Trip to Czech and back

XP3NNY

Hey guys,

Over the past Christmas & New year I went (drove) back home to Czech and I'd like to share with you my experience from this trip as it was slightly different to all the other times I went.

Before leaving I had to do all the necessary things you have to do going abroad. Got me green card, those annoying stickers for headlamps, swapped my 18" wheels for 16" with new tyres, checked all the fluids and that was it. Forgot to put in antifreeze ... ups

Start of this trip wasn't very good as I got stucked in Dover for over 2 hours and on top of that I was stopped by customs (so far I done 5 crossings Dover 2 Calais and they stopped me every single time). Usual questions: where you going, what you do, is this car yours (ouh yes! ) etc. After 15 minutes I was let go, just to find out I missed my ferry and had to wait for another two hours.

France and Belgium were piece of cake, same as short journey through Holland. The fun bit started at Germany. Even though a big part of their motorways is restricted to 130kph, there are still nice 'stretches' where you can put your foot down. I had my car remapped back in September so I was very excited about testing out what it can do. To cut long story sort, top speed was 150mph (Sat nav & dials) ... wow and the biggest surprise is the acceleration at about 110mph. When I put my foot down it goes like a devil.

When I arrived to Czech I was sad to find out that my car is un-drivable without winter tyres even though there was no snow so I ended up driving my parents car.

Way back was a 21 hours horror story with snow in Austria & 3 hours traffic jam in Germany. Traffic was so bad in Germany (whole of 550 miles) that I weren't able to try the top speed again. Top make up the lost time I drove like a bit faster through rest of the countries ... and again, I've missed that ferry by 10 minutes. And guess why ..... customs.

David

Coming back from the Ring in May was the first time I hadn't been stopped by customs in every trip I'd gone abroad too. Remember being stopped after the last Ring trip and my boot was just full of track wheels and tools. :rofl: Customs lady looked bemused, but understood,

Hey guys,

I had my car remapped back in September so I was very excited about testing out what it can do. To cut long story sort, top speed was 150mph (Sat nav & dials) ... wow and the biggest surprise is the acceleration at about 110mph. When I put my foot down it goes like a devil.

David

What engine have you got and what map did you get?

150mph isn't bad for a 1.8! :D

Wonder what top speed a mapped PD130 would do? Can't imagine diesels having too high a top speed (I have no idea though!)

With enough road and a tailwind around 145mph is feasible, with perhaps 150 as well on downhill bits. Will be pushing the redline then I imagine in top gear.

Nice post man. I have a 130bhp 1.9TDi with a Dragon Box ... so theoretically could be 175bhp ... more likely around the 160bhp mark though I reckon. I haven't taken it much past 125mph yet but I'd be seriously impressed with anything over 140mph for a 1.9TDi.

So your 150mph is awesome. Nice one. :thumbup:

For those travelling abroad, please note that you also need high visibility jacket (can't leave a car without wearing it, if you stop on the hard shoulder), first aid kit, spare bulbs, warning triangle & towing rope(?). I haven't mentioned those things in my original post as I have them in my car all the time.

D.

Hmmm.... interesting, my post from yesterday either got lost or removed :mad:

Anyway, main points repeated again:

What was the fuel consumption? I want to compare 1.8T against 2.5TDI V6.

Superb 2.5V6 TDI burns 12l/100km (24mpg) for 120mph average across Germany, 10l/100km (28mpg) for 100mph average speed. What are your numbers? For averages, best to take border to border distance and divide by time minus the stopovers.

Top speed of 2.5V6 TDI after some attention:) is 152mph actual (GPS). The dials underread by 6-8mph at these speeds. But it takes a while to get to this speed, 130mph-135mph is the useful cruising speed at which there still is acceleration.

By the way, one (vented) fuel tank is sufficient to get 3 hours worth of driving at these speeds.

You do not need headlight stickers for 06+ Superbs (ones with folding rear seats), just switch the tourist levers inside headlights with a long thin screwdriver. I drive flat beam most of the time nowadays. On previous car, I tied fishing line to tourist level and brought the adjustment outside through 2 tiny holes.

For insurance, you do not need green cards anymore in the EU, your UK insurance will do just fine, and the NU/Aviva insurance gives you 6 months comprehensive outside UK included for a token fee. LV also do that, but I think 3 months?

For crossing channel, it's better to use Tunnel - cheaper and 2x faster overall than ferries (1hr total vs 2hrs for the ferry if you include loading/disembarking), and definitely safer in winter, at least for passenger cars (closed carriages). If you do it a lot like myself, get a Frequent Traveller ticket.

When travelling across Germany, it's best to avoid A3 and A4, there are at least 3 alternative routes. Fuel in Luxembourg is 15% less expensive, it's a good stopover point if you go anywhere central/south.

Best time of travel is at night, unless you fall asleep in mid-sentence like my wife does around 3am. Traffic is a lot lighter at night, the averages achievable are 30%-50% higher than in daytime.

Last but not least, given the large amount of snow in South German cities, winter tyres definitely make sense this year.

Edited by dieselV6

Superb 2.5V6 TDI burns 12l/100km (24mpg) for 120mph average across Germany, 10l/100km (28mpg) for 100mph average speed. What are your numbers? For averages, best to take border to border distance and divide by time minus the stopovers.

Top speed of 2.5V6 TDI after some attention:) is 152mph actual (GPS). The dials underread by 6-8mph at these speeds. But it takes a while to get to this speed, 130mph-135mph is the useful cruising speed at which there still is acceleration.

By the way, one (vented) fuel tank is sufficient to get 3 hours worth of driving at these speeds.

You do not need headlight stickers for 06+ Superbs (ones with folding rear seats), just switch the tourist levers inside headlights with a long thin screwdriver. I drive flat beam most of the time nowadays. On previous car, I tied fishing line to tourist level and brought the adjustment outside through 2 tiny holes.

For insurance, you do not need green cards anymore in the EU, your UK insurance will do just fine, and the NU/Aviva insurance gives you 6 months comprehensive outside UK included for a token fee. LV also do that, but I think 3 months?

For crossing channel, it's better to use Tunnel - cheaper and 2x faster overall than ferries (1hr total vs 2hrs for the ferry if you include loading/disembarking), and definitely safer in winter, at least for passenger cars (closed carriages). If you do it a lot like myself, get a Frequent Traveller ticket.

When travelling across Germany, it's best to avoid A3 and A4, there are at least 3 alternative routes. Fuel in Luxembourg is 15% less expensive, it's a good stopover point if you go anywhere central/south.

Best time of travel is at night, unless you fall asleep in mid-sentence like my wife does around 3am. Traffic is a lot lighter at night, the averages achievable are 30%-50% higher than in daytime.

Last but not least, given the large amount of snow in South German cities, winter tyres definitely make sense this year.

All useful continental travel tips!

Good to have you back, DieselV6, where you been?

You dont need stickers for the head lights there is a lever inside the dipped beam housing you need a pair of long pliers and just move it across to the left or right takes about 10 Min's to do, why did you swap the wheels to 16 inch ?????

You dont need stickers for the head lights there is a lever inside the dipped beam housing you need a pair of long pliers and just move it across to the left or right takes about 10 Min's to do, why did you swap the wheels to 16 inch ?????

I knew that road were going slippery so I went for the 16" wheels instead of 18". I my car hasn't got traction control so the 18" wheels would 'ice skates' on these roads.

I knew that road were going slippery so I went for the 16" wheels instead of 18". I my car hasn't got traction control so the 18" wheels would 'ice skates' on these roads.

It will have an esp button just turn it off and you get better grip in snow:thumbup:

Wheel my fuel consumption was 11mpg @ 150mph. At cruising speed of around 100mph I get 29mpg.

My trip was 1041 miles one way. It took me 18 hours (including 2 hours on ferry) and I did 30.9mpg on average. I don't stop anywhere apart form taking petrol & ferry ...

Funny you say about A3 & A4 ... they're real nightmare, but when they're clear is fast ... very fast :-)

Not sure about Tunnel being cheaper then ferry though. Every time I check it's much more expensive ...

The tunnel is very cheap from midnight to 6 AM if you tow a caravan you can take it for free at those times, thats what we always do the last time we went it cost £10

The tourist levers actually go up and down, they are also a tw@ to find if you don't know where to look for them.

...my fuel consumption was 11mpg @ 150mph....

Lol, what?? I get about 48 @ 120mph*... the faster I go the better my consumption gets. Still, that's with a Skoda speedo not GPS, so I was obviously only doing 50mph.

* On private land, I'd like to add.

Lol, what?? I get about 48 @ 120mph*... the faster I go the better my consumption gets. Still, that's with a Skoda speedo not GPS, so I was obviously only doing 50mph.

* On private land, I'd like to add.

I've never seen 48mpg on my maxidot :eek:. The best I've ever done was 40.1mpg on an hour journey @ around 50mph ... and that was one off :D