New Road Tax Rates Next year? how do i find emission info

I alwas thought the government wanted to discourage the use of older cars - more pollution - and get us into newer ones. However I have just upgraded and it will cost me more in tax! I might as well go back to an older car!

Taxing older cars heavily based on emissions is mental in my opinion. If higher taxes make older cars less popular then this would suggest that cars will be scrapped earlier than they would have been otherwise. I dread to think how much carbon is produced by scrapping and recycling one car, building another (albeit a more efficient one) and then shipping it potentially half way across the world to a customer. In my opinion the system should operate to discourage the purchase of new less efficient cars. This is surely the most plausible way to make a real reduction in carbon dioxiode emissions as well as reducing the carbon emissions associated with car production and recycling. (The cynic may point out that as most cars are made off shore - why should Gordo give a toss about CO2 savings abroad?)

Rich

Reckon the whole thing will be reviewed and hopefully scrapped come November.

If not,labour are going down the pan (not that they aren't of course

'Holier than thou' tax anyway

Don't worry , I'm sure the conservatives will be quick to increase it once they get in.

They have already said that they won't reduce taxes.

so it wont be £300 for me to tax my 1.6 next year (phew)

I was considering getting a little 1.0 litre car for a moment :D

Hi Justinbarrow,

My car is the same model as your here, and so if I am using correct info. for VED on Government site, then I think it will be costing £145 next year and not as £185 that is now.

Have you tried this one, and are you getting the same result here?

Soviet:) So sorry for the poor VRS men here, of course.

vcalogo2.jpghead-image.jpgshadow-top-right.gifHome PageUseful InformationDatabaseVED CalculatorDownloadsFAQsContacts shadow-bottom.gifVED Information

<< Search Again

Vehicle Details (From 1st March 2001 the annual VED rates for cars is determined by their CO2 emissions and type of fuel used)Vehicle Excise Duty for 12 months for:

SKODA Octavia Hatchback 1.6 FSI 115bhp

is £145.00VED Band:D Engine Capacity:1598 Transmission:M5 Fuel Type:Petrol CO2:158 g/kmEuro Standard: IV

Apply For Your Tax Disc Online

direct-gov-logo-new.gif

Visit the DVLA web site

DVLA Terms & Conditions

Please address any enquiries to: [email protected]

top.gif

145.gif

bottom.gif

For 12 months The purpose of this guide on CO2 and VED information is indicative only, CO2 values may vary between variants / versions of a particular model shown.

Crown Copyright 1997 - 2008 | Disclaimervalid-html40.bmp vcss.bmp wcag1A.bmp

I have just upgraded and it will cost me more in tax! I might as well go back to an older car!

And thats what most people will do, also there are some people who pay £60,000 for a range rover and have got a large portion of it on finance, getting into debt etc.

Hi Justinbarrow,

My car is the same model as your here, and so if I am using correct info. for VED on Government site, then I think it will be costing £145 next year and not as £185 that is now.

Have you tried this one, and are you getting the same result here?

vcalogo2.jpghead-image.jpgshadow-top-right.gifHome PageUseful InformationDatabaseVED CalculatorDownloadsFAQsContacts shadow-bottom.gifVED Information

<< Search Again

Vehicle Details (From 1st March 2001 the annual VED rates for cars is determined by their CO2 emissions and type of fuel used)Vehicle Excise Duty for 12 months for:

SKODA Octavia Hatchback 1.6 FSI 115bhp

is £145.00VED Band:D Engine Capacity:1598 Transmission:M5 Fuel Type:Petrol CO2:158 g/kmEuro Standard: IV

Apply For Your Tax Disc Online

direct-gov-logo-new.gif

Visit the DVLA web site

DVLA Terms & Conditions

Please address any enquiries to: [email protected]

top.gif

145.gif

bottom.gif

Thanks for this info but i think this applies if your car was registered after 1st march 2001 and mine is a 1998.

• 2 weeks later...

Lads, ye think yer bad. Here in Ireland, car taxes have always been based on CC my 2000 1.6 GLXi costs me €428 per year. A 2 litre would cost €590 p.a. rising to €1491 per annum for anything over 3001cc. We also paid a Vehicle Registration Tax which was also based on CC, in three bands from 22% to 30%.

From July this year, any car newly registered goes onto a CO2-based system, meaning a car of less than 120g/km gets taxed at €100p.a. This rises in 7 bands up to 226g/km and over, which costs a massive €2000p.a. VRT will also be based on CO2, rising from 14% for the lowest band to 36% for the highest band.

This has made diesel cars much cheaper to buy and tax than petrol. In fact, if our two cars (Octy and Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol) were bought now, both would be costed at €600 per annum road tax.

Four polar bears die every time I start the getaway wagon. Do I care ?

Not really, You can have SOOOOOOO much more fun with a :DvRS:D than you can with a polar bear.

However, to be serious, a 2000 Range Rover 4. whatever at 16 mpg is going to be cheaper to tax than a vRS, makes sense in our modern twisted world.

And remember, the CO2 values used for taxation are taken at 30 mph, if you travel at 60 mph the emissions per kilometer driven are about 60% of those at 30. (sorry about mixing units there).

So, as I have said before, build dual carrigeways and save the planet.

Four polar bears die every time I start the getaway wagon. Do I care ?

Not really, You can have SOOOOOOO much more fun with a :DvRS:D than you can with a polar bear.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So, as I have said before, build dual carrigeways and save the planet.

:iagree: and maintain the road surfaces with the vast sums of cash that are extorted from us as poor road surfaces must surely add to a car's C02 output :finger: