Fabia vRS tyres

cheeky

I know everybody has their own personal thoughts and recommendations on this topic but thought I'd add my recent experience.

Originally came with Contis which were fine, but then I replaced the front ones with Pirelli PZero Nero which were equally good but noticeably quieter.

Then when these were due to be replaced, I got a pair of Kumho Ecsta KU31 which I couldn't praise highly enough, a really good tyre and superb value.

When these became in need of replacement, which also coincided with the original Contis on the rear needing replacing too, I though a set of Kumhos would be great.

Phoned around and got a set for about £300 locally but once fitted I realised they'd given me Kumho Ecsta KH11 rather than KU31. I couldn't believe the difference. It felt like driving on ice the whole time, even with just a tiny bit of dampness. I never felt safe - be it in the corners or heavy braking. They were also very noisy and the ride was much firmer.

I decided I didn't want to go through this winter with them on the car so as soon as I could afford it, I replaced them (even though they'd only done about 8000 miles - and strangely the front ones were a lot more worn than I'd have expected).

This time I plumped for Goodyear Eagle GSD3 - after phoning around got a set of 4 locally for £340 or so (granted a little more than blackcircles) and I haven't looked back. The difference is amazing. Apart from them looking great, the ride has improved, they're vastly quieter than the KH11's and the grip is phenomenally better, especially in the wet. Granted the initial turn-in isn't as crisp but once turning-in, it's much more linear (the KH11's would turn in eagerly to start with but then shift almost immediately into understeer) and controllable.

I suppose the flip side will probably be a short tyre life, but then none of the previous fronts have managed much more than 18k. Not that this bothers me; the vRS is a car I'm now back in love with, having really not enjoyed this year with the KH11's on it.

Yep I agree, another vote for the GSD3's - an awesome tyre - I nailed 15 laps at the Ring in August with them and given the conditions and what was expected of them on a 10 min lap they only really started to slide the last few minutes. Needless to say I'll be going with a set of track tyres next time but overall very impressed with the GSD3's! Apparently they're dog poo in the snow though, fortunately we dont get much so happy days!:)

Depends on the teadwear number, I had a pair of Eagle F1's (Treadwear 240)and they lasted 23,000 miles on my vRS.

I now have Toyo proxis TR1's (treadwear 280) and they seem better than the F1's, especially in the wet, but really it's down to how you feel they they work for you.

Hope they last as long :D

I agree with conshine.

I've had toyo proxes T1-R's on a previous car, a leon cupra R. They really are something quite special. At the moment on my fabia, it is running on Eagle F1's, and they are not as good as the toyo's. For prices have a look at internet prices from companys like tyretrader.com, mytyres.com and also camskill, as these were the cheapest we could find tyres for the wifes Golf.

A reputable local garage should fit these for no more than £10 per rim, and will save you a packet over the likes of kwik-fit!!

Hope this helps, :thumbup:

Martin.

My recommendation are Uniroyal Rainsport best all round tire i have had...

amazing in the dry and most importantly in the wet - unbelievable tire

I must try some of these. I have to admit I am a Toyo fan but have heard good things about these from numerous people. Maybe next time. (got new T1-Rs fitted to the front today. Seem to use three sets on the front for every 1 set on the back :D)

I currently have a set of firestone firehawks fitted:eek:

All i can say is they are extremely hard and very noisey:(

Still on the plus side they will probably last a fair time:rofl:

When they have expired i will get meself the Kumos as i have had them on previous cars and cant fault em:thumbup: