2.5 V6 TDI Manual - Towing Suitability?

2004 54 SKODA SUPERB 2.5 V6 TDI 160 Comfort 4 Door Saloon

Hi all,

Your advice please. I'm interested in the above car as I love the look & have done lots of research re the Superb however I can't find anyone who has done any serious towing with one. I know the Caravan Club have voted the Superb towcar of the year twice but this doesn't equate to towing in the 'real world' as we all know track statistics can be unequal to a wet & windy journey down the M1 on a Friday afternoon!

My caravan is 1500kgs fully laden so weight is within guidelines, I'm simply looking for anyone who has personal experience of using this model variant as a towcar. I've read all the comments on here re the 130pd being a better engine but I am being offered this particular car at well below its trade price & am happy to spend a few extra £s at the pumps to get the extra bhp & the smoother drive of the V6.

Having owned 3 Octavias I'm well versed with Skoda as a marque, just have no experience of the V6TDI Superb.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Mark.

OK, no experience towing but a lot of carrying towbar carrier (basically a box stuffed up to the max noseweight. 2.5TDI has very heavy nose which is good for handling if the rear is loaded. Torque at low end comes in spades even before the turbo kicks in, and the 6-spd manual does not have a problem with staying in the 1st until you get some speed.

Clutch judder could be a problem, though it is the same with all old Passats and Audis A4/A6.

The engine is quite sleepy compared to current Audi ones, but that I believe is actually good for towing as it reduces torque spikes and wear under load.

Remember the high timing belt job cost - stlg700+? Plus not so many places around here who can do this one without messing it up.

Finally, the gearing on the Superb is quite low, 6th is 34mph, Audis have 6th at 39mph. This is also very good for towing, and not so good for me on my autobahn cruises (I have plenty of acceleration, but also higher fuel consumption)

One advice - if you get it, make sure the rear springs are either Heavy Duty Suspension or there is another version for towing. I know Skoda was also upgrading radiators (or was it just the fan?) for towing.

Hope this helps

To be honest, I even don't remember whether it was for Octavia or Superb. In any case, in UK climate I would not worry too much about it.

The springs are another matter - have Heavy Duty ones put in if you have standard suspension.

I test drove all of the diesel Superb variants before buying a 130 PD as a towcar. The V6 auto was hopeless, but the manual is OK. What is less OK is the reliability of the 6 speed box (now showing up quite badly in VWs) and the thirst and high maintenance and tax costs of the V6.

I can't for the life of me see why VAG didn't use a higher geared final drive for the V6 as it would easily pull one. As it is, it makes the 6 speed box pointless (35 as opposed to 33 mph/1000 rpm in top). The difference in engine revs in top gear at 70 mph is 120 rpm, so again the 6 speed box is a waste of time, especially as all the diesels have such a wide torque band.

I really didn't like the unhitched handling of the V6 - the 4 is bad enough, but the weight of the V6 makes it handle like a drunk with a hangover. The nose weight might give less liftoff when towing though.

So, functionally a V6 manual will be a nice towcar, but the costs and reliability of the engine and 6 speed transmission would rule it out for me.

rotodiesel.

Thanks, very informative & as towing mileage will be a lot less than solo (but also very high on my priority list) I can live with a 130pd for power/weight ratio if the overall experience will be superior to a V6, that's just the kind of info I need!

You'll know doubt have read plenty of positive comments and some negative ones about the 2.5v6 superb. For what it's worth I'm a fan but just glad I won't have the road tax but to be honest it's not exactly a material cost of ownership if buying newish and the resale values should now reflect this extra cost.

All I would say is if you are concerned about reliability then try an extended warranty but I suppose it must depend on what age / mileage the "common" problems come through at.

Thanks to all for your contributions to the debate in my head!

I've decided to stick with my current car for a while longer so have had the ecu remapped to give me some extra bhp & mid range torque where I need it most for towing however the Superb is still very much a possibility for the future.

Happy motoring to all,

Mark.