Fabia for Dad - need a little guidance

Dad has driven his '87 Peugeot 309 1.3 GL since 1992. It is coming to the end sadly - it leaks, it has rust, the car fills with fumes - well it would be easier to list what does work I think as it is really wearing out.

Now he has sampled my Fabia vRS, he is very interested in getting a Fabia of his own. However, people are hanging onto their Fabia's so getting a second hand one has not been easy. However, my dealer rang and he is getting a 1.4 Elegance on an 05 plate in soon - it has the 1.4 100 BHP petrol engine.

Dad has asked me to help him with the purchace of the car (if it's any good) and this is where I need some help. I know about things like console bushes and door leaks, but is there anything else on the 1.4 petrol model I should look out for?

Also, how do they drive - is it anything like the vRS in it's driving style/feel?

Basically, tell me all you know - I can then report to him and look out myself for any of the possible issues when i go and inspect the car. Dad is very 'sensitive' and I want to get this right for him.

Thank you,

TH

Well, I've just gone from a 1.4 16v 100bhp to a vRS so that prob makes me one of the most qualified to answer your question Re: driving the same.

The 1.4 is petrol for one thing and, of course.. you know this.. but it does mean you have to work it allot more to get any speed out of it. Peak torque comes in at 4400rpm and peak BHP at 6000rpm. This is Vs Peak torque on the vRS at 1900rpm.. basically.. it can be a mover but a little rev build up before lifting the clutch to jump in a gap is requierd.

It's easier to drive than the vRS though.. everythings lighter and easier to move and becuase of the lighter lump at the front the brakes are fantastic.. much more responsive than on my vRS!.. lighter steering (though, this I believe is just a setting done through VAG COM). The cluch is lighter than on the vRS but the accelerator can be a little slow to responde, as stated above.. I read this is because the fly by wire throttle is manipulated to be greener!

Gear box is smooth as velvet.. smoother than the vRS and I swear less travel on the shifter. the gears just pop in! I miss my 1.4's box!

The rides less bumpy but a bit more wollowey around bends at speed. you'd expect this though, right?

Everything else is pretty much the same!

keep in mind, I'm comparing a specific car against a specific car.. none of this may be relivent to your two motors.

So, to round up.. better brakes and box than the vRS (on a daily user basis).. but an engine that needs quite a bit more work.. maybe more than you'd expect for a 100bhp lump.

Hope this helps? Sorry If I've stated the obvious :rolleyes:

Absolutely brilliant - that is EXACTLY the sort of info I am after. The better ride and gearbox will please him, and from what you said, I recon he will really like the car.

One question I forgot - what are the revs at 70 MPH?

Thank you again,

TH

70mph? ummmmm, think it was about 3750ish.. I know if you drive at peak torque 4400rpm (good for an engine) it'll cruise at 80 - 85.. 90 and above and you'll find it starts getting a bit "jumpy".. prob due to the lighter suspension and steering set-up, but nothing scary... the vRS is much smoother above 80.

MPG wise.. if your easy on it and pootle in 5th @ 30mph (about 1200rpm, it'll do it happily on the flat) when you can you'll get 45ish but of course you've always got to be ready to change down quickly. If your super soft and hit no red lights you'll hit 50mpg. If you drive it like Joe Bloggs with no concern for MPG you'll get 36-8ish.. and under if you thrash it. Motor way wise your looking at 46-8mpg at 70. Beware, The computers optimistic. used to tell me 56mpg when I was soft on it. Average distance for me was 450miles per full tank.

like I said before though.. this is all based on my own car and my own trips and daily (non rush hour, but west london) commutes (15min urban, 5min at 50mph and 10 min 40mph). My Elegance was a 2001 Y plate that had done 50k when I got it and 70k when I sold it... one small thing i did notice is that quality of fuel made a difference to mpg.. I'm not talking "premium".. I mean you'd get more outta shell/bp then Esso or Texaco.. Total was in the middle! :thumbup::)

Doesnt the 1.4 suffer from a lot of reliability issues?

Well, if you mean engine specific.. then some have piston ring problems.. but I thought these were sorted out for the later ones? Mine was AUB and I had no piston ring problems or excessive oil use.. though, it may have been done before I owned it..

• 1 month later...

It's totally a buyers market out there at the moment. Have you searched the Skoda site nationally? He doesn't fancy a vrs like yours? I'd be happier buying the car I wanted than just the one the dealer has available, but I'm sure you'll keep your eyes open with the useful info above. Good luck - whats co2/cartax like on the petrol 1.4?

We have a Lupo with the 100BHP 1.4, and I was a Fabia vRS owner until recently.

Engine wise it is almost polar opposite to a PD130. It's good fun, but needs working hard- it goes alright low down, but has quite a step up around 5000 rpm, so it thrives on revs, where a PD130 relies on a big pile of torque.

MPG is probably about 35mpg in the Lupo, driven moderately hard. It would do better driven gently, but it's not an engine that encourages gentle use.

Yes a 1.9TDI would be good to look into, he might find it better to drive than the 1.4 due to the extra torque so no thrashing is required, and if he wants some more fun you can get it Remapped for him hahaha.

Check the oil of the car you got to see , some 16Vs have a problem with piston ring wear and they use oil , of course the dealer may have topped it up but many wouldnt even look at the oil level , so a quick check wouldnt go amiss. Other than that youve got to check for wet carpets , creaking suspension , check the power steering works (especially whilst braking and turning at the same time) , make sure there are no warning lights staying on on the dash (and check they all light up when you turn the ignition on , just to be safe!) Im sure your Dad will love the Fabia , if you get a good one.....I doubt the 309 has heated seats!!! ;)