European pricing for the new Superb

Just been lamenting the state of the Skoda UK website, and looking at the really nice sites that the Germans and French have.

Whilst doing so, I noticed how good a deal we are getting on the new Superb.

Nowhere else in Europe does the Elegance come with the Columbus unit as standard, nor do they get 18" wheels or memory seats.

I specced up a German Elegance to be comparable to the car I've ordered, and the price difference is incredible. Options on the UK car were Park assist, sound system, hill hold, sunset glass, rear side sunblinds, metallic paint and rear heated seats.

UK price: £23,940

German price (at current exchange rate): £30,007

Price in Euros was: 38070

That's £6067 difference. The story is much the same in both France and Belgium. It's not even the case that the Superb is still cheaper than an equivalent Passat. The Passat Highline 170 TDI costs £25,695 in Germany.

I'm just wondering if this is down to the fact that folks in mainland Europe are no longer worried about the stigma of owning a Skoda? They are actually prepared to pay premium money for a premium Skoda.

There's still a way to go in the UK, as I still get snorts of derision from lots of people when I tell them what I drive.

Bagpuss.

Yeah me too, I was trying to tell a mate who is insisting on getting a 5.5 to get a Superb instead, i told him all the extra stuff you get in one and the better colour coding on the outside, wouldn't have it, so I hit him with the badge stigma, which he denied, in the end I just said fine go pay another 2k for an stripped out VW version.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this Superb on display in a shopping mall in Klaipeda, Lithuania. It was a 2.0 TDi 140 and the model is a Superb Ambition, so I assume their model range is different to ours. It was priced at 89,600 Litas, which is about £21,350. There were about 10 extras listed, which included metallic paint, sunset privacy glass and park assist, but I'm not sure if the price included the options or not. It didn't have leather or navigation though.

24195.attach

Its only the UK that ever had a problem with Skoda unfortunately because of the totally unfunny 80's jokes.The image has improved a hell of a lot and is improving all the time, but there are still a minority of people who would rather drive an inferior make - thats their loss though.

Its only the UK that ever had a problem with Skoda unfortunately because of the totally unfunny 80's jokes.The image has improved a hell of a lot and is improving all the time, but there are still a minority of people who would rather drive an inferior make - thats their loss though.

It's laughable really isn't it, take one brand and merge it with a premium brand i.e VAG, use the premium brand parts and effectively badge the premium brand as something else and charge 10% less for it, I had some ignorant chick in the car the other night, she was telling her mate what to look out for on the phone, when I told her what the car was she sounded like she'd ate raw seaweed by mistake, I just replied...you obviously don't know anything about cars do you luv?

And a former Octy owner mate of mine has replaced it with a 407, it took him all of 2 hours to realise he'd dropped a **** doing it.

It's laughable really isn't it, take one brand and merge it with a premium brand i.e VAG, use the premium brand parts and effectively badge the premium brand as something else and charge 10% less for it, I had some ignorant chick in the car the other night, she was telling her mate what to look out for on the phone, when I told her what the car was she sounded like she'd ate raw seaweed by mistake, I just replied...you obviously don't know anything about cars do you luv?quote]

Had that happen to me a couple of times - passengers would say how nice the car was inside etc and how comfortable it is etc, quiet etc, singing its praises all the way and what is it so they can look at one with a view to purchasing.When I reply, its a Skoda, they said Oh no, wouldn't have one of those!:confused: Totally gobsmacked at that sort of negativity!

Mind you, it was about 4 years ago now, and the image has improved still further since then.:)

I get really smug hearing people taking the proverbial Michael with me driving a Skoda as I know they have no idea what they are talking about. I know I am getting a Premium product for a reasonble price. Not cheap but good honest value for money. I do not worry or get involved with badge snobbery and one upmanship :rofl: The ironic thing is that two of my friends have bought BMW 5 series in the past year and they both had to come back on the back of a truck for repair :eek: Just thought I would add my comments to the post:)

Edited by Drummond28

Ahum, now that everyone has read what a good deal we are getting in the UK..... Hellllo ??????????????????? Dont be surprised if the next quotes are higher. Sigh.... :eek: