engine management warning / oil thirst

Ok, so loving the '01 fabia 1.4 (100 bhp) so far... bought in May, apparently looked after for its 46,000m before that, and serviced with fluids topped up as I bought it, now running nicely. Run about 2000 miles since, mostly motorways and good A roads, so fast driving but smooth and rarely with any real load. So... how come there was barely a trace of oil on the dipstick a few days ago and it took 2 litres (Magnatec) to bring back up into the right range? Scanning previous threads suggests that might not be impossible, but would be surprising. No obvious oil leaks (checked under car and quick visual check of engine though not a thorough examination), and no obvious worrying smell or residue suggesting burning off. Is this just me not having adjusted up to the slightly punchier engine to the smaller cars I drove before?

Other than that, the amber engine management indicator light has stayed on for a little over a week now... I'll take it into a skoda-approved garage when I can, but any punts for now on the reason? No change in handling, revs, ignition or - as far as I can tell - exhaust since before the light came on. Again, scanned previous threats so I know that even if not very serious, it needs to be diagnosed and dealt with... BUT have discovered (via a friendly passing AA fella) that the diagnostic socket is faulty or deliberately disabled... what's that all about I wonder? (And how can it be diagnosed now?)

Any thoughts? Will update in a few days after the planned garage visit...

Cheers

Chris

I suggest you search the threads for 1.4, 16v, piston rings.

thanks for the pointer. looks like you (and all those previous threads) are right. EGR fault identified at local garage (neil at preston motors, forest gate, seemed all right to me), oil getting through & piston rings the culprit. so oil thirst and engine light were connected. planning to live with it for the time being (refilling oil at 1l per 1000-1500m and engine light coming back on) unless performance starts changing drastically, as quote is the best part of 1k as previous posters report.

diagnostic socket fine as it turns out, AA van must have had faulty computer or not compatible with the model.

Sorry to hear that this is the fault and yes rather expensive to fix. As you've only had the car for a few months, you could easily argue that the fault was present on the car at the point of sale - I'd try and get the repair paid for by the previous owner? If you get any trouble, get trading standards involved. I'd also approach Skoda UK/VW as this is essentially a design flaw with the engine so again they ought to contribute a bit. I wouldn't leave it long term like that because one would assume that it'd dirty you cat/lambda sensors over time adding further costs. On this forum there has also been reports of a catastrophic failure of the rings leading to a seized engine.

I have the same car and had the same problem for a long time. A high consumption of oil and had no visible leak on the parking floor. After consulting several time the Skoda oficial dealer, I went to a normal mechanic and he found a problem at the butterfly and oil breather. The replacement of this two parts resolved some of the problem (oil consumption became low, but still existing). At the 120000 km service the the mechanic advised me to use some 10W engine oil instead of the 5W recomended by Skoda (now oil must be replaced every 10000 km instead of 15000 km). The problem is now solved!

Ok, thanks for your thoughts - and the advice that I may have to argue liability (hoping to avoid as it was a small independent dealer, but I take your point about not letting problem develop). Will bear that in mind katia and might try an independent for a second opinion; and while Skoda garage said oil made no difference to this problem (bit surprised by that), I'm sticking with multigrade 10W-40.

Off right now for two-week break in the south-west, so hope not too many problems on the road...