Got BLUE antifreeze for the Octy But told it must be RED

Well took it to the garage to get the antifreeze done and found that the radiator has a hole in it so now i need a new radiator :mad: :mad:I have been quoted £142 fitted.

Does the radiator have to come out from under the car or can it be lifted out from the top like on my vectra i previously had.

Is £143 a fair price as i could go down the scrap yard route but then it may turn out false economy.

Thanks again.

Did you unscrew the cap off the expansion tank?

Come to think of it I never unscrewed the cap of the expansion tank :rolleyes: Would this be the reason that only a bit of coolant was drained from the valve?.

Like the post above it now turns out that i need a new radiator as its seeping out from the bottom :(.

I was told that its not advisable to use radiator seal (rad seal) as a temp fix as this can cause more problems with the engine and coolant system.

Cheers

Hi!

I have been told that the old blue coolant is designed for engines/cylinderhead of iron. The pink stuff is for aluminium. The main difference is the corrosive-protection. So it is a long-term issue.

In a case of emergency I would not hesitate to fill blue fluid and limp home...

Olit

Cheers for that, Got a new radiator for £69 can anyone help with the following...for my 98 octy 1.6 petrol...

1. How do you remove the plastic scuttle panel from just under the front bumper?

2. Can you lift the radiator out from the top of the engine bay like the 1.4 or does it have to come out from under the car?

If its straight forward I may try and have a go as the car dosent have Air Con so I dont have to worry about the Air Con Compressor.

Thanks for any help you can share on this...