Guidance on price for a VRS

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums for the past couple of weeks and am finally likely to buy a car, hence the post - haven't decided what yet (out of CTR, LCR or VRS) but was wondering what your opinions were on the following:

Red '55 plate VRS, 24k with full SSH, has the optional 18" alloys, maxi-dot and sat nav - will come with a full MOT and tax until July.

We've agreed a verbal price of £8200 - does this sound fair? There are others available but mostly slightly more money, more miles and less well equipped.

All opinions welcome!

Hi

I just paid 10.5k for a 56 plate vRS 2.0FSI, 16k, parking sensors, cruise control, jumbo box, front/rear electric windows . That was from Progress Skoda in Bedford, so an approved dealer, got 12 months warranty etc.

Happy with the price, the dealers were friendly and didn't give me the 'hard sell'

DELIGHTED with the car!!

Coming from a Leon Cupra 1.8T (broken conrod, punctured sump, ouch. Written off)

The Octy vRS beats the pants off the Leon. Tried the diesel but it wasn't for me, good though it was.

Hmm, interesting. I'm 100% sure the bloke is genuine, we first made contact when he had the car on eBay but it didn't make reserve.

What always gets me about this situation is sometimes the book price vs. reality - The Parkers price for this is less than £8200 (even though it's based on 40k miles, but even so) but they tend to always be advertised for more. LCR and CTR is often the same.

There are a few on at dealers on Auto Trader for between 8.5 and 9 and I'd bet they would drop given the current climate.

I'll give it some more thought! Thanks for the replies.

Coming from a Leon Cupra 1.8T (broken conrod, punctured sump, ouch. Written off)

The Octy vRS beats the pants off the Leon.

That's interesting - I'm coming out of a company diesel but prior to that I had a remapped Cupra (i.e. not the Cupra R) and loved it.

I loved my Cupra, had it from new, lasted me 7 years, don't get me wrong, it was pretty quick, but the ride was quite hard, and for me the boot wasn't big enough (golfer, so need space for the clubs, trolley etc)

The vRS is better equipped, smoother ride, good handling, 2.0 litre 200bhp vs 1.8 180 bhp on the Leon(standard, unmapped) so it is quicker.

And a HUGE boot for my golf gear!

Hmm, interesting. I'm 100% sure the bloke is genuine, we first made contact when he had the car on eBay but it didn't make reserve.

What always gets me about this situation is sometimes the book price vs. reality - The Parkers price for this is less than £8200 (even though it's based on 40k miles, but even so) but they tend to always be advertised for more. LCR and CTR is often the same.

There are a few on at dealers on Auto Trader for between 8.5 and 9 and I'd bet they would drop given the current climate.

I'll give it some more thought! Thanks for the replies.

We've got a 55 plate Black one for £8,995. Can't remember the miles though, I'm pretty sure it's relatively low.

Is it overpriced?

I'm starting to consider selling mine and thought I would get 7k at best.....Petrol VRs, 20k miles FSSH, Factory Nav, 18" alloys, rear parking sensors, black, new tyres 500 miles ago and full MOT.

Obviously only in your eyes.....

I have been quoted £8k for px on an 06 plate VRS TFSI Estate with a lesser spec than yours with 23k miles on the clock.

Is it overpriced?

I'm starting to consider selling mine and thought I would get 7k at best.....Petrol VRs, 20k miles FSSH, Factory Nav, 18" alloys, rear parking sensors, black, new tyres 500 miles ago and full MOT.

£7k?

I don't know if "Approved Used Skodas" are a good indication of price or not - I guess you'd always expect to pay more from a dealership than you would privately.

But a quick search of 2.0 TFSI vRS shows you are paying £9k as a minimum with the majority costing more.

CraigH706 - is this a potential offer of a sale??

Hi Timmyboy - no, I have not found another car yet and will probably trade in for ease.

Johnwg - I would love the car to be worth more but hard to compare a px price with a straight sale. How can you tell what you would have got the new car for?

Not meaning to talk down the price of the car btw

No worries, it's all good.

Some good news though - I've been scouring Autotrader, eBay, Pistonheads etc etc for the last few weeks trying to decide what to buy, but only looked in the local paper on the off chance last night - I've just put a deposit down on a 2007 VRS which has covered 11k miles, for £8300. Went there with a 'too good to be true' attitude, only to find the bloke lives next door to a good friend of mine who can verefy the ownership of the car for the past year (!) - what are the chances?

Only drawbacks are 1) it's black and 2) it has no toys at all, but the car is in lovely condition and I've got a TomTom :)

I guess that makes me an official member now?

:eek:

That can't be right! Surely!!

Judging by what Timmyboy just paid, I'd say the one I linked to is even overpriced.

So there you go, 18 month old Octavia vRS (not sure if Timmyboy's is a diesel or not) are worth around about £8000 now. Amazing.

I have just checked out the Parkers guides for a rough idea. August 08 *(the last one i have at work) says my car should have cost £13,000 + which is good coz i paid less than that.

Online parkers now values the same car at £10,500.

So it seems my 56 VRS TFSi Hatchback lost £2,500 in three months(!) Interestingly my previous car seems to have lost £100 (£3,950 to £3,850 p/x) in the same period.

It is a bad time for people selling cars at the mo, really depends on who you are buiying from and how keen they are to shift some stock. Some garages have financial backup and would rather you 'did one' than drop the price significantly... My wife needs a new car soon as hers was recently written off and we are looking at 2000 year Audi A4. I have seen some really good ones (Not basic ones) for as little as £1500 where as some dealers still think they are worth £5k.

Hi

I just paid 10.5k for a 56 plate vRS 2.0FSI, 16k, parking sensors, cruise control, jumbo box, front/rear electric windows . That was from Progress Skoda in Bedford, so an approved dealer, got 12 months warranty etc.

Totally agree - Progress Skoda are a good set of guys.