Throttle Sensor gone again!!!

Hi folks

I've just had my 4th or 5th acc pedal replaced due to faulty throttle sensor. I have argued in the past about warranty and skoda customer services sometimes say all parts are covered on subsequent replacement and sometimes say they are only covered up until the car warranty date expires resulting in sometimes getting it done free. Apert from the hassle of having to go through this cycle each time and having no main dealer in my town there surely maust be a reason for these to keep blowing?

Skoda Superb PD100 '04' classic.

This last pedal/sensor lasted just over 6 months and cost £43+vat for part £90+vat labour = £156.

As I said its not just the money but the inconvenience of it all as it is a working cab with 135k miles.

All the garages/RAC/AA say they have never heard of a reccuring problem as this?:confused:

All the garages/RAC/AA say they have never heard of a reccuring problem as this?:confused:

Me neither. Anyone else?

As for Skoda, I think they're justified in what they've said but still, we have a right for stuff to last a "reasonable" period of time.

Try trading standards/consumer direct? See what they make of it?

Ok thanks Bluefox. For now Skoda CS are looking at a possible refund as a courtesy gesture if I can do the following.

1. Retreive the faulty part from the independant. (I am doing this this evening)

2. Book into a main dealer and get them to check a) the work done and B) the faulty part is faulty and was a manufacturing fault.

The cost of any analysis will be incurred by myself and may be refunded if all the above is met. So I now have to weigh up the cost of getting to and from the main dealer (as its 20 miles each way) and the time they have it (not priority in my experience) + any diagnostic cost as to weather its worthwhile. This will in all honestly still not tell me if there is say an ECU problem or whatever is the cause!

Considering the first pedal failed in less than 6mths of the car from new, there must be something wrong here?

Thanks for any help/guidance

Have you had all subsequent throttle sensors installed at the same workshop?

The first failure might have been bad luck while the rest were due to incorrect installation.

I know another item like this - brake light switch. If the original one fails, you may find that the replacement does not last long because the person who installs it does not know how to do it properly.

Finally, it would be worth checking if all parts around the throttle sensor. Perhaps there's a washer/shock absorber missing or similar and that is causing the damage? Or is the damage electrical?

Ok thanks Bluefox. For now Skoda CS are looking at a possible refund as a courtesy gesture if I can do the following.

1. Retreive the faulty part from the independant. (I am doing this this evening)

2. Book into a main dealer and get them to check a) the work done and B) the faulty part is faulty and was a manufacturing fault.

The cost of any analysis will be incurred by myself and may be refunded if all the above is met. So I now have to weigh up the cost of getting to and from the main dealer (as its 20 miles each way) and the time they have it (not priority in my experience) + any diagnostic cost as to weather its worthwhile. This will in all honestly still not tell me if there is say an ECU problem or whatever is the cause!

Considering the first pedal failed in less than 6mths of the car from new, there must be something wrong here?

Thanks for any help/guidance

No worries.

I didn't realise that it was done by an independent; I guess I just assumed that it was Skoda fit.

Anyway, either way this is the best resolution. This way if it is a fault they (should) hold their hands up and you get a refund on the part/investigation.

Yes this time was the first by an independant due to the incorrect diagnosis by the RAC guy. All previous replacements were by Skoda service centres.

I was talking to someone at work regarding the sensor problem and he suggested maybe the loom from the ECU to the pedal may have ben damaged by the first blown sensor through heat. Could this be possible and does any1 know if this is an individual loom or part of a bigger harness?

Yes this time was the first by an independant due to the incorrect diagnosis by the RAC guy. All previous replacements were by Skoda service centres.

I was talking to someone at work regarding the sensor problem and he suggested maybe the loom from the ECU to the pedal may have ben damaged by the first blown sensor through heat. Could this be possible and does any1 know if this is an individual loom or part of a bigger harness?

It's possible, but of course as the latest replacement has been done by someone else then the first thing Skoda want to do is to blame them.

I'd let them see first. In any case, if the failure of one of the previous units caused the damage - you'd probably need to prove that.