Turbo Life for 1,4 TDI 75ps Fabia

Dear Friends,I have 1,4 TDI 75ps Fabia 2005, it's km is 130,000(81,250 mile) now, there is no problem in Turbo units up to now, but somebody in Turkey say that there will be failure in Turbo units of TDI motors between 100,000km(62,500mile) and 150,000km(93,750mile) most probably,May i receive your opinions about how long Turbo life has TDI motors? mile?or km?(i always use Eurodiesel)

If it is looked after (i.e. car is well maintained, serviced when it should be, its not thrashed everywhere, the turbo is allowed to cool down a bit before shutting the engine off etc) then the turbo should last the life of the car.

Its just as important with these variable vane turbos though to make sure they are exercied from time to time so they don't get all sooted up... :)

Its just as important with these variable vane turbos though to make sure they are exercied from time to time so they don't get all sooted up... :)

That's worth repeating. A lot of them have failed through getting sooted up, so while you shouldn't thrash the car, it's important to use the performance.

how many minutes or seconds should i wait to getting cool down for Turbo, before shutting the engine?

for example, in the end of 100 miles, how long should i wait?

and do you have any practical informations except wait to getting cool down for Turbo, for long life Turbo units,

can you share your experience with me and tell me pls what miles of your TDI car without repaired(sooted up)? i wonder longest miles TDI engines without repairing,

Thanks to all for your kind informations,

My old PD130 Passat had 135k on its original turbo. - so I win!! :rofl: I took it off the car at about 130k for inspection, and whilst a little dirty it was in pretty good condition. :)

If you go for a hard drive, take it steady for the last 5 minutes of your journey to bring everything down to a reasonable temperature, then when you get home let it idle while you take of your seat belt, plus about 10 seconds or so. The key is to get everything down to a sensible temperature before switching the engine off. :)

Oil changes performed on time with VW 505.01 spec oil, taking it easy for the last few miles of your journey then allowing to idle for at least 5 seconds before switching off should help.

My lads Audi A3 1.9 TDI has done 162K and follows my advice and has had no problems. (my fabia has got 95K)

ok friends, i will allow to idle for at least 5 seconds before switching off and will drive soft for the last miles of my journey,

and my last question about this :-)

is the fuel more important)?or is the oil more important for longer life Turbo?

Use the right oil, when trashing it, let the car idle for a bit before shutting down. IIRC the turbo on the PD100 is the original one on the estate and that had done a 240+k miles - it may have been replaced but I doubt it.

and pls advise the interval replacing oil miles for tdi 1,4 75ps? Skoda warranted services in Turkey say that we should replace oil in every 4660 miles(7500km), but most of diesel machines(cdti, crdi, multijet, dci engines replace oil in every 6215 miles(10,000km), my car's guarantee already finished,

oil dealer firms say that their oil is for minimum 6215 miles(10,000km),

thanks for clarifications,

Use the right oil, when trashing it, let the car idle for a bit before shutting down. IIRC the turbo on the PD100 is the original one on the estate and that had done a 240+k miles - it may have been replaced but I doubt it.
If that's my old one then alas no, it's not the original. It failed and was replaced under warranty at 114K miles. (I got mine in the days when Fabias had a 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty and it was about 2 years, 11 months old!)

Thanks for your information Tom, did you meaned Fabia TDI, diesel engine? or normal,

it is a big difference between 4660miles(7500km) and 10,000miles(16,093km)

i don't think there is big climate, air quality etc difference between UK and Turkey, as effecting like above,

can it be importers(distributors) wrong motion?

The turbo on my mum's old Polo 1.4 TDI went after only 600 miles. Mine's over 70,000 with no problems to date. As has been suggested, regular servicing with the correct oil, and frequent use of the full rev range will help prolong the life. Leaving the turbo to cool for a short time makes sense, although unless you screech from 100mph to a dead stop and switch off straightaway, it's debatable what kind of difference this will actually make. I have linked this article several times when this question has cropped up:

turbo_article.jpg

...although it's important to remember that the turbo on the Fabia ISN'T water-cooled (the bit about modern oils is relevant, though!)

If your car has been remapped and the turbo boost increased, you may need to take this into account when considering servicing and the possible reduction on the turbo's life.

HTH

That's a hard question, as it depends on a lot of things! I guess this is why many cars now use variable servicing, because the way the car is driven has a huge effect on the life of the oil. The oil change period for the Fabia is 10,000 miles or 1 year in the UK, which is probably fine for most people, but might be too long if the car is often driven hard. Mine gets done twice a year as I do about 15,000 miles in 12 months, so it makes sense to have the service every year and then an oil change after 6 months, rather than keeping the oil in for the full 10,000 miles and then changing it again after only 5,000 miles.

I must make clear here that I'm no expert, but I'd say that it's not worth changing the oil unless you've done at least 5,000 miles, or your year has passed. This would probably apply to all 'normal' drivers and most 'enthusiasts'. The only exception might be if the car was driven really hard on a track, in which case I'd think about changing the oil each time it had been been out on the track (along with the tyres, probably!!!)

HTH :thumbup: