smoke

Not that it's the same kind of car,

But i had this problem on my old Impreza, and it turned out to be the turbo seals.

Yeah that was my first thought, obviously your using too much oil there. The car shouldn't really use any, or just a tiny amount thats barely noticable. Where is it going? If it's not going on the floor, then it's your engine or turbo.

Turbo 'seals' is a bit of a strong word! They're only small piston ring type seals, that rely on the pressure differences between the bearing housing and comp/turbine housings to keep the oil in.

The seals will very very rarely just fail by themselves, so you need to look at associated systems. Is the oil drain from the bearing housing blocked up with old sludgy oil? Has one of the engine breather hoses become blocked?

I'd run a compression test on each of the cylinders before moving to the turbo. If it is the turbo, you can get hold of a reconditioned unit if you hand your old one in, for a reasonable price i'm sure. But if you find a fault with the oil or breather systems, you may be able to rectify it and save the expense of a new turbo.

You say it's a new engine, what's the history?

Yeah that was my first thought, obviously your using too much oil there. The car shouldn't really use any, or just a tiny amount thats barely noticable. Where is it going? If it's not going on the floor, then it's your engine or turbo.

Turbo 'seals' is a bit of a strong word! They're only small piston ring type seals, that rely on the pressure differences between the bearing housing and comp/turbine housings to keep the oil in.

The seals will very very rarely just fail by themselves, so you need to look at associated systems. Is the oil drain from the bearing housing blocked up with old sludgy oil? Has one of the engine breather hoses become blocked?

I'd run a compression test on each of the cylinders before moving to the turbo. If it is the turbo, you can get hold of a reconditioned unit if you hand your old one in, for a reasonable price i'm sure. But if you find a fault with the oil or breather systems, you may be able to rectify it and save the expense of a new turbo.

You say it's a new engine, what's the history?

it was replaced 11 months ago ,oil pump failure,it was a refurbished engine from skoda ,so everything was brand new, it has done 15,000 miles from change ,new clutch fitted 3,000 miles ago ,not that is relevant,it has all the power u would expect its a standard 180 bhp

I agree fully with Ken.

Typically if it's stem seals, a coast down a hill with no throttle and high revs eg coasting down a steep 1/3 mile hill in 3rd or 2nd gear, followed by flooring the accelerator will black out the sun behind you if it's valve seals.

Turbo seals are a bit more steady, you can take the pipe off to the inlet manifold and see if there is a large amount of oil coating everything (there is always some, but it sholdn't look like someone just gave it a good soaking in oil). There are other tests that can be done too, and crankcase breather system can also cause this.

If valve stem seals, I use a product that revitalises rubber seals in the engine every major service. There are a few brands, but do NOT get the general 'stop burning oil' additive which thickens oil, this stuff is THIN and it is specifically a treatment to keep oil seals supple. If it really is the stem seals, it's likely to help. If it does not - it adds more weight to the turbo thoughts.

Would also be interesting to see how much play you got on your turbo bearings.

Greg.

My immediate thoughts were of turbo oil seals or inlet valve stem oil seals (is this an issue with the 1.8T?).

Just a thought,could it be steam???

If not,your cat could be covered in oil and rubbish left by the old engine before it packed in and you're burning it off???Still can't explain the 6 litres of oil though unless the grade is wrong.

15000/6 = 2500miles/l, which IIRC is officially "within limits", but IME only seems to happen on gently driven cars and/or variable servicing.

What makes me think "oil seals" is the report of situational clouds of smoke.