Man trapped under car

KLM

I once had to help a friend who's car had fallen of a jack onto his foot, trapping him by his (luckily) steel toecapped boot. The wheel hub had come down behind the toecap, so he couldn't just wriggle out of the boot. He'd been sat there for an hour before I happened to drop around. Luckily he just had a bruised foot.

Phil

This is why you have a pair of axle stands and your trolley jack plus if you're not sure stick the spare under the car so it will hit something before the ground.

After changing the handbrake cables on a Citroen BX, I had just crawled out from underneath when the car collapsed off the jack.:eek:

I was so close to getting squashed it really shook me and I couldn't stop shaking for ages afterwards.

From then on, I have always used axle stands and a pair of spare wheels - one each side, just to be on the safe side:)

someone recent on the vectra site i go on had his car fall on him changing a tyre using the oem jack. did some damage to his leg and foot, i dont think he'll be paying football any time soon!

my dear old dad got me in the habit of putting the wheel under the car and always using proper jacks or stands, its stood me well so far!

After changing the handbrake cables on a Citroen BX, I had just crawled out from underneath when the car collapsed off the jack.:eek:

I was so close to getting squashed it really shook me and I couldn't stop shaking for ages afterwards.

From then on, I have always used axle stands and a pair of spare wheels - one each side, just to be on the safe side:)

Didn't you just engage the suspension locking which would have meant the car wouldn't have sunk onto you as long as none of the discs etc hit you.

Saying that the sump would have done a lot of damage what with the handbrake being on the front. :eek:

my dear old dad got me in the habit of putting the wheel under the car and always using proper jacks or stands, its stood me well so far!

Same here, I just do it on instinct now!

Didn't you just engage the suspension locking which would have meant the car wouldn't have sunk onto you as long as none of the discs etc hit you.

Saying that the sump would have done a lot of damage what with the handbrake being on the front. :eek:

Suspension was on low as it also had an LHM leak that was next on my list of fixes - god them microbore pipes were a pain in tha ar$e to fit at times.I'd had a hell of a job getting the car up as they go so low when the suspension is down that you struggle to get any sort of jack under.I had been right underneath at the handbrake end pulling the cables out of the holes that go into the inside of the car to hook the cables onto the rods.Lucky It didnt come down on me then, I'd have been squashed.It was literally seconds after I'd got out that it fell off the jack.Must have been all the tugging at the rusted in cables had moved it around on the cup of the jack etc.

I had a jack fail once, one of those similar to the ones Skoda use now, i just got the wheel back on, and one bolt in hand tight, then it collapsed! I am so glad I was clear!

Always been extra careful since! jack, axle stand and the wheel under the car should it fall!