Tyre Size issue

bubba

I currently have 205/50/17 all round on my MkI VRS. The fronts are quite worn and have no grip in the wet, so today I rang my local tyre place for some quotes on these two tyres, which seem to be popular on here with people

Kuhmos KU31

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

The dealer has checked his system and can't find any of those listed in the size that I need. He's going to ring around his suppliers and see if they are available.

Any suggestions on what to do? What other size can I run on the front without having to change the rears at the same time?

Ta

Erm... the Mk1 vRS has 225/45-R17 as standard

Erm... Sorry, but the Mk1 Octy vRS had 205/50/17's fitted as standard, most of us now fit 225/45/17's as they are cheaper to buy and have the same circumference, so cause no problems when fitted.

He came back to me fairly quickly. According to his supplier, Goodyear don't list a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric in that size, but he can get me the Khumos which is cheaper.

He did offer me a Goodyear nct5 but it was £112 fitted!

He came back to me fairly quickly. According to his supplier, Goodyear don't list a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric in that size, but he can get me the Khumos which is cheaper.

He did offer me a Goodyear nct5 but it was £112 fitted!

I got Khumos in 225/45/17 for £72 fitted :thumbup:

Standard tyre size for a Mk1 vRS with 17" wheels is 205/50 R 17 89 W.

Standard tyre size for a Mk1 vRS with 16" wheels is 205/55 R 16 91 W.

Just ask Skoda or any tyre manufacturer.

I agree.. but all my tyres are 93w extra load, i take it you can run 89's then on a standard load tyre?

Im getting some new tyres soon, and find there is alot more choice in 225/45 size!

Sticking with 205's for now im down to goodyear eagle's GS-D3, (you must be able to get these in 205's?) Michelin pilot exalto2 or Vredestein Ultrac! Tempted to go for the Vredestein!

Gets stranger and stranger. Just got a call from the tyre guy and the Khumo tyres have arrived, yet they are KH31 and KU31 (according to Khumo they don't do a KU31 in that size).

Does anyone know anything about the KH31?

A lot of people seem to be switching to 225/45/17 tyres. I'd be quite keen to do this looking at poor tyre availability in the standard size. Is this definately ok though? A quick check on a tyre size calculator/wheel size calculator site seems to indicate that 205/50/17's go on 7in x 17in wheels and 225/45/17's go on 7.5in x 17in wheels. Rolling radius seems ok but wouldn't the width be an issue? I'm guessing octy vRS wheels are 7in wide?

(205/50/17's fit on 5.5x17 up to 7.0x17. 225/45/17's fit on 7.5 x 17 up to 9.0 x 17)

A lot of people seem to be switching to 225/45/17 tyres. I'd be quite keen to do this looking at poor tyre availability in the standard size. Is this definately ok though? A quick check on a tyre size calculator/wheel size calculator site seems to indicate that 205/50/17's go on 7in x 17in wheels and 225/45/17's go on 7.5in x 17in wheels. Rolling radius seems ok but wouldn't the width be an issue? I'm guessing octy vRS wheels are 7in wide?

(205/50/17's fit on 5.5x17 up to 7.0x17. 225/45/17's fit on 7.5 x 17 up to 9.0 x 17)

It's fine mate....Honest