Owners of new Fabia vRS's: Check your oil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warning Paul.... It's a little too dark to check the oil right now

The last car I had that used oil was quite a few years ago - A V6 Reliant Scimitar GTE. Maybe "used" oil is not absolutely correct. It burned oil when one cooked the engine.

• 2 weeks later...
"fabric-sheathed" - could someone elaborate - when I asked for top up oil for my vRS all I got was a white plastic bottle...

You can get a black nylon case with vecro back and bottom that is shaped to fit the 1L oil bottle. I got a VW one off ebay for a nugget and used a black marker to de-badge it :D

I've used half a litre in 1250 miles - is this excessive?

The alternative response to that above is that my car has needed no oil since delivery - it's now on 4250 miles. I believe there to be a tolerances issue here - some cars use more oil than others as a consequence...

I've used half a litre in 1250 miles - is this excessive?
The (Octavia) Owner's Manual says that, depending on the style of driving, oil consumption can be as much as 1 litre/1000km. That applies to the whole engine range fitted to the Octavia - from 1.4 petrol to 1.9PD. The Manual also says that it is normal for the oil consumption of a new engine to reach its lowest level after a certain mileage has been covered, and that it cannot be prperly assessed until the car has covered around 5000 km. Very low oil consumption comes with a sting in the tail: it is possible to be lulled into a false sense of security and not check the oil as often as recommended, ie each time you refuel.

I've just realised that I've topped up my oil with 5W-40 fully synthetic 505-00 instead of 505-01 - what should I do?

Nothing. It will be fine, just dont make a habit of it.

I could be wrong though!

I've just realised that I've topped up my oil with 5W-40 fully synthetic 505-00 instead of 505-01 - what should I do?
How much did you use?

Given that your car is so new, and needs an oil specifically for PD engines, if it were mine I think I would drain the oil and refill with 505 01. But that is probably being ultra cautious.

• Sponsor

I agree with Walkie,

Dont make a habit of it.

Cheers

Guy.

As the concensus seems to be that as long as I don't do it again that it will not do any lasting harm, I will leave it :ashamed:

I am rather annoyed about the whole incident as I printed off the oils listed elsewhere on this forum and showed it to an assistant in the local autoparts store and he assured me that the oil they had (Comma) was made by Esso and was the same as those on the list! I'll stick to those named in future.

Bought my Fabia Vrs on the 15 July 2004, currently on 34,000 miles (yes i do that many!) and i havent had a single problem with my car.

I have worked my engine hard from new (the dealer said not to be too careful with it as they said the best running cars they had sold, had been the hardest pushed from the beginning) So with my weekly mileage coming close to 1k per week, i had plenty of chances to get a problem.

Now i know some people have experienced "enhanced problems" with their oil levels but i was always told that with ANY new diesel engine the oil should be checked very often due to the nature of the engine, and yes contrary to public belief, pushing your TDi hard straight out of the box, somehow seems to make it run far better from the word GO!

I have had my Vrs a relatively short while and clocked up alot of miles, yet the engine hasnt given me a moment of worry, my advice is that if you are buying an new diesel, cane the thing straight from the box, and it will go better forever. (many many other people believe this)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...