diesel was just over £1 was about 4p dearer for Bio, and Pure diesel round these parts is still about 99.9

Well we've all had an email at work with quotes from Ford, saying that anyone found to be using biodiesel in a company car will face disciplinary action, due to the warranty issue.

In that case you will all be facing action. All diesel sold in the UK currently has around 5-10% bio in it, and across europe the figure is much higher.

Not surprised, they are covering their keisters and are quite right to do so, but as mentioned it's a bit contentious given the standard of pump fuel.

Edited by Decron

Handbook on my 04 1.4tdi (book dated 08.03) says -

Performance MAY be reduced.

Fuel consumption May increase slightly

if you switch to driving with biofuel.

Then goes on to say "Biodiesel conforming to E51 606 can be mixed in any desired ratio with diesel fuel conforming to E590.We recommend using diesel at temperatures below -10."

Then there's a caution only to use diesel at E590.

E51 606 i think is the german spec but it should all conform to EN590 really.

Bio producers cannot really match the volume price of the big companies so it's not really going to drop much.

Isn't it odd if you shave a few pence of a litre off people who originally wouldn't take the risk suddenly start considering it... If your going to take the risk (Of which IMHO there is very little) then what difference does the price make?

Steve

Is that price difference purely down to taxation differences? The production costs can't be represented in the price difference surely?

Is that price difference purely down to taxation differences? The production costs can't be represented in the price difference surely?

No idea; I was quite surprised by the difference in price too.

Steve