Loss of torque ?.....Or maybe not ?

BRUN

this is my first ever diesel, and ive only had it for 2 weeks

i picked it up on a Sunday night, and got the cambelt, aux belt, water pump etc done on the following Thursday

in the few days that i drove it before having the belt done, i noticed a very apparent sweet spot after changing into 3rd, the car seemed to just pull like a train with very little throttle!

since i had the belts done ive been taking it easy to let everything bed in, but i dont seem to have as much pull in 3rd anymore

its strange because the other night it felt like i had this back and everything was fine, but on other days i dont feel like its there as much anymore

to be fair im still taking it pretty easy so maybe its that, but do you think its not been timed properly ?.........everything was locked up using the correct tools, had it done at work (Renault dealership) and the techy that did it has done quite a few belts on VAG engines so knew what he was doing

ive done 100 miles or so on it now so might give it more of a blast tomorrow see how things are but im wondering if its because im taking it easy im not in the correct rev range

any thoughts ?

On mine the way the fuelling works makes it pull massively strongly when the engine is cold. It never seems to pull as strongly once it's warmed through.

Well, just touching the throttle on mine when it's cold gives a highly satisfying lump of thrust. It doesn't seem to do it the same when it's warmed through. Is yours a BLT engine (late 2005 onwards)?

please nobody give they're vrs's or any turbo cars especially 'beans' when cold... unless you like replacing turbo's...

always allow a turbo car 5 mins or maybe more to 'warm up' especially in the case of the fabia vrs :thumbup:

I'd never dream of using any more than 2500rpm until the car is warmed through but 2000-2500rpm is where all the shove is anyway. And you can't really drive the car with less than 1500rpm or it's labouring so define 'beans'. And 5 mins isn't remotely close to enough to warm it up. 20-30 minutes of normal driving is more like it. I'm really lucky as I don't think mine has ever been started up for a run of less than 15 miles, usually 55 miles.

I'd never dream of using any more than 2500rpm until the car is warmed through but 2000-2500rpm is where all the shove is anyway. And you can't really drive the car with less than 1500rpm or it's labouring so define 'beans'. And 5 mins isn't remotely close to enough to warm it up. 20-30 minutes of normal driving is more like it. I'm really lucky as I don't think mine has ever been started up for a run of less than 15 miles, usually 55 miles.

ahh right still would rather take it easy when cold :) but it is a pest waiting for it to warm up :(

ahh right still would rather take it easy when cold :) but it is a pest waiting for it to warm up :(

You see, I think 50% of maximum (~2500rpm) is taking it easy, especially as it only gives you a 1000rpm band to work in once it's moving.

Leaving it running while standing still won't warm it up as it needs load to generate heat apparently.

It's probably also worth pointing out that mine lives in a heated garage overnight, so it never gets awfully cold anyway.

You see, I think 50% of maximum (~2500rpm) is taking it easy, especially as it only gives you a 1000rpm band to work in once it's moving.

Leaving it running while standing still won't warm it up as it needs load to generate heat apparently.

It's probably also worth pointing out that mine lives in a heated garage overnight, so it never gets awfully cold anyway.

i usually try and keep mine totally out of the turbo band... boring but its got me to 62k so far with a harsh map so must be doing something right :D

i usually try and keep mine totally out of the turbo band... boring but its got me to 62k so far with a harsh map so must be doing something right :D

So you're driving it under ~1700rpm?:eek: For how long?

You could also just be getting used to it. When I got my first properly quick car (a 280bhp Mitsubishi Legnum VR4) I thought it was almost uncontrollable under full accelleration. Within 6 months I was complaining to the guys in the office that it needed more power! It didn't - I had simply adjusted to being able to overtake in shorter distances and I wanted more.

My vRS isn't remapped and I was saying to my wife only yesterday after joining a motorway from an uphill ramp at some speed, with a big grin's worth of accelleration, that I really can't imagine how quick the remapped cars must feel. I only drive the Fabia at the weekend now and it really does have 'lumpy' torque delivery characteristics. The trick Skoda pulled off with the Fabia was to make a car that feels far faster than it actually is. My Passat is actually much quicker, it just desn't feel like it.

what kind of rev range do i need to be in to get the most torque from gear changes?

Around 3Krpm or maybe a little more should drop it back into around 2.2K. If you're really giving it some, rev it to 4K+ to drop back into 3K+ range.

Best rev range for economy I've found is 1600-1900rpm, assuming you're in a higher gear.

J.

You could also just be getting used to it. When I got my first properly quick car (a 280bhp Mitsubishi Legnum VR4) I thought it was almost uncontrollable under full accelleration. Within 6 months I was complaining to the guys in the office that it needed more power! It didn't - I had simply adjusted to being able to overtake in shorter distances and I wanted more.

My vRS isn't remapped and I was saying to my wife only yesterday after joining a motorway from an uphill ramp at some speed, with a big grin's worth of accelleration, that I really can't imagine how quick the remapped cars must feel. I only drive the Fabia at the weekend now and it really does have 'lumpy' torque delivery characteristics. The trick Skoda pulled off with the Fabia was to make a car that feels far faster than it actually is. My Passat is actually much quicker, it just desn't feel like it.

Remapped vs standard they're isn't 'that' great of a difference tbh :thumbup: