Leaking doors on Fabia

MartynVRS

Hello I am having this trouble with leaking doors at this time, like the idea of them the temp fix black insulating tape, I have now work out how to remove everything holding card in place, but am dreading pulling the door card off any tips on it, looks like I should buy some plastic clips before staring, do they snap break off easy thanks Max.

Its worth buying some clips from a Skoda dealer before you start but no the end of the world if you don't.

Part number is 'Clip' 6Y0867260 and they are only £0.22p each plus VAT, if your dealer is any distance away get them sent by post to save you the drive time and fuel cost. Even if you can't get them before hand the trim will still go back on as it hangs over the top edge of the door and with the window winder and the 3 screws holding it in place will still function fine, the edges will be loose that's all. You could then go get the clips/fasteners then undo the screws again, lift the trim off and fit the new clips. Its the clip/fasteners that lock the whole thing in place.

There are 7 or 8 holding the trim in place and 4 of mine shattered but 3 or 4 were OK. Once you have all the screws out and the handle off its just a case of someone holding the door and you giving the door card a good strong yank! Getting behind the edge of the trim without scratching the paint was a bit tricky so I used my good lay's thick but taper edged teflon spatula from the kitchen - the one you use for turning fried eggs/susages etc.

If you agree to do the washing up it buys a few favours!

You may need to lever the top edge of the door card off its location edge by the window glass using a thin piece of wood or tyre lever wrapped in rag to stop it scratching the paint under the trim (if you do you won't see it anyway once the trims back on). Put the lever through the aperture where the speaker mounts but go easy so you don't break the plactic speaker surround.

HTH

In case anyone is interested in doing in themself I wrote a small DIY guide a while ago.

If there is anything anyone would like to add please write it here and I'll add it.

I did this in April, and the rear doors in January - and now everytime it raains I get a small puddle on the rear metal sill but the rubber seals are dry on top.

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/diy-door-sealing-tutorial-costs-less-than-10-a/106846/

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the leaky doors. Took the car to LHT Skoda in Gorseinon, Swansea to have them done. Dropped the car off at 9 and I picked it up at 5. All four doors were done under warranty. I was just told not to pressure wash the car in the next 48 hours (which I wouldn't do anyway). Excellent service it's a shame they are closing in the next few months.

Just an update on the leaky doors. Took the car to LHT Skoda in Gorseinon, Swansea to have them done. Dropped the car off at 9 and I picked it up at 5. All four doors were done under warranty. I was just told not to pressure wash the car in the next 48 hours (which I wouldn't do anyway). Excellent service it's a shame they are closing in the next few months.

Told my local one that the rears DEFINITELY needed doing as both were soaked... then they only did the one after testing :( so i did the rest myself. Messy job but pretty easy... although yet to test for water tightness!

Glad you got it sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Doors again. We had a lot of rain recently. 1st time it's rained heavily since I had the doors done. Checked the doors and both front doors have water sitting on top of the seals again. Actually seems worse than before. I checked the rears too and they have only what I can describe as moisture sitting on it so I can't confirm if these are still leaking too. There's me thinking this would be a simple fix. What's more annoying was that they had the car all day because they said they were sealing all four doors. :mad:

Taking back tomorrow afternoon to get it sorted as soon as possible as there's not much warranty left (end of the month).

Also is resealing the carriers a permanent fix? Has anyone else had the same trouble.

Edit: I just water tested the doors myself by pouring several jugs of water over the doors and windows to see and it does look exactly like this:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/should-prove-quite-interesting-leaky-fabia-owners-take-note/90583/6/#post1271674

Edited by kai_mitsurugi

I only have had one rear door leak on the Wife's Furby, where the dealer had bent the carrier so that it didn't sit flat to the door. I re sealed mine with a black silicone sealer suitable for steel, and used VRSTU's guide on his website. I straightened the carrier before sealing, my carrier is screwed on with 10mm headed screws and not rivetted, so it was easy to take off & repair. The next weekend I gave the window the hose pipe test and there was no leaks. Before I sealed the carrier water would be sitting on the rubber seal when I opened the door and the door card was damp for about 50 mm up from the base.

If the seal is applied correctly I would be surprised if it leaked again. Look at VRSTU's guide to see how far the sealant should be applied.

If it were my car I would take off a rear door card to see were the dealer had sealed it.

Changed both front window regulators over the last 6 months and there are no signs of any leaks on the fronts.

Does anyone know if the rivetted carriers leak more than the screwed on type?

Just had mine done in Warranty. Nice dry carpets now and no funny smell. Should have

done it ages ago.

Point to note if you are out of warranty but have a full main dealer service history and

your doors leak give Skoda UK a bell. You may find they will authorise the work for free.

All 4 doors are supposed to be fixed.

The fix is probably the same.

Just tell the dealer that the doors are leaking. Depending on the Stealer, they may or may not want to check for themselves before they reseal them. Skoda UK have instructed the Stealers to seal all four even if only one is leaking.

When did that come in or when did Skoda give out this instruction- when I got my rear ones done last year under warranty ,the stealer said they'd only do the ones I was complaining about.