VRS CR TDI - which diesel to use?

I was just wondering whether people used the super diesel or just the standard stuff and which performs better?

I've always used V-power in my TFSI and think there is a noticeable difference but is the same true with the super diesel?

My PD VRS seems to like V-Power, and I remember my old Fabia VRS ran better in terms of MPG on BP Ultimate Diesel.

At present I only add Millers with any bog standard stuff

I agree! My PD170 prefers v-power. never tried millers so can't comment on that!

My PD certainly likes the dear stuff.

Went through a period of using mainly supermarket fuels which it didn't like at all. So now I use V-power or the BP version. If I can't get it I stick to Shell or BP garages.

Don't notice any difference in fuel consumption but it is much smoother, so for me it is worth the few extra pence.

Happilly, Shell is the cheapest in Sheffield. 102.9. I think v-power is 107.9. I tend to do a few tanks of normal Shell and then a few of v-power. Dunno for sure if there's a worthwhile difference, but my economy is fantastic and the car is running smoother and better than ever . Currently half way into a tank of v-power after about 4 tanks of normal and I did notice how smooth, quiet and free reving it seemed the last couple of days. I think I'll keep on with this strategy.

Mine runs better on VPD, economy isn't affected much though

Also, intriguingly, on the RR it was torquier running VPD over BP Ultimate

BP = More power (177.9), near standard Torque, maybe +5lb/ft at best

VPD = Slight extra power (173.2), over 20lb/ft more torque

On a mixture of BP and VPD = more torque and power... :cool:

Mine runs better on VPD, economy isn't affected much though

Also, intriguingly, on the RR it was torquier running VPD over BP Ultimate

BP = More power (177.9), near standard Torque, maybe +5lb/ft at best

VPD = Slight extra power (173.2), over 20lb/ft more torque

On a mixture of BP and VPD = more torque and power... :cool:

VPD - V-Power diesel?

Yeah, sorry, thought i'd written it full in there before abbreviating it... :o

No worries - thanks for the info. I'll report back with my thoughts when I've run through a few tank fulls.

Cannot say anything to the CR, but to the PD I can.

Always drive my PD with synthetic diesel (only if there is no synthetic diesel available I will use normal diesel). Advantage of synthetic diesel is that it will burn with less soot. Therefor you could get less problems with your paricular filter.

I noticed a slightly quieter engine when using Ultimate, also with V-Power but less quieter than Ultimate.

Didnt notice much difference in performance or economy. But this is due to the fact that I only had to use normal diesel in speedrestricted countries (Italy and Switzerland).

Most noticable difference was last summer. I had never seen the particular filter light before. But after filling up the tank with normal Avia diesel in Switzerland, my PF-light came up after about 450km in Italy. This was the first time in about 50000mls that I had to burn the filter free.

Also once had a remark of my mechanic (who testdrove the car to clean the filter) that my car cleaned its filter quicker than he used to notice on the other VAG cars with particular filter and that it didnt build up soot as fast as the other cars. This could be due to the synthetic diesel.

Another small thing, synthetic diesel smells different (the fuel itself aswell as the fumes the car produces).

• 4 weeks later...

Jonno,

How have the trials gone!? I have only ever used supermarket stuff (Sainsburys) and I am seeing an overall average of 44.9 mpg (since new - just over 4,000 miles). I am going to treat it to a New Years present of some "ultimate" fuel tomorrow but I am intrigued as to whether it has made any difference!?

I'm only ever Tesco diesel or similar on 5600 miles so far

But for the next few tank fulls I am adding Millers PS4 adding exactly as per bottle instructions.

done 100 miles so far, and it already seems a bit more sprightly

will keep you posted

Jonno,

How have the trials gone!? I have only ever used supermarket stuff (Sainsburys) and I am seeing an overall average of 44.9 mpg (since new - just over 4,000 miles). I am going to treat it to a New Years present of some "ultimate" fuel tomorrow but I am intrigued as to whether it has made any difference!?

I've only done 900 miles so it's early days yet - I'm only on my third tank of diesel. The first tank was supplied by the dealer so I assume it was just the normal stuff. I used V-Power diesel next and to be honest couldn't tell the difference. I'm back to the normal stuff topped off with some millers now but again, I'm struggling to tell the difference.

Ok- know it's only a baby 70/75 bhp TDi - but it's got to be a "slutmobile " as far as fuel goes -seems to like the bottom end of the market -the cheaper the better ,and the trip thingy says about 50 ( and it goes like a mini bat out of hell (as far as the titchy engine allows))