Superb failed first MOT ??

I'm a bit miffed as my Superb failed it's first MOT this morning at 3yrs old.

The reason was a diesel fuel leak around the fuel filter. It's going in tomorrow for them to find out exactly what is causing it. However - a new fuel filter was fitted a month ago. I wonder if this has something to do with it??

John

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question.

Does the fuel filter have a plastic collar around the top of it inbetween the very top of the filter and the mounting band that goes around it?

These quite often dont get swapped off the old filter but they are there for a purpose. If the filter is mounted to low the drain valve on the bottom hits on the engine mounting and cracks, it then leaks. The collar prevents the filter from sitting to low. If its not on there then it wasnt swapped over when the filter was changed.

Failing that check the filter origin, some of the genuine filters made in China seem to have some issues with the return valve sealing in the top, though this usually means air is drawn in rather than fuel leaking out.

I hope so Mike - will find out tomorrow when I take it in. Of course it may be just my bad luck that it starts leaking just after the filter being fitted however I hope they do sort it under warranty particularly as i extended the Skoda warranty for another year. In answer to roto - main dealer but in all honesty i have had no issues whatsoever with them in the 2yrs of owning the car. Lets keep everything crossed - a mechanic there said from what the MOT tester had told him he didn't think it was going to be a big job?

john

Does the fuel filter have a plastic collar around the top of it inbetween the very top of the filter and the mounting band that goes around it?

I wouldn't know what a fuel filter looked like or even where to look for it so can't help I'm afraid.

Will post the result of my visit tomorrow.

John

Tut Tut the old Skoda dealer can't be bothered routine again, now they've put a black mark on your car failing it's mot, you might wanna demand some carpet mats as compo for the hassle of having to return for a retest etc, just mention the words Kia and Hyundai to them, they'll be brickin it.

For a main dealer to release a car with a fuel leak is a disgrace. Leaking diesel fuel is a hazard to following motorcyclists and a fire risk. Which dealer was it?

rotodiesel.

He doesnt say he has taken it does he? Just that its in tomorrow for the work.

If its failed an MOT it shoudnt be on the road until its sorted anyhow, regardless of what fault it is.

Unless it's not quite three years old.

Im not 100% sure on that. Not an MOT tester myself. But I thought if your car goes in for a test (even if early) and fails due to the new computer system thats it, off the road until passed.

If its failed its not road worthy.

If you are driving a car knowing that its not capable of passing an MOT test then you are committing an offence, unless you are driving it to an MOT test station for a pre-booked test.

Just replaced my fuel filter today as part of a full service.

The inlet and outlet pipes could be seated incorrectly or the drain valve at the base of the unit may not have been tightened up properly. The drain valve is there to drain off water that accumulates in the filter over time. (think the correct scientific term is ... wait for it .... hydroscopic). Every so often the valve is to be opened until fuel flows from the filter just to get rid of the water that accumulates at the base of the filter.

Other than the above valve issue try checking the hoses are connected tightly and/or the hoses haven't got rips or tears in them. If none of those apply I could only guess it could be a faulty filter.

It's hardly a massive problem if it eminates from the filter itself but still not on and it's the hassle of MOTs etc etc.

Good luck

Diesel fuel is not hygroscopic - it just doesn't mix with water. The filter bowl is fitted with a drain tap to enable trapped water to be removed at each service - only VAG make the tap so inaccessible that the dealers hardly ever bother to drain them.

Water is death to diesel fuel systems and draining the filter bowl is an important job.

The OP did state that the dealer changed the filter shortly before the MOT test. Who was it?

rotodiesel.

The OP did state that the dealer changed the filter shortly before the MOT test. Who was it?

rotodiesel.

True, if they have left out the collrr it probably wont have leaked straight away. But your right about the drain tap. There isnt any notification on the service regieme to drain the filters anymore and none of the new ones even come with a water trap anyhow.

I heard under pressure diesel has been known to mix with water and cause a kind of emulsification.

Figured with the PD engines being prone to diesel squash the drainage tap on the filter may have been there to just tap off the accumulation of it. Could well be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Im not 100% sure on that. Not an MOT tester myself. But I thought if your car goes in for a test (even if early) and fails due to the new computer system thats it, off the road until passed.

If its failed its not road worthy.

:) No mate, if your car is presented for an MOT test before the expiry date and it fails, the current pass certificate is STILL current. :thumbup:

Whats happend is the spanner monker hasn't put the clip back properly on the main feed, all is required is to push it down and insert the clip, as this seems the case what does it tell you about who fixes the car, it's so simple, imagine this fool had to change the brake servo, how on earth the dealers employ these ppl is beyond me, I once had a Vectra 2.0DTi returned to me with oil dripping out of the turbo, the guy I showed it to couldn't believe it, how hard is it to put a seal in and tighten it up, I could've done 3k's worth of damage at the time all because he needed to make 60p in bonus.

Final update:

Took car in this morning and the Dealer requested that I go into the workshop with the car and observe them investigate the leaking Fuel Filter problem. This I did and sure enough it was a faulty Fuel filter and was leaking from the seal. The dealer replaced the old (new) filter with another new filter and all was ok. There were no problems with pipes or anything else that I could see - just a duff filter. Job was all done inc MOT retest and no charge. Full marks to my Dealer I think.

John

Fair enough, but firstly, what were the origins of the filter fitted (VAG buying yet more Chinese rubbish?) and why was the job not carefully checked for leaks before handing over to the customer? This is absolutely basic when working on fuel systems.

Very poor show - who was responsible?

rotodiesel.

Roto - the leak was so minor that I don't believe it would have been noticeable when first fitted. Remember the filter was 5 weeks old and had had time to show signs of leaking. Origin - I don't know to be honest, but with the 2 yrs experience of this Dealer I am prepared to accept the explanation particularly as they insisted I went into the workshop to watch them investigate the problem. This way I was not goiung to be palmed off with Bull***t. The Daeler was Sherlodge garage Gillingham - and I have nothing but praise for them to date.

Regards

John

Roto - the leak was so minor that I don't believe it would have been noticeable when first fitted. Remember the filter was 5 weeks old and had had time to show signs of leaking. Origin - I don't know to be honest, but with the 2 yrs experience of this Dealer I am prepared to accept the explanation particularly as they insisted I went into the workshop to watch them investigate the problem. This way I was not goiung to be palmed off with Bull***t. The Daeler was Sherlodge garage Gillingham - and I have nothing but praise for them to date.

Regards

John

Everyone makes mistakes, you have a good dealer, minor mistake quickly rectified, totally open about it & no cost to you. Cant really ask for more.