Who knows about airbags??

Okay, I need some advice.

My car was involved in a front end impact (before I bought it) resulting in both front airbags being deployed.

I've replaced both airbags, and the dashboard, but, before I connect them up and reconnect the battery,

DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING?

(ie do I need to reset the airbag control module, or replace it, and if I don't, will the airbags both go off again as soon as I reconnect the battery???

Please no "don't mess with airbags" answers:D

get your camcorder ready for when you re attach the battery in case something happens and you will get £250 from 'you've been framed'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

get your camcorder ready for when you re attach the battery in case something happens and you will get £250 from 'you've been framed'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, with a second hand dash costi ng me £300 plus another ££5 for my bargain find drivers airbag I'd still be out of pocket - and the airbags going off would probably smash my camcorder knowing my luck!!:mad:

Next question - where is the control module situated??

Not sure where it is, but the module is single use and basically will also need to be replaced.

Have you also checked that the seatbelt pretensioners have not been fired.

Risky stuff to DIY.

Suggest that you do a dry-run with a multimeter hooked up to the module.

That way you can see if there's a discharge when the battery is connected without setting off the airbags.

If all is well only then plug the airbags in...

Wear eye protection and be careful.

Good luck

Bas

Really need a new module. If it's anything like the fabia, it will be located in the centre column - behind the dash, quite low down. OK - had a look on ETKA, and oddly enough it seems to be in the roof lining, around the area the internal light is - I might be misconstruing the picture on ETKA but that's how it seems to me. :o

DO NOT connect a multimeter to the airbag!!!

Leave the battery off for a few mins and cycle the ignition to be sure that all power has dissipated.

The control module is normally replaced however if you look around you will find devices which can remove the stored crash data. I would think the control module is under the centre console.

Make sure that the key is not in the ignition when reconnecting the battery and also the nobody is in the car when you do so.

DO NOT connect a multimeter to the airbag!!!

For sure! To the module was what I suggested. Any current flow (even off a mulitmeter internal battery) could set off the airbag.

This is why this would be considered a truly hazardous activity to undertake if not factory-service trained.

For sure! To the module was what I suggested. Any current flow (even off a mulitmeter internal battery) could set off the airbag.

This is why this would be considered a truly hazardous activity to undertake if not factory-service trained.

I realised you meant the controller Bas but I just wanted to be sure so as to save any tears before bedtime ;)

I realised you meant the controller Bas but I just wanted to be sure so as to save any tears before bedtime ;)

I know mate - and thank you - I was kicking myself for not having emphasized what I meant clearly. :D

The controller will need to be replaced. A new one will need to be coded for the car. There are a few companies that claim to be able to reset crash data, but I don't know if the controller will still work in case of an accident.

Instead of just plugging in the new airbags, you can bridge the airbag wiring with a 2.5 ohm resistor to simulate an airbag.

The same goes for the seatbelt pre-tensioners.