Noise on my Superb 2.5 TDI

Hi All

Coming home tonight from Brackley I noticed that on the Motorway at around 70mph when I took my foot off the throttle pedal I heard like a droning noise. If I accelerated away the noise went. I took my foot off the throttle and then put the auto in to nuetral and this made no difference - the noise was still there. At first I thought it was road surface noise but after all along M40,M25,M26,M20 i thought not.

I then noticed as I came off the Motorway that the noise was there all the time and if I put my foot gently on the brake pedal (say half an inch)the noise got louder. If I braked hard the noise went away. The car drives absolutely normal, performance ok no vibrations or anything - just this "vwom vwom vwom" type droning noise. The only other thing is that before I noticed this noise the hand brake lever had stuck on. I pulled the lever up and down a few times and then it released and I was then able to get under way.

Could this have anything to do with this noise???

Anyone any ideas please before I take it to dealers whilst still under warranty?

Edited by johannapam1

Think it might be a trip to Gillingham for you! Sorry don't know what the noise is.

Hope it's not to serious, have you looked to see if there is a stone stuck in your pads?

dont think its wheel bearings....as you would feel it through the steering wheel, and even make out what side it was coming from.....but then again your car being different from mine i wouldnt write the possiblity of bearing failure off.....how many miles has your car done? it could be cv joints...or brake pads...either way have a nose around before you take it too the dealers.......let us know what the problem is

The car has done 25000 miles and 3 yrs old in November. The rear pads and disks were replaced by dealer in March. Imust admit the noise is like wheel bearing type rumble from earlier cars I have had with that problem but then there is this hand brake sticking on and the noise after. It certainly seems that the two are connected. I was just thankful I got home ok. Will have a look around today if Im cansee anything simple - but if not then 7am tomorrow morning i will be at Sherlodge Mike!!

John

Well - been out to look and can't see anything untoward?

car not well though as the noise can now be heard at 15mph and still gets worse when I rest my foot on brake pedal (half inch or so) and seems to go if I brake to stop. I will be at Sherlodge tomorrow morning first thing as i don't feel I can drive it any distance without risk?

Thanks for your replies - will update thread as soon as i know what the problem is.

John

John, From your description, it does sound like a wheel bearing. If you've had trouble with the hand brake sticking on, the grease may have melted out of a rear wheel bearing. Did the handbrake stick before they changed the pads and disks (disks at 25k miles?!) as there is a design fault with the rear calipers.

If the piston is not fully retracted and the inner pad fitted carefully it's possible to trap the dust boot. This results in the brake not releasing properly. It's also possible to fit the pads so that an anti-rattle spring pokes through the window in the caliper rather than preloading the pad as it should.

The other favourite malpractice is hitting the disks with a hammer to get them off the hubs when they have rusted on. This Brinnels the bearings and failure will occur shortly afterwards.

Not that a VAG dealer would ever do such things...

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

having read this thread and suggested a comment, i decided to take all the wheels off and clean them front and back, the inside of the wheels being black with dust and tar deposits, and i noticed my rear pads are looking decidedly thin

the car has done approximately 16700 now, and im thinking about getting the rear pads renewed. made enquiries on price for supply and fit, and best one i could find was 68quid using genuine skoda pads inc labour and vat....didnt bother getting a price from the dealer, as his mechanics look too young...and knowing what youngsters are like when they get fustrated...i can just imagine a spanner being wacked somewhere on the car...so im taking to this garage who services firms trucks....least he has a superb

GSF sell the Textar pads which have precisely the same numbers stamped on the backplates as the OE VAG pads.

I renewed mine whilst the car was in warranty for about £18 (saving the old ones to put back in if I had a "serious" claim) and it takes about 20 mins per side if you work carefully. Dead easy using the correct piston winding tool.

rotodiesel.

Thanks Roto but where car mechanics is concerned I am useless - I even struggle to check wheel nuts are tight. That was the problem with my noise. The front NS wheel was loose!!

They have removed all wheel bolts from all wheels and used some copper something or other to lubricate them and then replaced. Car is as good as new now. I do feel sucha fool - I would use stronger language but I may get thrown off the site.

Anyway not too bad and I did want the bolts lubricated as they were very rusted in.

Thanks to all for your comments and recommendations.

Regards

John