Alloy Wheels + Damage

Robshaw

Hello all,

I was just looking into some new wheels and I was wondering -

alloy-2.jpg

-With such damage (The huge gouge) and a possible hairline crack. The question is would a simple alloy wheel refurb be able to fix it?

These are some really nice wheels going for a great price. I'm tempted to buy the four and ditch the bad one if it can't be fixed.

So - Alloy people... What do you know? :thumbup: or :thumbdwn:

Many thanks,

Rob

The gouge wouldn't unduly bother me, if they were put in the hands of a respected refurber. The crack does bother me though, and without perhaps x-raying the wheel (a touch OTT??!) I would always wonder if I was rolling around on a compromised wheel, that might cause an issue.

So I'd err on the side of caution Rob. Which wheels are they anyway? PM if you prefer ;)

Steve

The gouge wouldn't unduly bother me, if they were put in the hands of a respected refurber. The crack does bother me though, and without perhaps x-raying the wheel (a touch OTT??!) I would always wonder if I was rolling around on a compromised wheel, that might cause an issue.

So I'd err on the side of caution Rob. Which wheels are they anyway? PM if you prefer ;)

Steve

Steve,

Always such a big help. I have sent you a PM with a few more details ;)

Many thanks,

Rob

Agreed as above.

GTI Monzas aren't the easiest thing to refurb at the best of times unless you're just going to get them powdercoated one colour.

Depending on what you're going to pay for them vs what it would cost to get them properly checked and refurbed it may be the best option to ditch the busted one.

Again this is all depending on the fact they are original BBS wheels.

Agreed as above.

GTI Monzas aren't the easiest thing to refurb at the best of times unless you're just going to get them powdercoated one colour.

Depending on what you're going to pay for them vs what it would cost to get them properly checked and refurbed it may be the best option to ditch the busted one.

Again this is all depending on the fact they are original BBS wheels.

There lies the problem,

They were 19" Monza so aftermarket (reps) - Not from VW. I think I will be giving this a miss.

Steve has helped me find somthing else - Which I have just made an offer on. ;)

Edited by Robshaw