MPG Octavia 1.9SDI

tkerton

And the rest. On a mixture of about 30% traffic jams, 60% motorway at about 70 (yes really; hire car in the dark is not Carlos Fandango time) and 10% town, I got 60mpg (based on mileage and refilling tank) from a TDi90.

Top speed of an Sdi; no idea.

best i have managed to get out of my tdi, did Cheltenham to the NEC and got an indicated 72mpg.

Involved sitting behind the same truck all the way from 11a on the M5 to where i left the M42. It was also late so the motorway was clear.

It didn't make any sense to me when I bought the TDi.

The insurance was the same for me (although this may be different for young drivers) even though the performance is so much better.

I worked out that the extra cost would be more than covered by the difference in MPG over the life of the car.

50-55mpg. A bit less than a TDi, for the same driving style. They go well enough, not quick but if you just want to follow the traffic or cruise at 70-80 they are quite a nice car. I was very happy driving one at night with no traffic. Obviously in the day, on the 3 lane traffic lights grand prix, you get left behind by LWB works vans and the like. But in it's own way a good car.

The only real advantage I can think of is that it's basic, no turbo etc. Having said that, the car with more faults than any other VW I had in was an octy SDI. It's more to do with how they are looked after than the model.

For me, I'd pick the 110. Though they are all nice to drive in their own way, IF in good nick. I drive them all, auto, manual, SDI, TDI90 to TDI 130 6 speed to VRS 180.

I think the thing I can probably say most about the SDI to sum it up is that other than the EXCELLENT (much better than the turbo one - it's a mod in the USA to convert one on to a turbo TDI with a FMIC) intake manifold, I cannot think of a single feature that is BETTER on the SDI than the TDI. So with that in mind, I'd always have a TDi.

Unless an SDi came up at the right money at the right time....

Greg.

If your SDI is reasonably well looked after, and you aren't kicking the nuts off it (its only got 68bhp after all so why try) and you dont have all the electrics on all the time, you can average 55mpg.

I get just a little less, but i alweays have my sidelights n as a minimum, and if its even spitting, let alone raining, then its dipped beam. Add the that a 1000W stereo and you can see why i'm getting 52mpg, not 55 like I just suggested you can get.

On a long run to Berlin and back last year i was getting 60mpg, until i got to the autobahn stretch and sat at 80-85mph for about 8 hours. That dragged my average for the whole trip right down to 54.5mpg, lol. Dont go above 65mph if you dont wanna waste any fuel at all.

Top speed achievable on the autobahnn was 110mph with me, 2 passengers, and a boot with our weeks luggage in it. But its not a nice 110mph. very noisy.

I fill up at about 500 miles, and the light is usually on before i hit 550miles

The reason folk buy SDI's is because they are noticeably cheaper than TDi's

Hope that helps tkerton

A 1000w stereo does not use anywhere near 1000w. That is the RMS (or possibly PMPO) rating and only applies when it's on full load. Your alternator produces circa 720 watts max if it's a 60a alternator. Under 1000watts anyhow. And that is when the alternator is on MAXIMUM loading. Your main beam on only adds up to 150 watts or so. As W x 0.00134 = HP even if you were using 1,000w and flattening your battery you use so much electric that the alternator can't keep up, it would take just 1.34hp from the engine at 100% efficiency. Say 2hp with medium efficiency.

Somehow using 0.5 - 1hp because you have a bit of electrics on can't equate to using up 3mpg more. The SDi's just were not as economic as the TDi's. It's more efficient to have the turbo to charge the engine with air than to have an air pump via the pistons, which saps power that the turbo gets, more or less, for free to do the air pumping. So even if you use no extra power the dynamic efficiency is better for a turbo motor.

Greg.

If your SDI is reasonably well looked after, and you aren't kicking the nuts off it (its only got 68bhp after all so why try) and you dont have all the electrics on all the time, you can average 55mpg.

I get just a little less, but i alweays have my sidelights n as a minimum, and if its even spitting, let alone raining, then its dipped beam. Add the that a 1000W stereo and you can see why i'm getting 52mpg, not 55 like I just suggested you can get.

On a long run to Berlin and back last year i was getting 60mpg, until i got to the autobahn stretch and sat at 80-85mph for about 8 hours. That dragged my average for the whole trip right down to 54.5mpg, lol. Dont go above 65mph if you dont wanna waste any fuel at all.

Top speed achievable on the autobahnn was 110mph with me, 2 passengers, and a boot with our weeks luggage in it. But its not a nice 110mph. very noisy.

I fill up at about 500 miles, and the light is usually on before i hit 550miles

The reason folk buy SDI's is because they are noticeably cheaper than TDi's

Hope that helps tkerton

I think a "1000W stereo" is probably 1000W peak music power, which is about 900W peak electrickery dissipated, so RMS electrickery consumption is 900 / sqrt(2), or about 640W. That's about 0.85bhp, which is 1.25% of the SDi engine power. Now divide this by peak power, and multiply by nominal mpg, say 50, and you get fuel used running the stereo flat out as 0.62mpg.