Scraping metallic noise

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Wife was driving the car (Petrol VRS) and all was OK. Drove over a bump - minor one which we drive over every day.

Car started making a scraping metallic noise from under the car (sounds like its coming from the middle of the car) - like the exhaust had fallen off and was scraping on the floor. It hasn't by the way :)

I have driven it forwards and backwards (not turning the steering wheel) and the noise doesn't start upon setting off but you can hear it after a couple of feet. Brakes feel ok, clutch feels ok, gearbox feels ok.

Any ideas what this could be?

Getting the recovery chaps out tomorrow am butanyone else had this?

Cheers

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Wife was driving the car (Petrol VRS) and all was OK. Drove over a bump - minor one which we drive over every day.

Car started making a scraping metallic noise from under the car (sounds like its coming from the middle of the car) - like the exhaust had fallen off and was scraping on the floor. It hasn't by the way :)

I have driven it forwards and backwards (not turning the steering wheel) and the noise doesn't start upon setting off but you can hear it after a couple of feet. Brakes feel ok, clutch feels ok, gearbox feels ok.

Any ideas what this could be?

Getting the recovery chaps out tomorrow am butanyone else had this?

Cheers

Possibly a loose heat shield? Not much really moves in the middle of the car:confused:

Thanks for the ideas - the noise is heard on flat ground when the car is only just rolling (tis jus like a bit of metal dragging on the ground). Sounds really loud but definately nothing touching the ground.

Could the heat shield be fouling something given the realtively low speeds etc?

Cheers

PS I will post up what it actually was once the dealers have had a look!

not sure if it's the same problem, however i'm getting a scraping/creaking noise from front n/s suspension when going over speed bumps. dealer seems to think fitting new shock/spring will fix it :confused:

Do a search for creaking suspension - I had a very lengthy thread and there's part numbers in there

I had a similar noise in my Octy, very intermittent. Turned out to be a piece of gravel between the brake disk and the backing plate (it annoyed me so much I pulled off the wheel and found it before I got to the dealer to get them to look for it).

I narrowed it down to the right rear by driving along with all the windows down. I first looked for something metallic scraping along the ground.

I had a similar noise in my Octy, very intermittent. Turned out to be a piece of gravel between the brake disk and the backing plate (it annoyed me so much I pulled off the wheel and found it before I got to the dealer to get them to look for it).

I narrowed it down to the right rear by driving along with all the windows down. I first looked for something metallic scraping along the ground.

Spot on suggestion: I've had this in the past and would suggest the same. If you flick the dust shield to the brake disc with your finger it has a remarkably musical 'ping' to it.

Possible quick fix, before taking wheels off to check, is to reverse briskly and apply the brakes firmly. This is on the basis that the piece of gravel would likely have got wedged with the wheels rotating forward, so may release when reversing.

And a gold star to you!!

Breakdown people came (good service BTW) and it was indeed a stone trapped as per above.

Cheers

You were lucky. I had the same problem pulled the wheel off searched high and low for the piece of gravel. Could not see it, and as the car was under warranty did not want to take the caliper off. I even doubted if it was gravel. A dealer visit and £60 later, noise gone:mad:.( To be fair they did have to remove the caliper)

I am thinking of mounting the stone as it cost more than the one in SWAMBO's ring(I am very old;))