I think this is a good idea

apd007

Similar to the General's "hot shoe" button, except it's kind of dodgier.

Limiting a car's power is fine, but limiting its speed risks someone getting committed to an overtake and then finding the car stops accelerating.

Similar to the General's "hot shoe" button, except it's kind of dodgier.

Limiting a car's power is fine, but limiting its speed risks someone getting committed to an overtake and then finding the car stops accelerating.

My old Mini wouldn't go above 80 when I was a lad, but it didn't stop me from over committing!

My old Mini wouldn't go above 80 when I was a lad, but it didn't stop me from over committing!

Yeah, but you knew it wouldn't do 120, so you wouldn't launch a move expecting it to hit a ton as you were about to move back in.

I used to know an (now ex) bus driver who was rear-ended when he tried to accelerate past a truck and a speed limiter he didn't know about cut in! Which is another issue in itself; If I don't know this thing is active, and try and follow them through a gap that they would otherwise have made easily and finish up either in trouble or in their boot as a result. I'm sorry; it's a "safety" device too far.

But if the "teen" is aware of the system and that it is active then theres no problem.

They shouldn't need to go over 80 anyway... thats the whole point... if they know the system is there then they would probably be mindful of the fact that they can't overtake something maybe and force them to slow down!

Good idea IMHO.

It's motorway NSL + 10mph which is fine.

Too many little chavettes and chavs driving around in cars with a tiny engine think that if they can reach 100, they can reach it in no time and so try a dangerous overtake.

I've had to boot it to create a space behind me and prevent an accident exactly because a idiot thought they could get past three cars in less than 100 yards. I think they expect to say make it so and the car will be doing warp 8 ;)

personally I think it's a good idea. I remember when I passed my driving test I had been known to borrow my mums car (750cc Fiat Panda) with her permission but it still didn't stop me speeding, Yes I could and did do over 30mph in a 30mph limit which is where this system will fail and live's could still be lost by people not looking when crossing the road or an over enthusiastic youngster mis-judging a corner and mounting the kerb. I do agree that it should still be limited to 75mph, I find there isn't any need for me to travel any faster than that in daily life and can't see how it could be beneficial.

The limiting of the volume on the stereo is great because as I get older I don't like music of today.

you should do what my dad did, i asked to borrow his car, he said "borrow my car, burn my fuel?!?! if you want to drive buy your own, get your own tax and insurance and you can enjoy the costs like i have to on my car but on yours"

Fair play to him, pity more parents werent like my dad instead of letting their kids out to terrorise the neighbourhood in theirs.

Fair play to him, pity more parents werent like my dad instead of letting their kids out to terrorise the neighbourhood in theirs.

But given that a parent is more likely to drive a modern car with modern safety features and a 17yr old new driver is most likely to only be able to afford something cheap like a saxo/106 etc with the crash resistance of a crisp packet.

Which would you prefer your offspring to drive?

But given that a parent is more likely to drive a modern car with modern safety features and a 17yr old new driver is most likely to only be able to afford something cheap like a saxo/106 etc with the crash resistance of a crisp packet.

Which would you prefer your offspring to drive?

Something with good "real world" safety, not something with a semi-specious "lots of electrickery we've not tested" NCAP rating.

load of **** imho, i see more kids smash up on 30mph roads than motorways and/or dual carriageways so restricting them to 80mph still allows them to drive like ****s

do you not think that being limited to sensible speeds on the motorway/dual carriageway could actually change the way they drive, which would trickle into the way they drive in general (on smaller/slower roads)?

ok then.. why aren't all cars restricted to 70mph then?? after all why would anybody want to go faster than that??

I know what you're saying, but i'm thinking more along the lines of if you can set the revs to a certain limit then a garage shouldn't be able to rag your car during a regular service.

do you not think that being limited to sensible speeds on the motorway/dual carriageway could actually change the way they drive, which would trickle into the way they drive in general (on smaller/slower roads)?

Frankly no.

I know what you're saying, but i'm thinking more along the lines of if you can set the revs to a certain limit then a garage shouldn't be able to rag your car during a regular service.

Now that is a good idea and would also limit the top speed.