ABS cutting in when not braking

Kalvin

Has anyone had problem like this?

My ABS pump seems to come on by itself when driving along (i.e. not under braking). I can hear the pump going and if I brake during when it is running then I can feel the normal ABS pulses through the brake pedal. The pump remains running for may be 5 to 15 seconds and then cuts out and the ABS warning light is then illuminated for the rest of the trip and I get not further instances of the pump cutting in. When the car is started again most times all seems well (i.e. ABS light is now off) but after several mile the same thing will happen and the pump come on by itself, some times though the ABS light will be on from the start of the trip.

Any ideas anyone?

V reg Octavia 1.8 20v SLX estate

Most likely one of the ABS sensors either needs replacing or has a loose connection. You really need to get the fault codes read though to confirm. The ABS module seems to think that one of the wheels has stopped revolving, when the others are still going round hence the action being triggered.

First of all I would make sure all the ABS sensors are clean from debris.

I had this issue a few months ago.

I eventually took it to a dealer with VAG COM and they indicated a fault with the front drivers ABS sensor. Instead of replacing the sensor the mechanic cable tied the sensor cable up and said he had sorted the problem.

However this was not the case, so I just bought a ABS sensor and fitted it myself and problem sorted.

Cant remember exactly how much it was approx £20, but you need VAGCOM to tell you which sensor is playing up

Thanks for your comments, I gues I could give all four of the sensors a clean to see if it has an effect before getting the fault codes read. If I then still have problems then I guess connecting up a VAGCOM will be the only answer, would a Skoda dealer charge much for reading the fault codes? I'm quite capable of changing the sensors if any are faulty, but since they've been in place for 130,000 miles and seven years will they be easy to remove?

My Octy 4x4 Mk1 occasionally fluttered the ABS if you barreled into a sweeping corner at high speed & lifted off the loud pedal, Kind of "oh **it" moment the first time it happened. Twas a wheel sensor

Yours sounds a bit more complex though