Tour de France

Silber_Igel

The XYL and I have been watching the Tour on the satellite system. As aways its great competition and we enjoy it a lot.

I noticed that Skoda is co-sponsoring a team, has adverts along the course and some of the team cars appear to be Skodas. That's kind of neat in a way.

Oh, yes! Too much Lance! At least on the OLN channel. Its Lance this and Lance that.... no doubt he's really good at his sport but there's whole bunch of other good/great? riders there as well. I suppose that is all for the American audience.

Actually, £1797 isn't that much for a quality engineered bicycle. My mountain bike cost £2500 4 years ago and I'd happily buy another at more than that tomorrow if I had the readies (I don't :( ). The problem is that these car manufacturer bicycle specials are never as good as a proper bike from a traditional manufacturer. Though BMW did bring out a rather nice MTB effort a while back.

Dave.

Been watching on ITV2 since the start. Only spotted the comissaires Superbs so far, except last night what looked to be a couple of old shape Octy press cars.

And yes hopefully Armstrong won't win. 5 is enough, give someone else a go :D

Hopefull he will win again and pass all the drug tests and shut up the whinging French female genitalia once and for all.

:nod: Much as I would like someone else to challenge him properly, nobody has stepped up to the mark this year and unless he has a disaster in the mountains I can't see anyone touching him. He's not my cup of tea as a personality but he's the best rider there is. Completely agree about the French whingers - they really dont like it if their riders don't win (even worse when its an American winning). :rolleyes:

:nod: Much as I would like someone else to challenge him properly, nobody has stepped up to the mark this year and unless he has a disaster in the mountains I can't see anyone touching him. He's not my cup of tea as a personality but he's the best rider there is. Completely agree about the French whingers - they really dont like it if their riders don't win (even worse when its an American winning). :rolleyes:

Very valid point Andy.

It's not about Armstrong losing but about the others beating him. US postal is a bit like Ferrari when it comes to the Tour - they outclass and out think all the other teams but I think Riis will get there with his gang soon and US Postal will cease to be at the end of the season so I reckon win number 6 will be his swansong. Better to go out on top than be made to suffer like Big Mig did.

The only thing I have against Armstrong is he rides two races a year, the Dauphine and the Tour. Thus I can't see him as one of the greats of the sport, not in the same league as the other 5 time winners. At least Big Mig rode the Giro, taking the double twice and other races such as Paris-Nice, Tour of Switzerland and the Worlds.

I still have some faith in Ullrich but I fear Armstrong just walking over the lot of then in the first serious mountains.

I used to be take or leave Armstrong, but now I really hope he does it and makes it no 6. If you have any doubts about the man read his autobiography "Its not about the bike".

Any one who can have testicular cancer and have a 20% chance of living and still beat it and go on to ride as he does gets my vote..its really makes your realise where your at.

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the links. Well, yes it would be nice if Lance won a 6th. However, I'd like to see Ullrich take a win. The Tour is getting too much like F-1 with too much Shumacher (a great driver!!) and too many red cars at the front. Like Ferrari and Schumacher, Lance and USP are good, well trained and well funded. He will probably win a 6th. Nice to see Viranque win on Bastile Day!