Scout - any snow experience on UK tyres ?

Getting a Scout Tdi soon, so interested in hearing owners' experience in the snow on standard road tyres (not with M&S / winter tyres).

I'll be taking it to the Alps and am thinking about taking the gamble on not hiring snow chains this year as we normally get to the resort and only drive very locally while we're there.

This will be my third Octavia - I've had a Jabba'd 220bhp 4x4 estate and a vRS Tdi estate which were both excellent at what they did (although the TDi would have been useless if I'd taken it ski-ing when I had it due to poor traction!)

In the 4x4, I had a scary moment driving down the M1 late at night in ice and snow with ESP on when I had to constantly correct the steering to keep it pointing forward. Since found it should have been OFF. Is it the same with the Scout ?

:thumbup:

If it is anything like my normal 4x4 then the answers mixed, will keep going but won't give you much control of direction if it's icy underneath, in normal fresh snow it's pretty good n the traction control works well in keeping the car heading where you point it.

I've seen some interesting you-tube clips on the scouts excelleny snow performance

I thought it was mandatory to have snow chains in French Alps in Winter (perhaps Snow socks might be allowed)

There was another post earlier in the week which found a size of chains that fitted the standard 17" wheels

... you're right it is mandatory on certain stretches but in all the years I've been ski-ing with different 4x4 road cars (not off-roaders) I've hired chains and never had to use them.

The 4x4 Octavia was dreadful with ESP on but I learnt my lesson with that !

Just wanted to check that the Scout is ok on snow from people's experience.

Will probably put the hire money to something else as its going to be expensive enough at the current exchange rate. 1.47 / £ last Jan and nearer 1.15 this time. Ouch !

The 4x4 Octavia was dreadful with ESP on but I learnt my lesson with that !

Was that in the manual? - just wondered if it applied to our 07 4x4 as well as it's useful info:thumbup:

Was that in the manual? - just wondered if it applied to our 07 4x4 as well as it's useful info:thumbup:

Yes - the handbook recommended switching off ESP in bad snow - presume its the same on the current 4x4 / Scout.

To be honest it was 4 inches of hard snow & ice on a lorry-rutted stretch at 2am, but I'm a reasonable driver. It simply seemed to be overloaded / too slow to compensate and I was opposite locking at 30-40 mph !

Looking forward to the Scout now as the only fault I can honestly level against the vRS Tdi estate I had was a lack of traction. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

With the Dunlop SP Sport (standard fit) I have found snow grip to be really poor. Also I have discovered that the traction control / 4x4 sensor does NOT work in reverse! This could have big implications trying to back out of a ditch for example.

I really struggled for traction on this wet snow!

26167.attach

I've run my TDIs on Winter (M&S) tyres.

As I understand it, Summer tyres aren't really designed for ambient temps below 5c

So whilst 4x4 will help you stay safe, cold weather rubber will help you stay safer!

Although the down side is finding somewhere to keep your other wheels.

regards ... Darren

With the Dunlop SP Sport (standard fit) I have found snow grip to be really poor. Also I have discovered that the traction control / 4x4 sensor does NOT work in reverse! This could have big implications trying to back out of a ditch for example.

I really struggled for traction on this wet snow!

Are you sure about it not working in reverse? :confused: I'm pretty sure my rear wheels were spinning in reverse the other day when I got into some soft mud. Certainly the pattern of the mud spray on the car suggested they were... :(

Yes works sort of but I don't think the cross axel diff lock (brakes through traction control) work in the same way. I need to do some serious testing, just had a few outings on the snow so far. The other day I tried to back up a driveway in the snow and got nowhere. Turned round and drove straight up, so something different. Watched the video I took the other day and yes back wheels spinning in reverse but on there own, front stationary, could only see one side of car so don't know what was happening on the other side. Not tried with esp off yet!

With the Dunlop SP Sport (standard fit) I have found snow grip to be really poor. I really struggled for traction on this wet snow!

Seriously ? That's disappointing !

I'm not buying new (winter) tyres for a new car so will just have to see how I get on - with ESP off of course !

Really with the weather in the UK we'd be better running 4-season tyres.

I'm seriously considering these next tyre change:

VREDESTEIN TYRES / ALL SEASON / VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 3 - 225/45R17 94V XL TL :: £84.00 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres :: R17" - 225/45/17, 225/45 R 17 ::

15126-15453-main--827.jpg

Got these fitted to my SLX Tdi a couple of weeks back(195/65 r15v) for £55 each supplied fitted etc. Traction has been excellent on mud, ice and gravel on frozen tracks even drove on some snow last Friday. Power far easier to put down and breaking much improved in difficult conditions. Slightly noisier (has a wee bit of that 4x4 landrover tyre "hum")and fuel consumption seems to have dropped around 4mpg but still getting mid 50's on longer runs. Although my car is by no means a sporty model I drive it for fairly long distances and do not hang about. The handling of these tyres is not sporty but I have every confidence in them now I have got used to them and their different characteristics.

Was up a very muddy, rutted farm track today with no problems.

I would reccomend these.

Choosing tyres is always hard. I'm still on what came with it, on my Mk1 4x4 I changed to BF Goodrich G-Force tyres, they were much better for grip especially in the wet, and suprisingly for a summer tyre not too bad in snow! Those tyres reduced my fuel consumption by at least 3 mpg so worked out quite expensive!

One of the reasons to have a Scout (or any 4x4) is that you can go a lot further on 'normal' tyres yet still have the good road grip for most of the time when conditions are less extreme. If I want off road performance I just change vehicle...

26180.attach

One of the reasons to have a Scout (or any 4x4) is that you can go a lot further on 'normal' tyres yet still have the good road grip for most of the time when conditions are less extreme. If I want off road performance I just change vehicle...

Yep - and given we have so little bad weather these days I chose to go for Vredestien Sportrac 3's - not a winter tyre but a good grippy summer one...

• 3 weeks later...

Well the answer to my own question if the 2cms of snow that fell on our estate last night is:

1) Good for grip / traction

2) Useless for very low speed braking ! ABS kicks in very quickly with little retardation.

First reactions based on this being the 15th 4x4 car (no off-roaders) that I've owned.

Ok some more driving on ice today, something not right with my traction control! Car booked into dealers for Thursday. Tried moving off with esp on and then off, no difference, loads of wheelspin and 4x4 engaging eventually, not right! Never had this problem with my Mk1 4x4.

Just got back from Livigno in the Italian Alps. Took the Octavia vRS Combi (TDI). Grip on UK summer tyres was shocking, will never do that journey again without investing in winter tyres.

Snow chains I had (Spike Spiders) were ok, but you could still only crawl along, whilst everyone else on the right tyres just flew past.

I would recommend the tyres first and foremost and a set of chains to chuck in the boot as you have to carry them.

Also don't forget in France you need high vis vests for all passengers and a bulb and fuse kit:thumbup:

Ok some more driving on ice today, something not right with my traction control! Car booked into dealers for Thursday. Tried moving off with esp on and then off, no difference, loads of wheelspin and 4x4 engaging eventually, not right! Never had this problem with my Mk1 4x4.

I agree with you that the Mk I was a very easy car to drive in any conditions but especially in snow with the ESP off . I am reserving judgement on the Scout for the Dunlops appear to loose grip far more easily in the wet /ice than any other car I have owned , bearing in mind that it has a Haldex system . I may comment again when I have driven them in real snow .

JawsnPaws

Definitely worse at crawl speed than the Mk1 4x4's we both owned by the sounds of it ! The ABS was kicking in on with very little pedal pressure and for a long time (seconds)before coming to a full stop.

Like yourself, I'm reserving judgement but am now tempted to hire some chains for ski-ing, even though they've been unused on the trips I've done before.

Down to -5.8c here already. More practice braking at the end of our estate road in the morning !!

JawsnPaws

Definitely worse at crawl speed than the Mk1 4x4's we both owned by the sounds of it ! The ABS was kicking in on with very little pedal pressure and for a long time (seconds)before coming to a full stop.

Like yourself, I'm reserving judgement but am now tempted to hire some chains for ski-ing, even though they've been unused on the trips I've done before.

Down to -5.8c here already. More practice braking at the end of our estate road in the morning !!

with the scout tdi 140pd engine there would be torque steer on pull off.. the first gear is set lower for pulling power ..

am driving here in europe on UG7 winter tyres and no traction problems -except in freezing rain ..and there nobody has a chance..

Mars4lux. It's nothing to do with the torque output, its just that the tyres aren't very good as you say. The UK doesn't 'do' winter tyres in big numbers yet, but if we have a bad winter hopefully that will change !

My local tyre dealer (in Doncaster UK) had to special order winter tyres, their wholesaler delivered to them next working day. The only downside I've found is that my summer wheels are sat in the front room, much to SWMBOs disapproval!

Hi,

I haven't tried the Scout in snow but living in the Cairngorms I use my 4x4 in the snow & ice all the time & yes the it works best with the ES thingy off.

I have Goodyear tyres fitted that have to deal with sticky mud, snow, ice - everything including our woodland track leading to the house & cant complain about them. Guess making sure their at the right inflation & in good condition is the important bits.

Hope it's of help

Gibby

Hi,

Recently got back from a couple of weeks in the French Alps having fitted some Vredestein WINTRAC XTREME's to my Scout for the winter.

Had a couple of very cold weeks and a fairly snowed-in road to the accomodation. The tyres performed very well throughout - only had to resort to chains on one occasion. I've read a few posts re: chains on the Scout. After some crawling about under the car taking measuring clearances the guys at Brindley Chains were able to recommend some. Worked like a charm.

The tyre gets a thumbs up from me.