4x4 Tdi?

Don't think so. You would need the body shell from a 4x4 to start with as it is different from the FWD shell. I imagine the gearboxes are fundamentally different between the 4x4 and FWD too.

I think they did sell a diesel 4x4 in Europe so you would probably be better off getting one and doing a RHD conversion. Or just buy a MkII 4x4 TDi - so much simpler.

They made a 110 Tdi 4x4 Octy ! in europe its probably a LHD thing same as the BMW IX's that you could only get abroad!

But what i wanted to know was if i had a 4x4 shell would the tdi engine match the exsisting gearbox ie the one from a 1.8t if so its a case of an engine change if not then its probably not worth the effort.

Just had enough of a front wheel drive car, not ideal would be perfect if it was rear wheel drive buit thats not going to happen so all i can do is 4 wheel drive!

Just want the economy and the performance of the diesel without the poor handling of the front wd chassis.

Thought that if it was 4wd it would handle half decent rather than understeer under steer under steer lol

Plus i had my TDI remapped its about 150bhp which i was going to take further but not on a front wheel drive car!

dear oh dear, please don't spread rubbish when you don't know.

the diesel and petrol engines use the same gearboxes the only difference is the ratio's so that lot would simply bolt together, a few people(for some silly reason) have fitted diesel boxes to their petrols(when running 350bhp+) as they think its better, but the job would be a right PITA as virtually everything would have to be changed, the entire fuel system(tank/lines/pumps etc etc), the engine loom would most probably be different then nearly everything in there except the drivetrain.

for teh gear box it would have to come from an A3 most probably as you'd need a 4x4 diesel on that platform which didn't go in any uk octavia's, seats but i'm not sure on golf's but the A3 did.

completely not worth it as it would cost a fortune to get it done.

I thought about this when I bought my pd130 as intended to modify upto and beyond 200bhp and 350/400ftlbs of torque. I had quite a heavy foot and could light up the front wheels quite easily when setting off onto busy roundabouts but have learnt how to contol it and don't see the need for 4x4 with it's current power. A decent suspension/tyre setup and not being heavy footed works really well. I would still like to make it a 4x4 just for visiting SWMBO's horse as some of the roads become unpassable for 2wd cars.

I am saving for a mk2 4x4 now though, probably much cheaper in the long run

dear oh dear, please don't spread rubbish when you don't know.

It was either spout crap or watch x factor...

I am really surprised that the diesel and petrol boxes are interchangeable, presumably the person at Skoda/VW who thought this up was fired straight after that. I thought the aim was to make everything as complicated as possible - like why are there 5 or 6 versions of the plastic trim for the release thing on the back seat?

Yes I believe the tdi will fit in a 1.8t 4x4. However the gear ratio's will be too high so I think the easiest options are:

1) buy a nice petrol 4x4, sell the engine and gearbox, fit gearbox from a A3 or similar diesel 4x4 (correct gear ratios so you are not trying to cruise at 4,000rpm!) and engine either from the A3 as well if you want a PD, or a 110tdi from any old Octavia.

2) as mentioned, get a LHD and convert it to RHD.

I don't know why you want to do this though. A well set up Octy has nohing in the way of torque steer or problems that would cause you to need 4x4 in reasonable daily driving. If for track days/racing, maybe some issues. RWD while better in some ways is worse in others, so can't be classed as 'better'. For example the oversteer rather than understeer on power which is less safe, poorer grip in snow/mud/wet. But better under power/towing.

For my money I'd stick with a 2wd and put a limited slip differential in. This will at a stroke eliminate nearly all the FWD issues one can feel, where one wheel wants to slip/scrabble/bring the ASR in/tug at the steering. The grip/power that can be put down is best classes as Serious with a LSD. Prices from £500 a lot cheaper than a 4x4.

Add in a upgraded front and rear anti roll bar set, a full car set of poly bushes and you would have an exceedingly tight vehicle. I can vouch from jumping out of a TT quattro 1.8t into my L&K 1.8t the other week that the Quattro wouldn't go round the roundabout near me any faster and still understeered out under power. It would however get off the line quicker than mine as mine would want to spin one wheel in the wet bringing the ASR on and backing off the power. If my 2wd had a LSD there wouldn't be THAT much between them in traction, though the quattro is always going to be better, but the 2wd would be as good in cornering and better in efficiency/cruising due to less drag.

If you want a really sweet riding and handling car that is RWD, just go buy a 5-series. You'll never get an Octavia to that level, ever.

IMHO

Greg.

They made a 110 Tdi 4x4 Octy ! in europe its probably a LHD thing same as the BMW IX's that you could only get abroad!

But what i wanted to know was if i had a 4x4 shell would the tdi engine match the exsisting gearbox ie the one from a 1.8t if so its a case of an engine change if not then its probably not worth the effort.

Just had enough of a front wheel drive car, not ideal would be perfect if it was rear wheel drive buit thats not going to happen so all i can do is 4 wheel drive!

That is mainly lack of rear ARB and lack of a LSD. Very fixable. Over 200bhp is no prolem at all in a 2wd fwd octavia set up right, 300bhp isn't crazy so for your level trying to fix a handling imbalance by engaging the rear wheels a) won't acheive the desired result of reducing understeer and B) can be fixed more easily.

Just want the economy and the performance of the diesel without the poor handling of the front wd chassis.

Thought that if it was 4wd it would handle half decent rather than understeer under steer under steer lol

Plus i had my TDI remapped its about 150bhp which i was going to take further but not on a front wheel drive car!

Am I right in assuming that the 4x4 doesn't have a separate gearbox and transfer box, so you will have 3 outputs from the gearbox, 2 for the front wheels and one for the prop shaft to the rear diff? Can't see how there would be room for any other arrangement.

Also where is the clever haldex thingy? at the front or rear?

Again, it won't cure your understeer or the general feel of the drive, it's still the same platform just less of the wheel spin from a hard wet start.

Good luck though, Greg.

Basically im getting the answer i thought!! its too much work I dont mind a LHD car as ive got an E30 M3 so thats not an issue.

I think ill go back to Germany and buy a LHD Octavia Tdi 4x4, ive already priced one up its just finding time to go have a look.

Cheers Guys

• 4 years later...