Faulty parking sensors

atanase

Hi everyone,

As I only just bought a Skoda Superb not long ago, I am new to this site, so nice to meet all.

Not sure if the parking sensors are factory fitted or otherwise, but they stopped working after only 1 month of buying the car. As soon as I put the car reverse I get a long beep(3 - 4 seconds), then nothing. This only happens the first time I start the engine, If I engage reverse gear again without stopping the engine and not taking the ignition key out, It won't even do that long beep anymore when engaged in reverse.

That's about it, can anybody help? Thanks very much in advance!!

Skoda Superb Elegance

1.9 TDI, 2005 (05)

Had the same problem on mine ('55 plate), and it went back 3 times before finally resolved. There's likely to be one of two things. Either one of the rear sensors has failed, or possibly (which was the problem with mine), the control unit had packed up. Unfortunately, I had both happen simultaneously, which is why it took 3 attempts to solve.

If it's an '05, then you might be in luck and it will still be covered under warranty. Get the car into your local dealer quick, and they should fix it FoC.

Welcome to the site :)

Yeah, faulty parking sensors are another common fault... try searching this section of the forum, it's well discussed.

If the car's still under warranty take it back to the dealers; they may faff around for a bit but you'll more than likely end up with new sensors as a fix :)

Hi,

Thank you all for your reply, the car turned 3 years in July so that's the Skoda warranty out of the window. I just dropped into my local Skoda dealer(Somerset) and they told me that it will cost 15 - 20 pounds for a diagnostic, and then 50 pounds/sensor(if faulty) for the side ones and up to 200 pounds for the middle ones as they would have to rmove the bumber, that's a ripp off!! I will contact the warranty company(I bought 1 year warranty when bought the car, from Cargiant) and see what happens.

And yes I have cleanned the sensors with a dump cloth, so grime it's not the problem.

Cheers!

Hi,

....for the side ones and up to 200 pounds for the middle ones as they would have to rmove the bumber, that's a ripp off!!

Total and utter rubbish - the NS centre sensor went on mine about 3 months ago. The dealer took all of 12 minutes to replace it with no bumper drop! :)

• 1 month later...
My parking sensors are also doing the long beep now!!! Can anyone recommend a cheap place to buy replacements ?

thanks

Halfords :thumbup:

Seriously though, we do sell them... but I'm assuming you want it to work with your OE systems. In which case, surely just one sensor from a dealer can't be too expensive? I mean, without fitting?

Yeah i couldn't believe the price either when they told me.

I plan on taking the sensors out tomorrow to see if i can narrow down which sensors are working and which ones are not. Also going to phone a skoda dealer in the morning and check those part numbers from the links above as if they are the same that could save me a packet :)

I also thought about using one of these systems to replace the standard fit system if things started to get expensive, what do you think ?

Parking Sensors - Trading Direct Dolphin

or

AVRS1A Parking Sensors .co.uk - AVRS1A Parking Distance Sensors to Aid Reversing and Parallel Parking

thanks for your help everyone

Yeah i couldn't believe the price either when they told me.

I plan on taking the sensors out tomorrow to see if i can narrow down which sensors are working and which ones are not. Also going to phone a skoda dealer in the morning and check those part numbers from the links above as if they are the same that could save me a packet :)

I also thought about using one of these systems to replace the standard fit system if things started to get expensive, what do you think ?

Parking Sensors - Trading Direct Dolphin

or

AVRS1A Parking Sensors .co.uk - AVRS1A Parking Distance Sensors to Aid Reversing and Parallel Parking

thanks for your help everyone

The major parts of installing sensors ad-hoc is cutting the holes and running the wires. The former is taken care of already in your case, so it's only a case of running wires...

Yes, I'd agree that retro-fitting a non-OE system would be a good idea if the cost of repair to your existing system will cost a lot of money.

anyone ? I have tried to pop one of the sensors out but it doesn't want to come out. Should i be going in from behind the bumper ? Is it possible to get to the sensors without having to take the bumper off, if not is there a guide anywhere for taking the bumper off ?

any help appreciated

thanks

Not sure how to remove the sensors as I did not inspect them the last time I had the bumper off (towbar installation), but to remove the bumper you need to undo wheel well liner bolts on each side, remove rear light clusters, then undo the bolts and nuts behind and around each cluster well .

I replaced the sensors on my superb with a Skoda kit from e-bay; they are a completely different fit from the factory ones and use a smaller diameter hole which was a bit of a pain. Also the kit is an aftermarket accessories kit because it wires directly into the rear light..

Anyway I have kept the factory fitted ones that were removed from the bumper, I was told by the dealer that only one of the sensors was faulty but I cannot be sure which one it is, I am happy to let you have the four sensors if you want to play around with them to sort out your problem.

The sensors are all in their holders and comes with the wiring and the control box which had to be removed to get the new set in..

If you send me a PM I will try and send a photo of the ones I have spare and you can check if they look right.

John

Hi everyone,

As I only just bought a Skoda Superb not long ago, I am new to this site, so nice to meet all.

Not sure if the parking sensors are factory fitted or otherwise, but they stopped working after only 1 month of buying the car. As soon as I put the car reverse I get a long beep(3 - 4 seconds), then nothing. This only happens the first time I start the engine, If I engage reverse gear again without stopping the engine and not taking the ignition key out, It won't even do that long beep anymore when engaged in reverse.

That's about it, can anybody help? Thanks very much in advance!!

Skoda Superb Elegance

1.9 TDI, 2005 (05)

I've had 2 superbs back to back. They all suffer this problem.

1) Sometimes, the actual sensors just need to be sluiced out and leave to dry and it all resets itself

2)Othertimes (and more serious) check for water ingress from the front (standard fault on all Superbs ) and a flooded passenger under floor panel where all the electrics sit...

3)And although I've had the sensors changed I think on 3 occassions under warranty across the 2 cars, I'm not sure on any occassion the sensors themselves had actually "blown"

I've had both faults trip the parking sensors and in fact they replaced 2 lots first before they finally twigged about the flooded floor panel.....as it's the rainy and falling leaves season, it pays to check the plenum chamber drainage regularly as the simple act of cleaning this regularly lets the Superb electrics run (in general) without any faults.

Tim

I've had both faults trip the parking sensors and in fact they replaced 2 lots first before they finally twigged about the flooded floor panel.....as it's the rainy and falling leaves season, it pays to check the plenum chamber drainage regularly as the simple act of cleaning this regularly lets the Superb electrics run (in general) without any faults.

Agreed. You'd be suprised what this can do to your electonics...

Anyway I've just seen you've got a Phaeton - you're not welcome around here. Unless you give me your car. :D