Wipers stopping mid wipe

Hi Gents, I am really hoping someone can help me out with this one as its become quite dangerous IMO.

I can be going for 10 minutes sometime 30 minutes or more and then all of a sudden my wipers will freeze mid wipe leaving me effectivley blind. 9 times out of 10 i have to pull over and switch the engine off and on again a few times and then they will reset and i can continue until the next time.

The wipers move at the correct speed while they are working and i have looked on VAGCOM but cannot find anything to do with wipers to look for a fault.

As always any help is always much appreciated.

sounds like an electrical issue to me. The linkage fault will initially show as the wipers moving slowly and more juddery than normal till then eventually give up. Cycling the ingnition won't cure a mechanical fault like that. Could be the motor, wiring or switch. However I would maybe suggest that the motor is overheating and a thermal cutout is taking place?

I have never really looked at the motor in detail (I had the linkage out to clean it all up 2 years ago). Is the parking switch an integral part of the motor and not replaceable seperately? Seems to be rather an expensive route in having to replace the whole motor for a faulty switch.

sounds like an electrical issue to me. The linkage fault will initially show as the wipers moving slowly and more juddery than normal till then eventually give up. Cycling the ingnition won't cure a mechanical fault like that. Could be the motor, wiring or switch. However I would maybe suggest that the motor is overheating and a thermal cutout is taking place?

That was my thinking, the wipers work fine, no juddering, slowing down, squeeking etc they just stop and refuse to budge until i have removed power if you like.