Poor fuel consumption

I am only averaging 39 MPG with my estate 105 tdi is this the norm or is there something wrong,

Surly even using it as a taxi it should be nearing 45 to 48, as its mainly in a mix of town and really rural A roads

its not driven hard and its turned off while at the rank

I do a mixed 10 mile commute, with some traffic and faster bits, and some long journeys at weekends. My 1.9 hatch routinely returns 50mpg.

I think I'd look at the air filter. The long service intervals mean it can get quite grotty and clogged up. Worth changing every time the oil's changed.

just done 22000 miles in my scout and at first the mpg was poor around 30 mpg only now am i seeing mid 40's and its had 1 sevice , it may be playing with my mind but it seemed to get beter after this.

merry xmas all:santa2:

I've had my Octavia 2.0 TD DSG for about 5 weeks and its averaging less than 40 mpg. Two weeks ago I made a 400 mile round trip, largely dual carraigeway A roads there, returning M5, M4 at about 80mph and it was showing less than 38mpg. I did the same trip again yesterday, the car now having covered nearly 2000 miles and (this time using the A303 both ways) it was up to 43mpg - a lot better but still dissapointing, and I was driving deliberately economicaly. I'd expect a car to get more economical with age, and while i'm pleased and surpirised its improved 5mpg in two weeks, I'm still surprised how poor it is.

The lowest mpg I have had out of my 105 TDi on a tankful is 46.7 In fact it's only been in 46's twice in 200 tank-fulls. The lowest figures are always during the winter and the diesel seems more affected by the low temperatures than the petrol. It can take 10miles to warm up in town traffic when the weather is cold.

Two things that I have found afffect the fuel economy:

1) Oil level. If its close to minimum on the dipstick it seems to be worse than normal by 2-3mpg.

2) Tyre pressures being down by only 4psi will lower the mpg by another 2-3mpg.

I do a lot of motoway miles so the tyre pressures and oil level might have more effect at the higher speeds though.

On single carriage-way A-roads you should see easily see mid to high 50's on the trip computer.

My overall fuel consumption is 51.7mpg (brim to brim method) over 84k miles so far.

I am only averaging 39 MPG with my estate 105 tdi is this the norm or is there something wrong,

Surly even using it as a taxi it should be nearing 45 to 48, as its mainly in a mix of town and really rural A roads

its not driven hard and its turned off while at the rank

Seems very low to me, I used to average 50mpg in my old Mk V golf 1.9TDI (105bhp), on a even mix of urban and motorway driving :confused:

Only advice I can give is similar to others, check air filter, tyre pressure, oil level and maybe consider adding a dose of Millers ?

I don't think you can expect a very good fuel consumption with 80mph on the motorway. I have to do a regular trip to Kent, 170 miles round trip on M25/A2/M2/A299, and if I crawl at 50mph I can get over 70mpg. Absolutely true. But I once belted it at 70-80 all the way and got around 48mpg. So a light right foot might be the answer.

SR

I have averaged 54 mpg over 50k according to the computer. The other day on the M1 from Leeds down to Nottingham the traffic was slow and that journey was 60.3 mpg, on the rare occasions I stay at around 80 on the motorway the consumption drops to 49-50 mpg. Normally most journeys are with myself and a car full of tools, so I run the tyres with just a little more air in.

Iam always in the mid 50,s at the moment round town.

Hope all goes well with the turbo :thumbup: Strange as the 1.9,s don,t usually have any probs:confused:

Believe mines a combination of stuck vanes and a faulty coolant temp sensor, overfueling a diesel usually results in higher exhaust temperatures.

Will soon find out, looking forward to getting it sorted as its sat on the drive looking sorry at the moment.

We only have 2 sets of traffic lights so the traffic flows easily so most of the time its an easy 30 mph out of town the roads are all A roads so 50 mph is the norm, except for when there are Sunday drivers and tesco lorries holding things up

The car is serviced regularly at 10K and I always get them to change the air filter every time, I am just wondering if it could be over fueling as when I reach the town limits I have noticed a bit of black smoke but it pulls like a train, once a week I give it some stick to clean the pipes out

Read some posts on here recently on the cage mod. There was a similar theme to the posts which related MAF problems with poor mpg and excess smoke / poor running. Some people has simply unplugged the MAF connection and replugged in a few times which seemed to improve things. Unfortunately, haven't tried it myself as my 2.0tdi shows an average of 55mpg on the trip counter.