worrying gear change 'knock'

dan1984

I've just bought my first car: a Fabia 1.9tdi (2001) and I know next to nothing about cars. I don't want to waffle so I'll cut to the chase...

Every time I change gear I hear a single 'knock'. It sounds like it's coming from directly below the gear stick (though I couldn't be 100% certain).

When I bought the car (last week) the bloke said a bearing needed changing at the rear of the rear of the car (I assume he meant a wheel bearing?). Knowing nothing about cars I suppose there's an outside chance the two could be related but even I can see that's probably unlikely.

If I move the gear stick very carefully, and slowly, into gear there is no knock.

Is this in any way normal? Is my car in need of a trip to the garage?

Cheers guys!

PS. I'm fully aware I am an edgit for not spotting this before I bought it!

It might just need grease on the base of the selector or the selector cables adjusting.

It's also worth lifting the bonnet and checking nothing is in the way of the selector cables and maybe putting a touch of WD40 etc top of the gearbox selector mechanism.

I'd probably pop it up a garage and get them to check out the wheel bearings and have a look at it if you're not familiar with doing these things.

I found this when i first got mine, but found it was caused by my clutch depression / gear changes, i came from a car where the clutch bit alot higher up and on my fabia the clutch bites really low down almost immediately after releasing. I know it sounds daft but experiment with the depression of the clutch while changing gear.

Smithy

Thats what i get!!

Thats the Dogbone type mount isnt it? Where are the other mounts, could it be them?

Ive had the console bushes changed thinking it was them, but after a few months i've started hearing a knock when coming off the throttle or putting clutch in.

I'm ordering a new dogbone mount for mine tomorrow, I dont know if the PD160 one is any different but thats what I'm getting. Apparantly theyre easy enough to replace.

A member on here - Chrispy - replaced his at 40k and said the old one was looking a bit sorry for itself.

you dont grease a dogbone mount, what you could do though is if either bush hasnt collapsed completely, is fill any spaces with silicone sealer, firms it up a bit and keeps it all together for longer, a known trick on the clio forums i go on