AC - radiator fan replacement

Dave, I wonder if you could do a favour for UK Superb owners.

In the UK (only the UK as far as I can see) VAG stipulate that cambelts should be changed at 4 years or 100.000 km whichever occurs first. As most VAG cars are sold on the fleet market and are moved on after 3 years, the time limit does not affect them. Many private owners will find their cars have covered less than 100.000 km in 4 years and thus "need" a belt change.

My own view is that this is a scam and a nice little earner for the dealers. I have a good friend in Holland with a Passat (AWX diesel) and he confirms that there is no specified time restriction for a belt change there.

Could you possibly confirm what the "official" belt change recommendation is for the AWX engine as fitted to VAG vehicles in Norway.

If the results become "interesting", I'll start a new thread (I'll restrict it to the AWX diesel so as to avoid confusion).

Thanks, rotodiesel.

As far as i'm aware there is nothing in the rule book tht says you have to change a cambelt at four years. Its mearly a recomendation, all vehicles by that time will be out of warranty so even if it did break they wouldnt have to worry about it anyway. As with any advice you either take it or you dont. As I posted pics up the other day of a four year PD belt that was very cracked on the flat running surface, I wouldnt want that on my car.

I absolutely take your point, Lummox. What bugs me is the inconsistency of it all and the fact that the "4 year rule" appears on scrappy bits of paper from VAG UK, not printed info from VAG D.

Given a situation like this, the obvious thing to do is to gather information. The Internet is the ideal tool for this.

I'm afraid that in the light of my recent dealings with VAG UK I'm beginning to smell a rat - after all, it's a neat trick which won't affect fleet sales and preys on the fear factor inherent in the private owner.

Issuing recalls to owners of vehicles just after they come out of warranty when the "problem" is an old one is another example of a practice unlikely to minimise my transport costs.

Let's see what comes back.

rotodiesel.

Regarding cambelt changes - I had mine done not too long ago because I hit 60k (mine's a 2003/53).

I've heard the "four year" rule from many main dealers, I don't think it's restricted to VAG. I'm sitting on the fence here but I must admit, Lummox has a valid point on a cracked 4yo AWX belt.

Anyway, OT-away! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys.

Been on vacation, so sorry for my late post.

The radiator fan is up and running again. Bought some brushes, filed them down and on we go :-) Thank you all!

Also got a OBD-II cable from ebay and programmed the open window feature. Got a friend with a new octy, so just had too... :-)

Took a VAG-com reading with the cable, and have 3-4 flap engine faults (AC), and there seem to be no contact with controlbox J285. I'm hearing quirking sounds from AC, so the flap motors needs to be replaced I think. Any of you know if I need to deal with the J285 problem? Where it's located, and if this can be result of my water ingress problem. Thought I've fixed all the nodes now...

Anyway: I'm ordered some interior parts from Skoda dealer, and I'll ask them thoroughly 'bout cambelt replacement reganrding km or years. I've seen you have to at 100', and recommended minimum 4 years, but I know there's been some hassle 'bout this in Norway, forcing them to change this.

So, I'll post when I've talked to them. The interior parts uses long time in summer...

Any good advice regarding the flap motors by the way?