Heated Washer Nozzles and Dimming Door Mirrors

This morning although the car had been left out all night and the temperature this morning was -5C the windscreen washers worked fine, after 20 minutes of driving they had frozen up. Odd as they are shielded by the bonnet from wind chill. Also the head light washers froze up in the "out" position. How do I know if I have got the heated windscreen washer nozzles I paid for.

Although the interior auto dimming mirror works well how do you you know if the door mirrors are also working, I see no difference in headlights behind me in the door mirrors with the interior auto dimming on or off. They seem as brighter than in the interior mirror.

Small niggles but important to us pedantic Superb owners.

Oddly Andy (Bagpuss) has got the exact same problem this morning.

You can check if you have the heated washer nozzles by looking under the bonnet and looking at the drivers side washer fluid feed to the nozzle if it has an electrical wire going into it then it has the heated washer nozzles.

Just occurred to me - what switches-on the Heated Washer Nozzles?

On my Mondeo the Quickclear heated front screen also turns on the heated washer nozzles.

When I ordered my Superb the options screen the dealer had stated " Heated Headlamp wash" or something similar. They checked with Skoda and said it was an error on the options list - it meant heated washer nozzles and not heated headlamp wash.

No not antifreeze, I don't think that is very good for paint work, but the washer fluid is a strong screenwash mix which reduces the freezing point.

Thanks James, yes my Superb does have the tell tale wire, but are the heated washer nozzles on all the time or are they switched and linked to another heating device as suggested?

Well, washer fluid was the word i was looking for.......Tnx, now i know :thumbup:

As for me that lives in Sweden the freezing point for my washer fluid is -25C at the moment.....

Maybe your freezing point for the washer fluid is like -5C and with the windchill effect the nozzles freez up......

Just an idea.

Oddly Andy (Bagpuss) has got the exact same problem this morning.

You can check if you have the heated washer nozzles by looking under the bonnet and looking at the drivers side washer fluid feed to the nozzle if it has an electrical wire going into it then it has the heated washer nozzles.

just for the record, whilst we are being pedantic, i showed james that !! we compared my car with the SE in his showroom and the lack of wire in the SE is obvious when compared to a car with this extra. :thumbup:

i notice the same as you re the auto dimming door mirror. they dont seem to make much difference (which might be a good thing - i had them on my old A6 and they went as dark as the rear view mirror..totally hopeless on the motorway as you couldnt tell which lane the approaching headlights were in as the mirrors we way too dark).

i tried turning them on and off to see if it makes a difference - i used the rear view mirorr switch as i assume the sensor on the rear view mirror works the door mirrors (it did on the A6). i cant tell any difference.

Having just gotten back from a road trip to the alps in my octy 2, I would have loved to have heated washer nozzles. For what they cost, everyone should spec them IMO. Same for the auto dimming mirrors.

just for the record, whilst we are being pedantic, i showed james that !! we compared my car with the SE in his showroom and the lack of wire in the SE is obvious when compared to a car with this extra. :thumbup:

My SE was ordered with heated washer nozles - I spotted a substantial group of wires disappearing into the bonnet through a grommet in the vicinity of the driver's side washers (between washer and the edge of the bonnet IIRC) , but I could not see any wires going into the washer itself. Is this group of wires that I have seen, the wiring you mean ?

Secondly I am still wondering about my otherwise-standard SE and the dipping passenger mirror in reverse mode, which mine will not do. anyone got a std SE in their showroom and can confirm or otherwise that their Se behaves the same ?

drivers side under bonnet near the hinge - tube that contains the water + wires for heater. if no heater then a rubber nipple hanging down with no wires going into it at the side of the water tube. not sure why you saw a "substantial group" as there is no need for any wires other than the heaters. it could have been the water tube which is wrapped in a plastic sleeve that looked like a group of wires. happy to take a piccie of mine when i get chance.

dipping passneger door mirror only happens with memory seats as the final resting position for the mirror once reverse is engaged is stored on the memory button so that different drivers who sit in different positions can have the dipping passneger mirror set in the correct place for them.

Thanks Jonathan - yes I think you are right about the tube looking like a wiring harness.

And thanks for a definitive answer ref "dipping" exterior mirror!

Harry

you are welcome. I am 99% certain re the mirror. I havent tried it on an SE bu can only summise that because my car uses the memory to store the position then as the SE doesnt have this memory the function will not work.