Questions on Fabia by new owner

tracey

I am very smitten with my new Fabia Classic! I did want a TDI Elegance of course but its out of my price range at this time, nevermind, right here goes:

My car is 1.4 8v engine - can you tell me why the 8v were discontinued? and what the difference is in the perfomance of 8v to 16v (Im not techincally minded as you can tell l but I am very interested to know)

I have noticed that the petrol consumption is more than I was expecting although I am saving money compared to my previous 2 ltr GX Rav4, how many mile should I get with this model A) in town B) long journeys

Also, when using the air con does this use alot of extra petrol or not too much.

Ta guys

Tracey :thumbup:

I believe the 8v is slightly down on power compared to the 1.4-16v which is 100bhp and probably a newer engine? 'Fraid I can't help you with the fuel figures as I plumped for a TDI Elegance :sofahide:, but I don't notice a significant difference in fuel consumption using the air con, unless it's a really hot day and the air con is on max-chill with the blower on full..... :)

Chris

2 more valves per cylinder I guess squirts more go-go juice into the cylinder and allows more power to be extracted? How techie was that? :rofl:

Aircon is not a major mpg fuel issue - It really has a tiny %% impact and the benefit of being cool outweighs it! :cool:

My car is 1.4 8v engine - can you tell me why the 8v were discontinued? and what the difference is in the perfomance of 8v to 16v (Im not techincally minded as you can tell l but I am very interested to know)

Also' date=' when using the air con does this use alot of extra petrol or not too much.[/quote']

Hi Tracey,

Glad you like your new motor!

The 1.4 8v engine is not as power ful as the 1.4 16v - only 68 bhp, and was replaced by the 1.2 HTP engine which rates at 64bhp. I suspect the engine was phased out as in theory the newer engine should be cleaner and more economical. The engine is also used in other VAG cars such as the VW Polo & SEAT Ibiza.

Athough your air con will effect some of the fuel efficency it's not dramatic, and as Jason says its better to be cool on hot days!

2 more valves per cylinder I guess squirts more go-go juice into the cylinder and allows more power to be extracted? How techie was that? :rofl:

Does it squirt more, or are the valves smaller, which allows the engine to more accurately squirt the correct amount of fuel for the fuel/air mix, making the engine more economical and cleaner burning?

Chris

Hi Tracey

my girlfriend's got a 1.4 8v MPi Fabia.... i thought the engine was not VAG (maybe the others will shout me down!), i.e. an old Skoda engine?

we get around 42-45mpg out of it doing some motorway, some country lane work, but she does drive like a granny!

my girlfriend's got a 1.4 8v MPi Fabia.... i thought the engine was not VAG (maybe the others will shout me down!), i.e. an old Skoda engine?

Yeah, it's an old pushrod Skoda engine so has been phased out with the view to being replaced with newer more efficient engines.

Rob.

thats a shame :rolleyes:

i did see plenty of 16v for sale aswell - the skoda dealer this morning said 8v were old engines and better - he must have been patronising me...ha ha, or not revealing that my engine is more juicy than the newer ones , he didn't say alot, thats why I wanted to ask you guys, now I know - ho hum nevermind, Im saving for my TDI anyway :D

i appreciate your comments

to david steele - no wonder your girlfriend drives like a granny if the 8v is less punchy - anyway shes getting more to a gallon than you no doubt

:o

Cheers everyone- keep posting your thoughts on my engine scandal!!

:wave: Tracey

I think he gets more mpg out of his vRS with it being a diesel... Well, I hope so anyway unless he's driving it like a man possessed. :D

You know the lowly TDI comforts are OK, no need for the heated seats just to keep your ass warm in winter... isn't that right Chris? (oh, and as Chris will admit, the interior colour is better in the comfort trim :D)

I used to have an 8v and they aint slow as I am sure Jason can testify. And they are an old Skoda engine but they growl nicely if you bounce it off the rev limiter in all the gears :D

i did see plenty of 16v for sale aswell - the skoda dealer this morning said 8v were old engines and better - he must have been patronising me...

Well, it depends what he meant by better...as Denis said above, the 8v is regarded to be less problematic than the 16v.

8v engines generally are a bit more torquey than 16v, so give a nicer push lower down the rev range, but 16v engines usually rev better.

Rob.

You know the lowly TDI comforts are OK, no need for the heated seats just to keep your ass warm in winter... isn't that right Chris? (oh, and as Chris will admit, the interior colour is better in the comfort trim :D)

Can't live without my heated seats, even if they are beige :eek: :P :rofl:

Seriously though, the Comfort is definitely worth a look if you're after a TDI as they're more plentiful than Elegance trim and most will have been factory fitted with air con which I don't think was standard on them?

Only things you lose out on compared to the Elegance are:

- alarm

- chrome pack (chrome trims on handbrake, gear knob and door knobs)

- electric rear windows

- climate control

- rear ash tray (useful if you have children who smoke ;))

- alloys

- heated seats

Chris

Only things you lose out on compared to the Elegance are:

- alarm

- chrome pack (chrome trims on handbrake' date=' gear knob and door knobs)

- electric rear windows

- climate control

- rear ash tray (useful if you have children who smoke ;))

- alloys

- heated seats

Chris[/quote']alarm.. yeah, ok

chrome - Milotec can get over this ;)

leccy rear windas... yeah, ok... but I'm rarely in the back :P

climate control - does it? air con is fine though

rear ashtray- the one in the centre bit? cuz I got something back there. :P

alloys - can be got around ;)

heated seats - yer namby pamby wuss. :D

alarm.. yeah' date=' ok

chrome - Milotec can get over this ;)

leccy rear windas... yeah, ok... but I'm rarely in the back :P

climate control - does it? air con is fine though

rear ashtray- the one in the centre bit? cuz I got something back there. :P

alloys - can be got around ;)

heated seats - yer namby pamby wuss. :D[/quote']

Didn't think air con was standard fit on the Comfort? Is listed as an option in the brochure, but I have to say I've never seen one without it fitted!

Oh, and I got the 3 button key fob too :P

But I guess it's all down to what Tracey wants from a car ;)

Chris

:rofl:

My car came from the good old age when it WAS standard fit on the comfort trim. I think there's a couple of other things which are now just options on that spec.

I got a two button key fob... from K though. :thumbup: And it does what I want... open, and lock. :D Oh and it makes the indicators flash like a yuppie executive car. :rolleyes:

In case what you've read here makes you feel you have an inferior engine, take a look at this thread on the Honest John site.

In particular this post near the end.

"When VW were looking to buy Skoda one of the tests they did was to put this much maligned push rod engine on the test bench and tried to break it. They tried everything they knew and went beyond the point where they knew one of their own engines would have given up the ghost long before. The Skoda engine still ran and all they managed to do was create a chip on the bottom of one of the piston skirts. In the old phrase "they liked the product so much they bought the company"

I've no complaints about my 8v 1.4 after 7000 miles. I knew what I was buying but when I bought mine the Silverline was a brilliant package for the money.

Why would anyone want heated seats? Don't all cars have heaters nowadays? You wouldn't have a heated sofa in your house.

What I would like to know is why the 1.4 16V is 100 bhp in a wee Fabia and only 75 bhp in the much bigger Octy???

Possibly tuned to give more torque lower down to shift the larger car? Hence a lower top end...do you know at what revs the power output is quoted for each?

Rob.