Track wheels & Tyres

geordie_21

I'm looking at buying a set of track wheels and tyres for a ring trip in August, last year I went on my Eagle F1s and was sliding all over the place! I figured this year I would try and do it properly (and a bit safer) so am in the market for a set of wheels and tyres. I'm not really looking to spend a fortune on the rims but the tyres I really dont mind as It's what keeps you on the black stuff :). I started looking for the same size wheel I have now 205x45x16 but the tyre I was lookin at Toyo R888 doesnt appear to come in that size? Anybody got any ideas or reccomendations, should I upsize to 17's or change the brand of tyre and go with the 16's. I found a 'Federal' that fitted my 16s anyone got any experience of these?

What are other people running and on what wheels? I read a post using the search that 'Shifty' drove to the ring and back with a set of R888s but must of been on 17's

Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated

toyo r888s are supposably awesome in the dry, but if its wet or greasy, they are going to be much worse than your last time i bet.

why not the michelin pilot sport 2 or michelin pilot sport cups, they're good enough for porshe etc. highly regarded in being the best all round tyres on the market as well.

ive not tracked my pilot sport 2 tyres yet, but already just from fast road abuse, they are miles ahead of the michelin exaltos that my vrs came with standard.

My current Kumho KU31's (205/50R17) were excellent around the ring, especially in the wet.

Avon ZV3's were terrible!

Mate ran some R888's on his Evo VIII, which were so shocking in the wet that I was faster than him!

Choose a tyre that is good in the wet as well as the dry. If it starts chucking it down half way, and your on some tyres like 888's.... your pretty screwed.

The ring becomes a real widowmaker when it first rains after a dry spell. I've seen 3 of my mates crash in the wet there, so beware.

Can't wait to go again, once things warm up a little!

i agree, i really want some toyo R888s but the trade off in the rain is crazy. im getting a set of steelies with winter tyres on soon, so i could always get the toyos once my michelins wear down, bt the are such good alrounders.

2007 evo tyre test reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres try this link. they rate the goodyear eagle f1 as the best all round performance tyre.

and this link compares all the street legal track tyres

autobild trackday tyre review reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Thanks for the help guys! I can see this size in the Toyo R888 205/55R16, think I'll PM Shifty and ask what his setup was as he drove their and back with 40 laps in betewen on the Toyos.

John

205/55 would be too high for legal road use if standard is 205/45.

This also may be of some interest if you intend using R888's in the winter.

.....as some **** did on here. :o

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/TireStorage.pdf

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Good advice guys, I'm really happy with my Eagle F1s for everyday road use, I'm planning on putting the 888's on a set of track wheels for this years ring trip in August. I am however considering driving across on the track wheels though but if there is enough room in one of the vans taking the bikes I'll see if I can stick them in there in case it rains. Whatever tyre I go with I'll let you know how it works out!

Thanks for the reccomendations, John :)

BTW I'll make sure I post up my ring trip dates in the track day section in case any Brisky members are across for a play

I'm wondering where legality comes into it?

It's illegal to use a car where the speedometer reads a lower speed than the actual speed, and the just over 7% increase in rolling radius from going up 2 sections on a 205 width tyre will probably do that to most VAG cars.

I've tried lots of different tyres on the Red Devil, these are the best i've found for all round use and conditions and will run at very high speeds. :D

Michelin Pilot Sport

I've heard very good things about the Pilot Sports. My buddy with a Leon FR uses them and loves them. He recons the Pirellis are terrible in comparison, and the Eagles wore out in no time.

Only bad thing is the high price you have to pay for the performance.

I used my normal road tyres out there (Avons and Pirellis) which were rubbish but then I wasn't pushing the car hard anyway. Most people I went with drove out there on Kumho/Toyo road tyres and had sets of R888s on the trailer we took with us.

I didn't even bother trying to do a lap when it was wet... you can just come back the next day and hope it's dry. Not only will the tyres struggle for grip, you'll be more stressed having to look out for people up front and overtaking in the spray, and the chances are much higher that someone will stack it into the armco and close the track for half the evening anyway! :rolleyes: Go down the 4wd centre or nip into Adenau for a beer instead!

I used my normal road tyres out there (Avons and Pirellis) which were rubbish but then I wasn't pushing the car hard anyway. Most people I went with drove out there on Kumho/Toyo road tyres and had sets of R888s on the trailer we took with us.

I didn't even bother trying to do a lap when it was wet... you can just come back the next day and hope it's dry. Not only will the tyres struggle for grip, you'll be more stressed having to look out for people up front and overtaking in the spray, and the chances are much higher that someone will stack it into the armco and close the track for half the evening anyway! :rolleyes: Go down the 4wd centre or nip into Adenau for a beer instead!

IMHO my Eagle F1s were outastanding last year till the last few minutes then began to slide a bit and lost confidence. Fortunately it never rained when I was there last, the track was closed more often from liquid spills - plenty of cars stacking it though.

BTW 'Shifty' told me he went with the Toyo R888 195x50x16 on his fabia (standard rims) any legalities on this one?

John

Yeah I lost the back end of the Skoda on the left-right combination after Metzgesfeld. Carried too much speed in for the conditions.

Had a massive tank slapper moment, which I blame on the power steering, but got her straight again!

It's almost too easy in the dry, but then it rains, and you get a painful reminder that it's not so easy!

I feel like an old man in a pub, telling strangers some pointless story that nobody is listening too.......

Yeah I lost the back end of the Skoda on the left-right combination after Metzgesfeld. Carried too much speed in for the conditions.

Had a massive tank slapper moment, which I blame on the power steering, but got her straight again!

Love the excuse :rofl: I think thats one of the excuses off the 'justgofaster' site!

If or when it happens I've already got my excuse lined up...think I'll go with a patch of diesel

BTW 'Shifty' told me he went with the Toyo R888 195x50x16 on his fabia (standard rims) any legalities on this one?

John

Possibly; you'd still be raising the gearing 5% from standard. The formula you want is (new size * new aspect ratio) / (old size / old aspect ratio) if you're staying with the same wheel diameter.

If you change wheel size it's ((new size * new aspect ratio)+(new wheel size *12.7)) / ((old size / old aspect ratio)+(old wheel size * 12.7)), and you have a potential leagal issue with overgearing if the andser comes out greater than 1.00.

Love the excuse :rofl: I think thats one of the excuses off the 'justgofaster' site!

If or when it happens I've already got my excuse lined up...think I'll go with a patch of diesel

Haha yeah it's a good excuse that one! It can't possibly be driver error! It was a policeman that first gave me the spilt diesel excuse after my first spin out at 17!

Believe it or not, I had to take avoiding action at high speed in a Volvo 480 once, to avoid a pair of badgers prowling about in the middle of the road at 1am! Best excuse ever!

Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance ::

Have a look at the trackday tyres section. Also worth asking around on Scoobynet etc. Assuming some of the more informed people are still around...

EDIT: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b0s1755p9467

J.

Edited by vindaloo
try these :-)

Haha yeah it's a good excuse that one! It can't possibly be driver error! It was a policeman that first gave me the spilt diesel excuse after my first spin out at 17!

And another one who told me I'd skidded on tree sap after I rolled the ZX. Amazingly enough, I didn't argue with that!