My Fabia Accident Pictures (rear ended)

Cliveski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think third party liabilty has been accepted then you can get in touch with Directline and ask if they will handle the repair for you. (They will confirm the liability aspect). That way Swift has no say in settlement of the claim. Its an increasingly common arrangement for "other party's fault" accidents. It should have the added advantage of not affecting your "invisible NCB" - (even if it wasnt your fault, Swift will put up your renewal premium)

Recent dealings my son has had with Swift confirm they are cheap skates. I've always had excellent service with Direct Line though.

Maybe too late to disengage Swift though, so after talking with Directline, check with Swift if they agree and TELL THEM TO PUT IT WRITING. My experience is Swift never put anything in writing and often renage on verbal promises.

As I previously posted, I'm not surprised that its not a writeoff.

BTW Swift has now decided that £1700 minus your excess is the limit of their liabilty, so taking it to another repairer (Stoneacre) will probably mean you will foot the balance. My local Stoneacre body shop is very expensive.

Edited by skodakid
Afterthought........

Called in at Stoneacre this morning and talked about my concerns with the bodyshop guy - he was in the process of inspecting it and adding it up . . . he said he would also be suprised if it wasn't written off as he was sure the cost would be over £2k . . . fingers crossed . . .

If stoneacre submit a higher quote then it could get interesting. it looks like £1700 is the max your insurers are going to pay out, so if its written off then you could find yourself £1K down with only a £1700 payout on the car.

I think Swift almost definitely will restrict their payout to £1700 minus excess (i.e. £1450 if you have a £250 excess). It will be an uphill struggle to get your excess refunded knowing Swift.

You should talk to the other party's insurance (directline?). I suspect they will cough up the market value of the car to Swift without hesitation, and Swift will pocket the difference. So talk to them anyway to make sure thats not the case.

Its only a phone call, and information is everything in this situation.....

GOOD NEWS, my second opinion seems to have worked. Stoneacre apparently quoted £2700 for the repair. The Swiftcover engineer just phoned me to say the car is being written off. They have offered me £2800 which is apperently the best they can do. In the scheme of things I reckon that is okay so long as they don't want to deduct any for the alloys having been removed and it now wearing steel wheels. Will let you know the final outcome.

GOOD NEWS, my second opinion seems to have worked. Stoneacre apparently quoted £2700 for the repair. The Swiftcover engineer just phoned me to say the car is being written off. They have offered me £2800 which is apperently the best they can do. In the scheme of things I reckon that is okay so long as they don't want to deduct any for the alloys having been removed and it now wearing steel wheels. Will let you know the final outcome.

Not a bad result overall then.

Just to wrap this thread up I can confirm it has all been resolved now :)

I got a £2800 pay out and was able to keep my alloy wheels (replaced them with steel wheels) and 9 day old battery (put the old one back in which was sufficient once re-charged). I will also be getting a £73 refund on my road tax. In the scheme of things I'm happy as there were a few things I was about to pay out on - anti-roll bar and bushes and fixing the flap motors as although I got the aircon working again it was either hot or cold with not a lot between.

In the scheme of things I'm happy as there were a few things I was about to pay out on - anti-roll bar and bushes and fixing the flap motors as although I got the aircon working again it was either hot or cold with not a lot between.

I know its all sorted now but maybe worth bearing in mind for the future (if you get another) or may help others. In regards to the heater unless told otherwise this maybe of help;

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/winter-hasnt-been-kind/137390/

I will also be getting a £73 refund on my road tax.

Good luck with that... I just got turned down as according to the letter I received, the rules changed in Jan 09. I was supposedly not the registered vechicle owner and did not tell DVLA I had sold the car (I had a v5 for the car and returned the slip when I sold it)... The morons. I have complained and have not heard anything back as yet. Make sure you copy all the documents before you send them. So you have some proof. I had 10 months tax outstanding.