New Road Tax Rates Next year? how do i find emission info

I have heard that next year cars are going to me taxed based on their CO2 Emissions and someone said that my 1.6 Octy will be around £300 to tax from next april when the new rates come in... Is this right?

How do i find out what emmisions my Octy is putting out (sorry if this sounds stupid) Just dont know how to find this info out.

Anyone else heard this about the new road tax rules :( Just looking for some future insight of what my 1.6 is likley to be as if its £300 a year thats ridiculous.

Next we will be driving the new 1.0 Octavia (thats if the goverment get its way) :thumbup:

If it's a 1998 car, the CO2 banding doesn't apply, but it's obviously an evil planet killer anyway because the engine is over 1400cc! :mad:

Edited by KenONeill
Changed smilie.

From April 2009 it seems to be £185 p.a and £200 from April 2010. :)

Which trim level is it, just to be sure. :) The above is based on a 1.6 LXi 5 door.

where did you get that information from may i ask? i want to know what the current £210 banding will go upto

Heres the governments web site to calculate your emissions:

VCAcarfueldata.org.uk - Home Page

Heres the DVLA web site for current rates:

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

Heres a link to prices for 2009:

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | 629 | 629 | New car tax rates

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

thanks for that :D

looks like we may all be buying older cars to beat the system, well until they work out what we are all doing that is!!

Cheers for that fella...... Ours will both be £120 next year then £125 in 2010.....

Checked out our last cars too.....

My Polo GTi would have been costing me £175 a year..... The mrs' Type-R would have been costing her £300 and the Lexus she had before that would be £415!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Glad we got shut when we did.

Cheers

Dave.

Little tip,if your tax is due in Sept or before get 6months then buy a year and you will miss out the stealth tax/new charges
Good tip but possible to take a step further.

Even if your tax is due after September then it could make sense to SORN the car before then, allowing you to cash in the remaining complete months, then immediately re-tax thus getting 12 months at the old rate.

You need to do the sums for your own car and time it right and whatever you do, don't get caught driving when you're supposed to be on SORN !

Similarly for insurance, always take it out in the very last day of the month. Direct telephone sales people have quotas to fill and will do deals if you push.

PS: I live in France where there is no road tax :D

So for all you Mk1 VRS owners (including me). Based on 188 g/km

Current 12 Months Tax is £210 (Group F) - £195 if converted to LPG

2009 12 months tax is £260 (Group J) - £15 Discount if LPG = £245

2010 12 Months Tax is £270 (Group J) - £10 Discount if LPG = £260

Found another site (the AA) which has a clearer chart: Car Buyers Guide - Advice : car tax bands - road tax bands based on CO2 emissions - The AA

thanks for that :D

looks like we may all be buying older cars to beat the system, well until they work out what we are all doing that is!!

There's been an increased demand for big cars from just before 2001 compared to them just after.

Not a huge amount that can be done about that really unless they introduce a third band for pre-2001 vehicles.

0-1399 / 1400-2499 / 2500+ for example

So you can buy as big an engined car as you can afford and only pay a maximum limit (currently £185 for 12 months) road tax as long as its registered before 1st March 2001.

Dont you just love the government and their logic :rofl:

So you can buy as big an engined car as you can afford and only pay a maximum limit (currently £185 for 12 months) road tax as long as its registered before 1st March 2001.

Dont you just love the government and their logic :rofl:

Yep , spot on.

I don't think it's all that daft on the government's part though.

They do need to encourage people to use more efficient cars so basing it on CO2 is sensible enough , but where there is no data available for older vehicles the best they can do is a split based on engine size.

It's clearly not practical to require every single older car on the road to come in and be tested , and with time it will become less of an issue as older cars get scrapped.

The only alternative would have been to carry on as before and not make any changes to the flat rate system which was never going to happen.

Yep , spot on.

They do need to encourage people to use more efficient cars so basing it on CO2 is sensible enough , but where there is no data available for older vehicles the best they can do is a split based on engine size.

Really; why is it any sort of sensible that an Octy SLX TDi pays 150% or so of the road tax that an Elegance TDi with the same engine does?

Really; why is it any sort of sensible that an Octy SLX TDi pays 150% or so of the road tax that an Elegance TDi with the same engine does?

I'm sure if you looked you can find examples that work both ways round , but the basic principle of setting rates based on emissions is sound enough.

Someone in our street has just changed to a smaller car just so they get their road tax a bit cheaper.

Only bought a 1.1 kia picanto on finance, where the intrest he is paying on his loan will be costing more in the year than if he just kept his bigger car and paid an extra £100 or so on his road tax.

What a way to think....He would rather pay £600 a year in intrest charges and have a smaller car just to save a few quid on road tax.

If it was me, I would rather keep the bigger car pay an extra 100 quid or so in tax and save money on the option of playing into gordan browns hands and buying a small car with a small engine on tick with intrest charges that will out way the upcoming increase in tax.

Reckon the whole thing will be reviewed and hopefully scrapped come November.

If not,labour are going down the pan (not that they aren't of course

'Holier than thou' tax anyway

It's not the only alternative, and I belive the government is daft. All green taxes collected, inc the ones introduced for generating money for renewable energy, Gordon changed them and diverted ALL the money to central coffers - a HUGE portion of which goes to fund Euro.

Back on topic, we DO pay a propotional system already! Any car that emits a lot of CO2/pollutants, uses a lot of fuel. That's why mpg vs co2 is magically related.

Guess what - most of our fuel is TAX. So we ALREADY pay proportional tax, to the emissions we produce. My mum's 4x4 pays 3x the fuel tax (3x more fuel it uses) and emits roughly 3 times the CO2 of a tdi octy.

The couple of hundred quid on road tax, well no one is going to scrap a VRS or a Range Rover worth six grand, but peter might not be able to run it now so paul will buy it cheap and run it. End result of the new system, same amount of vehicles on the road currently, but more revenue collected. Used PRICES of big cars down, but same amount of used big cars around.

As for new cars, well £400 a year when you just paid £60k for a RR isn't even going to make it into your thought process. £400 a year on a quite efficient Zafira with the wrong engine may force them to cramp up a family into a older, more polluting, smaller car.

Bottom line - it's not a fair system. Sticking another 2p on the fuel would generate WAY more money, but be fair. After all, I can do 30k a year in a super efficient band A polo bluemotion - but 30k is a lot of emissions. Or, I can do 2k a year in my V12 jag just at classic car shows, produce a fraction of the pollution but be charged £400 a year. Tax on the fuel is the only fair way and as we already pay it - a huge percentage - this is just one of the many '2nd' taxes with a green unbrella and rather discriminatory.

IMHO, Greg.

Yep , spot on.

It's clearly not practical to require every single older car on the road to come in and be tested , and with time it will become less of an issue as older cars get scrapped.

The only alternative would have been to carry on as before and not make any changes to the flat rate system which was never going to happen.

It's not the only alternative, and I belive the government is daft. All green taxes collected, inc the ones introduced for generating money for renewable energy, Gordon changed them and diverted ALL the money to central coffers - a HUGE portion of which goes to fund Euro.

Back on topic, we DO pay a propotional system already! Any car that emits a lot of CO2/pollutants, uses a lot of fuel. That's why mpg vs co2 is magically related.

Guess what - most of our fuel is TAX. So we ALREADY pay proportional tax, to the emissions we produce. My mum's 4x4 pays 3x the fuel tax (3x more fuel it uses) and emits roughly 3 times the CO2 of a tdi octy.

The couple of hundred quid on road tax, well no one is going to scrap a VRS or a Range Rover worth six grand, but peter might not be able to run it now so paul will buy it cheap and run it. End result of the new system, same amount of vehicles on the road currently, but more revenue collected. Used PRICES of big cars down, but same amount of used big cars around.

As for new cars, well £400 a year when you just paid £60k for a RR isn't even going to make it into your thought process. £400 a year on a quite efficient Zafira with the wrong engine may force them to cramp up a family into a older, more polluting, smaller car.

Bottom line - it's not a fair system. Sticking another 2p on the fuel would generate WAY more money, but be fair. After all, I can do 30k a year in a super efficient band A polo bluemotion - but 30k is a lot of emissions. Or, I can do 2k a year in my V12 jag just at classic car shows, produce a fraction of the pollution but be charged £400 a year. Tax on the fuel is the only fair way and as we already pay it - a huge percentage - this is just one of the many '2nd' taxes with a green unbrella and rather discriminatory.

IMHO, Greg.

:thumbup: