Bargain engine upgrade Q...

Hey all....

I intend to rally a Felicia next year, build pics to follow soon...

Is currently fitted with a Favorit 1.3 engine

is pretty lacking in power...

My question is, what is the best engine, in bog standard form that i can find in a scrap yard that i can put into felicia?

i intend to run in a sub 1.4 class

is it possible to fit a Fabia 1.4 into a felicia? without Too much work?

and failing that, are there any injection, higher HP Felicia engines that will go into the rally car with the minimum of fuss? which year felicia had the quickest engine, etc... cheers :)

Im not adverse to a bit of work, but time is the issue, first rally of the season in mid Jan

Edited by wkdrwd

yes, the 1.4 mpi fabia lump will go in but not easily...

the water pump mounting/engine mount needs to be modified/customed, and the crankshaft has a vw 6 bolt flywheel bolt pattern rather than the 4 bolt on the felicia 1300 flywheel

the guy to talk to about this on here is the member fruitbat

Edited by TeflonTom

How about the mk4 polo 16v engine

that is a really nice looking favia, kinda made me want to mount the lower end of the front bum per to my felicia and paint it the same color (to mimic it)

what rims you have on ?

oh and to keep in subject with the thread, how about increasing the bore on the present engine and swapping injectors and computer chip? , the favia 1.4 engine is also a 8valve engine, y basically the same engine different cc, come to think about it, try to find out if you can fit the pistons or any parts like fuel rail that make it a 1.4, that way, you will have your engine with 1.4 parts

wouldn't that be easier

oh also, if your gonna race, i suggest you go to a dyno, as i said before, ignition timing, and valve clearance adjustment can do a lot to increase the power of the engine, i know cuz i left a couple of cars eating my dust in 1/4 miles (but the fuel economy was crappy) two things you are definitely need to do is change the air filter for a performance one and change the exhaust manifold and don't increase the diameter of the exhaust too much, just remove the cat (if law permits) an replace one of the mufflers with a fiver straight one

trust me bigger diameter in the exhaust equal ****ty power and top speed (i think you don't want that)

that would be my choice too:)

ditto, 16 valves, 1400cc, exhaust, intake, mod chip and light frame, thats a rocket

heck, i might start looking for one (since i want to get rid of the carburetor)

Or you could think backwards instead of forwards and get a Skoda Estelle engine prepped up for rallying. Folks used to get 100HP+ out of the 120 lump. This forum will be the place to find one!

serious? i never even considered that option...

i have a couple of Estelle engines, you mean the ones with the iron heads?

am liking the idea of the 1400 16v Polo engine, that sounds like what im looking for...

Hi folks, I started a thread earlier on (as a newbie) and then searched for engine upgrade options and came across your thread. I have copied my thread and wondered if any of these questions have been answered before.

Thanks

Herma

(aka cloggy-jasiri)

Skoda Favorit Rally Car - engine upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks,

My name is Herman, a new recruit to the forum looking for some guidance as to what the best power unit to use.

I am about to upgrade my LHD Favorit road rally car from a carburettor version of the 1.3 having just knocked out the big ends on the Preston. I want to upgrade the car to something with a bit more grunt and fuel injection. What are the implications of going to a 1.3MPi, 1.6 MPi, from a Felicia or a 1.4 8 or 16v from a Fabai, VW or similar.

Clearly there is no loom in the current car for an ECU so a donor car will have to be bought (i.e. running damaged repairable).

Has anyone done something similar and what recommendations do you have, and just a few questions:-

1 - How easy is it to integrate the loom(s) of the three options?

2 - Is it necessary to upgrade the gearbox / drive train for the 1.6 or 1.4 variants?

3 - Will the 1.4 fit onto 1.3 5 speed box?

4 - Are engine mounting mods required for the 1.6 or 1.4?

5 - Car is prior to CAT being a requirement, will later engines with CAT operate OK if they are removed, or will it 'confuse' the ECU and settings?

We have access to welding gear etc and are not phased by taking on tasks like this. We have transplanted Ford Pinto engine / gerabox with electronic ignition into a Marina and changed the back axle to Lada with coil springs and 5 links.

Thanks for your help

cloggy-jasiri

1 - How easy is it to integrate the loom(s) of the three options?

2 - Is it necessary to upgrade the gearbox / drive train for the 1.6 or 1.4 variants?

3 - Will the 1.4 fit onto 1.3 5 speed box?

4 - Are engine mounting mods required for the 1.6 or 1.4?

5 - Car is prior to CAT being a requirement, will later engines with CAT operate OK if they are removed, or will it 'confuse' the ECU and settings?

1. i'm not an expert on the LHD version, but they should be the same as the RHD model as far as the engine loom is concerned, fitting the 1.3 or 1.6 felicia engine should be a straight fit but you will need to change the in-tank fuel pump for an mpi(high pressure) pump, to do the 1.4 fabia engine would be a bit of a headache becuase they use drive-by-wire and a few other bits which make if awkward.

2. the skoda gearboxes aren't the strongest in the world but it should be ok

3. with the correct mounting plates you will be able to re-use your existing driveshafts and gearbox/linkage on a 1.4 or 1.6 vw lump but you will need a felicia 1.6 flywheel and clutch, the 1.3 mpi will be a straight fit

4. not as such for the 1.6, you would remove the left hand mounting and use the felicia 1.6 main engine support, for the 1.4 you would need to modify the bracket slightly

5. yes it will work

• 3 weeks later...

i picked up a 1400cc VW Vento today, a free to take away job...

I also have a Diesel Felicia now too

So, with these bits, (and im assuming the engine mounts from a 1600 Fellicia?)

would it be possible to put this engine in a Felicia?

and is it worth doing?

bearing in mind i have to keep it sub 1400cc

Ventoengine.jpg

at least it was a freebie, unfortunately that one is a single point injection job so it will cause you a head-ache, it will go in there if you use all the right bits from a 1600 felicia (mounts, flywheel, gearbox etc)

Tom, i dont know what i'd do without ya...

You have all the answers LOL

if you've ever over this direction i owe you a few pints

Not worth the hassle so?

i assumed it would match up to the Diesel Felicia box and plate?

if not, thats that idea out the window then...

Oh well... i can always sell the dirty vento and put the money towards the skoda :)

right, thats that idea out the window...

ive Never even seen a 1600 Felicia in this counry...

it was either 1300 or the good ould Daysul.... "its a VW daysul dont you know...?!" LOL

!