Scout Pyrenees trip

Well I'm just back from the south of France and some off road driving in the Pyrenees with my new 08 Scout. On my last visits I had Kia Sorento 4x4's so I was interested to do a comparison and overall the Scout in my opnion came out on top.

Off road I took the Scout on the same tracks as I did the Kia and went even more adventurous on the torraine I tackled, I was surprised as I felt safer and less inclined to encounter a rollover, hardly ever noticing the 4x4 system coming into play as I tackled some tracks partly blocked by landslides and little used. I would have thought twice with the Kia for some reason, maybe the 17" wheels gave that extra confidence???

Towing was no problem and cruised along quite happily with a return of 35mpg, Solo was around 44mpg, both with aircon on in 35c heat.

I found the Scout to be a pleasant combination of estate car come 4x4 so you have the best of both worlds. I'm not saying the Scout can tackle off road conditions of the bigger 4x4's but as a combination vehicle it is very good and worth every penny spent.

Well I'm just back from the south of France and some off road driving in the Pyrenees with my new 08 Scout. On my last visits I had Kia Sorento 4x4's so I was interested to do a comparison and overall the Scout in my opnion came out on top.

Off road I took the Scout on the same tracks as I did the Kia and went even more adventurous on the torraine I tackled, I was surprised as I felt safer and less inclined to encounter a rollover, hardly ever noticing the 4x4 system coming into play as I tackled some tracks partly blocked by landslides and little used. I would have thought twice with the Kia for some reason, maybe the 17" wheels gave that extra confidence???

Towing was no problem and cruised along quite happily with a return of 35mpg, Solo was around 44mpg, both with aircon on in 35c heat.

I found the Scout to be a pleasant combination of estate car come 4x4 so you have the best of both worlds. I'm not saying the Scout can tackle off road conditions of the bigger 4x4's but as a combination vehicle it is very good and worth every penny spent.

Makes for good reading. Been extremely impressed with the "off-road but on track" ability of the Scout so far, still brings big smiles on my face!

Hello Marcus100, :thumbup:

Yes my baby is a Vanroyce 450EK and in cars has cost me a lot over the last few years, if you know of them you will know they are heavy and sound. I've had 8 Skoda's now (currently Scout & Fabia VRS) and bought the Vanroyce as I got my first new Octavia 90bph (W) was great tower, then I decided to upgrade to a new (53)110bhp, nightmare to tow with, nearly lost rig twice in one day!! after 9 months traded for a Kia Sorento and 11 months after that upgraded to a higher spec Sorento, brilliant tug but fed up with Kia service so back to a Skoda, will I part with the Vanroyce? I think not!!

Scouter2, A good track is something created with a bulldozer then left to rut and get partly washed away and the odd landslide to negotiate, one of which was where I grounded the rear. I'm ex-forces so I know what it is like to drive off road either wheeled or track laying. so yes I do like to have a bit of off road fun but then being 7500ft up the side of a mountain on a track that is little more than a path is not where you wish to get stuck, I do like to take the vehicle to a limit but a sensible limit. :D

Where are all the Scouts?? so far in my neck of the woods I have not seen another one so feel somewhat unique round here. :cool:

Edited by Vanroyce

Where are all the Scouts?? so far in my neck of the woods I have not seen another one so feel somewhat unique round here. :cool:

East Anglia is probably a bit flat for the locals to buy Scouts :rofl:

I have had my scout for nearly a year befor that always haveing Land Rovers but the tax was cheaper on the scout!! i have had my scout in some preatty funny places (mud halfway up the wheels geeting out of a fields ) and up to now touch wood not got stuck just yet!!! i love it and feel it would do a lot more if i had more off road tyres but the 4x4 and traction control seem to work together all ok so no surprise it work ok for you