Oct vRS service warning message - how to switch off?

jtcedinburgh@gm

I know this is probably a FAQ or something but I couldn't find it. ANyway, my vRS (2003/4 plate 1.8T Octavia vRS estate) is in for service today, but not at a main dealer (I'm using my 'regular' guy). I'm fairly sure he won't know how to disable the service warning message, and I vaguely recall it having something to do with pressing some combination of the buttons on the dash.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

John

Yes its in the user manual, however it only applies if you service your car every 10K miles. If you are doing variable services then it must be done via a dealer or vag-com as its the only way.

Switch off the ignition and press the reset knob of the trip computer below the speedo and hold.

Switch on the ignition and release the reset knob. The message service or service now appears in the display.

Turn the knob for setting the clock to the right until the message is reset.

NB: Note Manny's warning above.

Just to clarify Manny's warning a bit, if you are on variable servicing, the service indicator can only be reset with the correct equipment via the diagnostic socket. If you use Denis's method above the car will revert back to fixed servicing (i.e. every 10k). :)

jtc : Roughly, if you go purring up the road gently for miles each day when the oil gets nice and warm and has an easy time of it then variable is the way to go. If you drive round town on the red line and only travelling a few miles at a time, then the oil has a tough time and fixed is for you.

Between these two extremes, make your own mind up!

ATB, TD

OK, is there an easy way to determine which one my car has? I bought the car from a non Skoda dealer, though it's got a good history and is in fine order. I hate using main dealers for work as they fleece you in my experience, so I've been using my local guy, but of course he doesn't have the diagnostics that a main dealer would have. Didn't think it would make much of a difference but I'm beginning to wonder now....

Look at previous service history, in when they were carried out.

Variable will be roughly every 18K miles, fixed will be every 10K. Apart from that it will need someone with vag-com or a dealer to look at the ecu coding.

From the factory all the post 2001 octavias were delivered to the dealer on variable, however some are reset before delivery to fixed. The service book sticker will have "QG1" as an option, but this just shows it was on variable when it left the factory.