knockin on front of mk1 octy vrs

SNH

hi i have a knockin and some steerin wobble i thought i was the tyres so replaced all 4 today and thats just highlighted the prob even more. has any one had the same trouble or no wot it cud be help wud be much apprieciated. and where can i get a front strut brace looked all ova but no one seems to do them.. cheers:confused:

hi i have a knockin and some steerin wobble i thought i was the tyres so replaced all 4 today and thats just highlighted the prob even more. has any one had the same trouble or no wot it cud be help wud be much apprieciated. and where can i get a front strut brace looked all ova but no one seems to do them.. cheers:confused:

Front upper and lower strut brace's are the Audi S3 ones from any Audi dealer.

Upper strut brace part number is:-8L9-805-629A

Lower strut brace part number is:- 8N0-199-403B

Bolts for lower are:-2 x N104-679-01

Nuts for lower are:-2 x N909-147-01

Put it this way, the whole bottom half of mine shakes back and forth, which is not correct tbh :o

I would imagine a tiny amount of play is allowed but it should be nice and tight really.

HTH

Mine does the same from the bottom, just haven't got around to sorting it yet.

the plastic pegs off the radiator wear down aswell, so you'll always have movement there.

my bottom mounts were very worn, so i replaced the lot. still a small amount of play, but it would never be tight anyway.

loosening and twisting the lower mounts can reduce the movement slightly.

if they wear again i wont bother replacing them, it's just not worth it, ill just support the radiator another way. someone mentioned pipe lagging....

One I found out last week: Loose driveshaft nut :eek:

Made the wheel move top to bottom by an inch or so, and the brake disc knocked against the pad at every slightest turn.

Glad I fixed it before the wheel has fallen off :D

Well spent Sunday afternoon changing the radiator mounts. They are a pig. As they are buried so deep, they must be one of the first things to go on when they are building the car.

Less knocking than there was but there's definitely something still knocking. Probably more noticeable when you have the wheels turned as you are going over a bit of rough ground or a speed bump. Could that be droplinks?

I've had a squint at the ARB bushes and they don't look too bad. Can you change them with the wheels off or does the whole thing need to go up on the ramp or over a pit?

The ARB bushes can be changed with the front on axle stands, make sure if you get the new style bushes (and you currently have the older ones fitted) you also change the ARB bush clamps as they are different.

Another thing to check is the ARB drop links as they are a weak link on the MK1 and wear our pretty rapidly, causing a knocking noise.

g my bro to have a quick look at weekend and he seems to think its the wishbone bushes causin my troubles but gonna get it into garage as soon as poss for a second oppinion. but cause im away all week its a bit difficult cheers for the suggestions tho will let u no the outcome :)

rite thought i had cured the problem over the weekend found out the wishbones were shot so changed them but it was still knockin, so got back under the car and the inner drive shaft joint drivers side bearings have shattered into little pieces so its now off the road till a replacement arrives.:(