Adjusting headlights

r.carder

There used to be good kits at XenonDepot HID conversion Kits, but I think they changed ownership. XenonDepotHID kit is no longer available, which was the best OEM light kit.

They now have kits with Phillips bulbs but not Phillips ballasts. Still, it is mostly the bulbs that give trouble with the Ebay variety, so might be OK.

Anyway, with the sterling collapsed to dollar, these now look more expensive at stlg200.

This kit gives OEM light and after installation, Phillips bulb but not ballast/igniter:

Xtreme HID 4300k Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kits

You do not need the relays from the kit, just hook up directly to headlight wiring.

Anyway, I'm sure with some Googling you might find places that sell them. Though I noticed that most Ebay knockoff ads start with Phillips ballast, when the only thing Phillips about the ballast is the Phillips screwdriver used to assemble it :rolleyes:

Interesting points there, I'll bear them in mind, thanks.

I'm, er, skint at the moment so the HID upgrade may come next year. Now I know it's that "easy" to install I'll give it more thought than I did this year.

Interesting mate that one, your comparing a Free Form Reflector to a Projector...............:)

Oh yeh :doh:

Although actually... the other car I've had major headlamp issues with was with mine/SWMBO's old Corsa C's, both of which also had H7 projectors. The one that's still in our family is still running the 80w H7's I fitted when we had it.

Can I perhaps conclude then that with projector headlamps, perhaps a standard 55w bulb is insufficient power, regardless of alignment?

All I can say is that I am looking at your discussion points from a 'Working Environment', completing legal checks, legislation, vibration testing requirements, thermal loading, light output, isoplot and isoroad maps, etc and from my side making changes away from the original type approved light source only renders all the months / years of design and testing work uselss.........this is however common practice I am sure in many applications and components......

I think on a dark road the lights on mum's Furby are better than my Superb. (Standard H7 vs standard H7).

Interesting mate that one, your comparing a Free Form Reflector to a Projector...............:)

Well, you have proven my point exactly. For the end user who already has a car with dodgy headlights, the type approvals, projector/reflector differentiators and vibration testing requirements do not make much difference.

What does make the difference is the light output on the road. Which for halogen lamps is sadly much lower for most projectors than for reflectors.

There are aspherical, and mirror screen low beam optics designs which return most of the light on the road, but so far I have seen them only in patent descriptions, and not on the road.

As I have pointed out on another thread, it is about as difficult to retro-fit the HIDs as it is to correctly install a relayed power feed to halogens. Both operations involve drilling holes, mounting components and splicing into wiring harness. Relays will give maybe 10%-20% extra light output, HIDs will give 100% extra light output. So given this and the cost of premium halogen bulbs vs longevity, I'd go with HID retrofit.

Phillips = screwdriver.

Philips = lamp maker.

rotodiesel.

Phillllllllllllllllllllllllllips then :D

Here is a photo of a drivers side (RHD UK car) headlight, taken from above as you would be looking down on it in the car.

Click on the thumbnail for the full size picture.

dsc02178zi2.th.jpgthpix.gif

The top adjuster is for the dip beam height adjustment

The middle one is for the dip beam left - right adjustment

The bottom (right) one is the main beam height adjustment.

They are adjusted with an Allen key, but they can be adjusted with a pozi drive screwdriver if you don't have an Allen key, but this is not ideal.

It is worthwhile looking at the plastic cog on the adjuster as you are adjusting them as my main beam adjuster was just spinning on the shaft and not adjusting (you can't buy replacement adjusters) so i had to adjust it with mole grips, i then used some Araldite to glue the adjuster back on the shaft.

HTH.

My headlights are too low also but I have the Xenon auto height adjusting type without the adjustment from inside the car.

Can I adjust mine in the same way??

My headlights are too low also but I have the Xenon auto height adjusting type without the adjustment from inside the car.

Can I adjust mine in the same way??

Yes, except first you need to hook up VAG COM, open headlight controller, and set it to adjustment mode. Description here:

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment

But basically you go to Basic Settings, Group 001, wait 20s, adjust headlights in the same way as the halogens, then switch to Group 002 to save the settings.

I do not recommend adjustment without VAG-COM, as you will find your headlights all over the place. I experienced that with the Octavia.

Can I perhaps conclude then that with projector headlamps, perhaps a standard 55w bulb is insufficient power, regardless of alignment?
What does make the difference is the light output on the road. Which for halogen lamps is sadly much lower for most projectors than for reflectors.

So what you're saying is, I was right? :rofl:

Lol, just kidding - but I do think that a combination of the long wiring and (relatively) performance of H7 55w bulbs and the projector optics do make the standard headlamps of the Superb a bit poor.

Diesel's right though - I was looking at my headlamps and my loom with a view to making them meet and it's definitely a faff. For all that you may as well fit HID's and be done with it :thumbup:

Yes, except first you need to hook up VAG COM, open headlight controller, and set it to adjustment mode. Description here:

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment

But basically you go to Basic Settings, Group 001, wait 20s, adjust headlights in the same way as the halogens, then switch to Group 002 to save the settings.

I do not recommend adjustment without VAG-COM, as you will find your headlights all over the place. I experienced that with the Octavia.

I remember struggling with this issue also and at least for me this headlight alignment worked without VAG-COM, only thing is to remember to shut down the engine and leave your key as "Ignition ON" with light switch set to ON.

Only then you can move the alignment screws without the automatic constantly resetting your efforts. This way it worked completely OK and has been like that ever since without problems.

Maybe it works differently with Octavia..