flickering xenon and loss of power = coil failure?

Help all;

I've a VRs and recently the driver's side xenon started flickering t low revs or going over bumps and it actually went out a couple of times - turning the lights off and on brought it back on but it has the same problem.

In addition to that, the power if fluctuating wildly (kangarooing between acceleration and sudden loss of power - on cruise control it handles it ok, but the revs are unstable and fuel economy is shot) and it feels very much like it did when my coil pack went before (which was covered under warranty then, sadly not now).

1) Do we think the two are related?

2) Do we think its coil(s) again (and how do I find out which one)?

2a) If its coils, is it cheap/easy (ie could I do it) to fix?

Your help is much appreciated

If they are related it could be the battery.

For the poor running, try disconnecting the maf and see what happens. If things improve, then replace the maf, otherwise I'd be looking at plugs/coils.

Its a common misconception that xenon bulbs last forever, they dont and will need to be replaced at some point. Its possible you either have a bulb on the way out or a dodgy ballast.

Coil packs are cheap, and easy DIY, but failure of one doesnt tend to affect fuel economy.

I am having the exact same problem with my xenon on the drivers side, and also when my car was on the rolling road a few weeks ago, Awesome GTI think i have some sort of running problems.

The graph from the rolling road was just a peak and then dropped straight off again.

I have a 2002 Octavia 1.9TDi 110Bhp, so doesnt have coil packs.

Anything else it could be?

Arg! I took it to a nice friendly (non-skoda) garage today and they couldn't tell me what it was, but it wasn't the coils - they didn't charge me for the diagnostic, but did replace my sparks which were looking a touch on the grubby side.

Now I've got to take it to a dealer garage and pay at least £25 just for the diagnostic!

R1, if Awesome think you have a running problem, you probably do. With a TDi, I think it can only be a fuelling or boost issue. What sort of revs dows the power drop off at?

Will find the graph out in the morning, and get the information off it!

I know that awesome know there stuff, so trust what they say, but when I saw that someone else was having the exact same problems, I thought I would jump on the bandwagon!

Solved:

It was a sensor on the cam shaft which had gone. The garage fixed it with a new one (£26) and charged me £90 labour (+VAT).

The xenon they couldn't find any problem with - there was an error in the log, but couldn't find out what caused it. I've just driven it home and both power and light seem fine.