why no 6cd on top model

skodafab

Looked at the new superb yesterday got to admit very nice car but one thing which i am shocked at is on the elegance spec models why is the 6cd player not included in the standard spec when you are already paying out £23000 for the model i am looking at:thumbdwn:

Cost is the principle reason that the CD changer isn't standard. It's the same reason that the auto dimming mirror is optional (even on Elegance). Skoda UK had to cut certain features in order to meet their target price point, and the CD changer was one of the things that had to go.

In any event, the Columbus unit can play a single audio CD as well as MP3s (and WMA) from CD, DVD, HDD and SD card. That covers all the bases for the majority of customers. For those that still want the changer, then it's available.

When you consider that the Elegance spec. car in Germany costs nearly £27,000, and doesn't even get the Columbus unit at that price, then I don't think we are doing too badly.

Bagpuss.

Not having the CD changer doesn't bother me at all, not having an auto rear view dimming mirror is a little annoying but the rest of the car is great value.

Like Bagpuss says everywhere else in Europe the Superb is priced alongside high spec BMW 3series and Audi A4s where as in the UK it is priced more towards Mundanos and Insignias.

Not having a 6cd hasn;t seemed to bother most pepole enquiring after the new superb, but as mentioned the auto dimming mirror is a dissapointing option. they seemed to add a mechanical sunblind in the rear instead....now what superb customer can you see that will stop if its bright, get out, get into the back and pull up the rear blind.....madness, atleast they should have made it electronic, or given the auto dimming free instead!

daft.

Completely agree with you, Pete.

The rear sunblind as standard is a weird choice. If you specify sunset glass, then it's all but redundant. It would have been much better to have it as an option, and have the auto dimming mirror as standard.

I have a strong suspicion that the cost of the rear blind is minimal, given that it's part of the rear parcel shelf. They probably figured they may as well throw it in.

Bagpuss.

I also believe the top model superb unit has a built in hard drive which can store up to 5 days worth of music! that imho is a bit better than a clucky old CD changer!

Thats correct, the HU has a 30GB Hard drive in it thats used to hold the map data and music content. If you need to play a music CD then you can play that in the HU itself and still use the NAV function at the same time.