comfort level

need some honest views. on verge of getting vrs estate, 170cr on 18" alloys.

test drive next week should give initial impression, but my work sees me putting in some v.long journeys, (eg manchester to plymouth next week)

views on long journey comfort and noise? i'm 6'4", happy generally with legroom as tested in showroom.

i really dont feel old enough for a superb, but accept it ticks the right boxes for long journeys

How about "Test drive all contenders, buy the one that you like the most".

Simple advice, but effective :)

Only you can decide what balance of performance, handling, comfort and refinement suits you best.

If you like the vRS but are concerned about the "sporty" ride then lots of people here rave about the ride on their vRS's after they have fitted Koni FSD shocks.

need some honest views. on verge of getting vrs estate, 170cr on 18" alloys.

test drive next week should give initial impression, but my work sees me putting in some v.long journeys, (eg manchester to plymouth next week)

views on long journey comfort and noise? i'm 6'4", happy generally with legroom as tested in showroom.

i really dont feel old enough for a superb, but accept it ticks the right boxes for long journeys

Mate, I drive 1500 miles a week on business - canterbury to bristol, and all over the south coast. Im 6 1 and have a 170cr - absoloutly love it to bits! The sporty ride makes it all the more fun, but when your sat on a motorway at 80 you dont notice it, only seems to be there when you want it!

Would high recommend it

gregozedobe - erm - I do say I'm having a test, the issue is that no test drive can provide me with long term view on long journeys.

Mate of mine a few years back had a test drive in a Ford Puma in sport spec - loved it to bits. Bought one, and two months later he was driven to absolute despair because he was doing weekly runs up and down the M6, and the hard ride and road noise were doing his head in!

Looking for views of those who have done long distances, and had their vRS for a year or two.

Cheers JamesyG - so comfortable then - how about road noise?

Also - many claim they are cramped in the back (and I have two kids). I've sat in the back with the front seats right back, and it seemed ok - certainly way better than my old Saab 93 Sport.

Hi Pauljmuk,

I'm afraid it's the road noise that gets on my nerves the most and mine is an Elegance on 16" wheels. I dread to think what 18" wheels must be like! I'm trying to reduce it with different tyres etc. but it's not making much difference. There's a general lack of sound proofing IMO. When you have a test drive make sure you drive on as many different road surfaces as possible. Mine seems to get noisy even on roads that look perfectly smooth.

I expect you can tell this is getting up my nose!

Apart from that I like the car. There is plenty of space in the rear, even with the drivers seat quite far back. I'm 6'2" and the headroom is also fine. Boot, huge!

Cheers,

RDX

I'm driving a 170cr w/dsg on 17". I generally clock some semi-long trips every week (around 160km at a time). Accepting the tyre noise, I really like the car. I'd definately suggest trying the dsg, makes things just that much easier/more comfortable. Road noise is something you have to live with.. you can always crank up the stereo a bit and it fades away the noise but for sure it's no Audi A4. I have bridgestone rubber on mine and those aren't the most quiet ones in the market.. There has been some threads in here about ppl getting a bit better results by adding some extra carpeting to boot + under rear seat. I'm yet to try that.

Besides the road noise, there's not much I can complain about. Overtaking is easy, car feels nice & sturdy to drive and has plenty of boot space if you need to haul some stuff with you. Also I'm about 6'5" and still find a pretty good driving position..Legroom leaves me plenty of room to move my feet around and about so it won't get tiring.

// Juha

..... the issue is that no test drive can provide me with long term view on long journeys.

Looking for views of those who have done long distances, and had their vRS for a year or two.

OK, you need to either find an accomodating dealer who will allow you to take their demo car for a long test drive (ie 2hrs plus) on the sort of roads you regularly drive, or pay to hire one for a weekend.

I still maintain that you are the only person who can say what is or isn't acceptable to you in terms of ride comfort, road noise etc. What I think is merely firm and a trifle noisy you might describe as shockingly stiff and unacceptably noisy.

Even then you might get caught out because the demo car had different tyres fitted than the car you eventually take delivery of (Octys seem to be quite sensitive to different brands and sizes of tyres).

I infrequently do longer journeys and have no complaints with mine (TFSI). The standard suspension isn't too harsh but firm enough to provide reasonably good handling. As mentioned above Koni FSDs will improve it significantly though.