Felicia starting problem

My Felicia 1.9D has suddenly started to let me down when starting from cold. I have noticed the heater light is staying on longer than it has done. Could this be a sign that I need new glow plugs and perhaps a new diesel filter

Edited by bobkin

Could just be the weather is colder?

The plugs are normally on a timer relay but not sure if the resistance in the plugs would affect how long the relay would stay on for. If it sounds lumpy like its not running on all cylinders when it does fire up chances are one or more of the glow plugs are not working;)

The engine is a bit lumpy and car shakes a bit when it does finaly fire up. Soon settles down after about two or three minutes of running.

I will try puttinng water on the glow plugs.

Thanks to both of you

Fuel filter is easy to change, but read up first, (i.e. check you have spare hose clips etc if required). Does sound like glow plugs though. If the glow plugs are heating fine, theres no easy way to check for a dirty fuel filter I know of, but you could check for a leak in the fuel line, from the filter to the injection pump?

Now that the weather has warmed up again my car starts almost immediately.

I undone the plug on the bottom of the fuel filter this morning and out came a sticky treacle like substance. I know the previous owner used bio fuel because he said the car ran well on it. Would this be contributing to cold weather starting. I have been tempted to use bio fuel myself but if it is a possible cause of staring problems then I dont think I will bother

I have experimented with a 10% veg oil mix with no ill effects, but as veg oil is more expensive than dino-diesel now, I stopped using it. From what I have read the Lucas pumps used on Felicia engines canot cope with the thickness of straight veg oil, but if heated it can be OK, but can be high maintainance to keep runing well. Bio diesel from waste veg oil should work no problem, but there are various potential issues like acidiity levels and a ´detergent´effect on the fuel tank during initial use which cleans the tank and clogs the fuel filter (which could be your issue). Maybe the previous owner was using waste veg oil contaminated with water/gunge etc. Change of filter and a few tanks of dino-derv could sort it.

Thanks Mr butter.

I have taken your comments on board and will change the filter and at the same time re new the glow plugs as other members have suggested, hopefully by doing so it will solve my problems.

Thanks to all who have helped in last few days

Spoke to the previous owner of my Felicia and he said he was buying in biofuel from a professional source. The last lot he put in he noticed was very thick and soon after the car developed a judder effect at low speed. I have had the car since June and only used diesel since and not noticed any similar effects.

I can only assume that the residue of the biofuel is still in the fuel filter and and when the weather turned cold it thickened and had an adverse effect.

Hopefully by changing the fuel filter and glow plugs the problem has been solved before we get the next lot of Winter shivers

Don't wet the glow plugs as this can damage them and when you fire them you must have them in a metal clamp or you'll injure yourself. They get very very hot.

They are fairly cheap (Circa £20 for a set) so I'd just change them all anyway and do the air and fuel filter at the same time.

Easy way to check if it's the plugs is to turn the ignition until the plugs go out then turn it back and do it again so the plugs fire twice. At that point start the engine and if it fires more easily your plugs are on their way out.

Cheeze, not arguing, but how does wetting the g-plugs damage them? I meant wetting the exterior parts (when still fitted to the head) as a quick rough test to see if individual plugs were faulty if that makes any difference. A test light might be a better plan I suppose???

• 3 months later...

aaaah... i also though you meant taking the plugs out and wetting them! will try slobber in situ on the external parts, as my 1.9d is also not starting well at all.

Also mine has had a run-in with biodiesel (though new filter since then), so possibly some residue still lurking somewhere is waxing up... bleurch.