cambelt change

I'd check those quotes, I paid £422 to have mine done at VW, that was the full monty of 3 belts a water pump and tensioner, £270 seem's way too cheap for the job as it's more involved than most belt changes on other cars.

Labour time is about the same though so shouldn't be that different.

Labour time is about the same though so shouldn't be that different.

I thought my price was about right from a main agent and I just can't see how this job can get sub £300 without mates rates coming into play, even a Vectra will cost £250 for a belt change and they are simple to access.

Isn't it because the main dealers have to charge a lot more labour hourly rate to cover overheads etc

My cambelt and water pump was £330 from my Skoda garage in London, so £70 less is probably the labour saving. £260 seems OK to me for an independant garage in the Midlands.

VW includes water pump but will their work invalidate my Skoda warranty?

How old's the car if you've still got warranty but need the cambelt the doing? You must have racked up some miles then :confused:

Isn't it because the main dealers have to charge a lot more labour hourly rate to cover overheads etc

My cambelt and water pump was £330 from my Skoda garage in London, so £70 less is probably the labour saving. £260 seems OK to me for an independant garage in the Midlands.

Skoda wanted £460, and I've seen some asking for £500 before, the cheapest quote I got was £290 by an independant guy and that was belt and pump only, add the tensioner and auxbelts and that would've been £350 minimum, and none were VW parts either, iirc the pump and belt kit was £150 of the total, I got VW to do it because they know the car better and you get a reasonable warranty with it.

can i check with someone what mileage you should get the cambelt changed, mine is an 05 plate with 40,000 on the clock now ?

thanks

I was told that it should be done at 60K.

I was quoted 600Euro by skoda dealer for cambelt,pump,pullies etc.

can i check with someone what mileage you should get the cambelt changed, mine is an 05 plate with 40,000 on the clock now ?

thanks

IIRC on yours, next year or at 80k...there's various debates on the forum, try searching.

I think Lummox/Rotodiesel/DieselV6 have the definitive answer.

thanks

80k on an 05 but we advise at four years that is assuming its a PD, you havent told us I dont think.

Edited by Lummox

Gents - think Lummox is being a gent - in that he's offering advice - you might find asking him for a quote a bit better -after all he is in the business .And from what I've seen -you might get a pleasant surprise .From other posts - peeps travel from all over to get the service at a decent price .(plus our 2.5% comision for getting him the business:rofl::rofl:)